“For the business traveler”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel has an amazing location in the very heart of Center City and was right across from the Reading Terminal Market. On arrival, I was greeted by super-friendly doormen and the check-in staff were lively and gracious. I should note that I was staying at the hotel as part of a larger conference, and a couple of people in my group did not receive the conference materials at check-in as they were supposed to, but I did not experience this particular difficulty.

The lobby has a very open floor plan with an elevated central bar, which was lovely and a great place to hang out between events. There were two banks of elevators, which was a little confusing, but the difference merely resulted in a longer walk once you reached your floor if you choose the wrong set, so not a big deal.

The rooms were generally nice, but included the bare minimum and appeared intended for business travel, rather than leisure. There was no refrigerator or mini-bar in the rooms. There were no robes in the rooms either. What was in the room could use some updating and improvement also. The closet space left much to be desired as in my room the closet was primarily taken up by a central HVAC pillar that left only a little bit of usable space to hang up my coat and suits. Only one of the two phones in my room worked – and in my colleague's room, neither of her phones had a speaker function, which made joining a conference call from her room extremely awkward. The safe in my room also did not work. I tried to call Guest Services on three separate occasions and no one ever answered. Eventually, I just gave up. I liked that the bedside lamp had power outlets built into the base, but the outlets in the lamp do not charge unless the lamp is on, which I didn't realize until the morning when I discovered that my phone was completely charged down. I ended moving one of the other bedside tables aside and unplugging the lamp to reach the other power outlet in the wall. There was a spacious bathroom, although the tub was a bit small. The shower head was large, but the water pressure was poor.

In re-reading this review, I appear to have a lot of complaints, but these are just nit-picks of an otherwise fine hotel. My overall impression of the hotel was positive, and I enjoyed my stay. The time I spent in the room was minimal, mostly just to sleep and the bed was comfortable and came with lots of pillows.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank khp_infairfax
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay, the hotel’s great location and the friendliness of our staff. I would like to apologize for the room defects you had to endure. Your feedback is vital in our continued effort to improve our guests’ overall experience. I would like to follow-up on these issues so that they can be corrected moving forward. So if you like, could you please forward your name, room number and dates of stay to randy.arpea@marriott.com. We appreciate your business and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stay regularly at Marriott branded properties and were very disappointed in this hotel. When we booked, we were guaranteed 2 connecting rooms for our family of 4 (including 2 young children). We also informed the hotel we would be arriving at 8:00 pm. When we arrived, the valet informed us he could not park the car and directed my husband to self park across the street in another garage. So he went to park and I approached the front desk, looking slightly bedraggled after a long day with both children. I received a cool welcome - no smile, no eye contact, and we were made to wait. (Guess I should have worn a badge that said platinum member?) We were then informed that there were no connecting rooms and that the suite my husband had reserved was not ready - and would not be ready until 9:15pm. That was not an option, as the kids were very sleepy, so we took one room. The manager promised to send up a roll away bed immediately. I also called for it when we got to the room. After a 20 minute wait, I called again. That prompted housekeeping to arrive with sheets for the sofa bed, but we had to wait longer for the rollaway. It was clear we were not a priority. And the final straw: The king size bed in the room was the hardest and most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in at a Marriott- period. Can't wait to leave this place.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Kleo64
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent experience, I appreciate the opportunity to benefit from your feedback. I would like to apologize for the multiple service failures you experience upon arrival and for not fully recognizing you as a Platinum Elite member. It is our goal to make all our guests feel welcome. We will be utilizing your feedback in our quest to improve the service we offer. Thank you again for your time and consideration, we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We are frequent Marriott patrons and usually love the Marriott brand. This Marriott exceeded our expectations. Rudolpho at the front desk was extremely helpful. We asked for an upgrade and he found us a hospitality suite which was quite roomy. He,also, very graciously gave us a much needed late checkout so that we could enjoy an afternoon at the Barnes Museum without having to rush back or leave our belongings behind the desk.
The only slight glitch was with evening turn down service which they forgot to do but that was a small problem.
As other reviewers have noted,the hotel has a great location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The hotel is very well located and connected, since the train station is right there. Walking distance from a lot of shops and close to all he main tourist attractions. The rooms are spacious, very clean and really comfortable beds. It has no wifi, so you have to go to the Starbucks located by the lobby.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Found the room to be clean and offered everything I needed. The safe was very easy to use. Housekeeping was extremely courteous and helpful. Every day I was asked if there was anything I needed. The bed felt a little stiff but not horrible. The hotel lobby bar offered a nice setting and was an enjoyable place to hang out after a long day. The location was perfect as everything I wanted to see was within walking distance, Art museum, Liberty Bell, Geno's and Pat's. Stayed in Room 7721, not much of view, see pic. These rooms were located across the skyway. The pro was it was very quiet. If you like to use the gym they did have a small one available that was a little too small for more liking. If you are a fitness person stay in the main tower.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, the rooms across the skyway work magnificently.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is clean, up to date, and well maintained.

The location is top notch, you can walk to all the trendy restaurants, Reading Terminal, Rittenhouse Square, Convention Center, Broad Street, and much much more!

Starbucks located in the lobby! Which is a bonus to those you can't resist the caffeine!

"13" had quaint little bar, we stif drinks.

The housekeeping staff very friendly and helpful.

A few if the front desk staff members seemed stressed out to the max!

I felt safe in this hotel, the security did a good job at monitoring any unwanted people coming into the hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank yanksgirlinfl
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here for a recent wedding. The staff was very accommodating. When we arrived Valet took the car and we got checked in promptly. The gentleman "Joe" was very helpful and friendly. He offered upgrade options of city view and executive suites. It was Mothers day weekend so we splurged. We got a suite with the city view. The room was not the biggest but it was very nice. Everything was modern and well kept. The bed was comfortable! The worst thing was the noise from outside echoed into the room. Not much I think that they could do about that... The one disappointment was the lack of room service in the day. We wanted to get breakfast but they did not offer that. We had to go to Starbucks and restaurant for that. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The standard is nice too but upgrade if you can!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple