“We like very much”

Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #34 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We went to a show and this hotel just fits right into that plan. It is in walking distance to most the of the major show venue's, great restaurants and attractions. The staff is very good, the breakfast is good, the rooms are very nice. ( Don't forget the cookies at check in - always a nice touch!) I simply cannot give it an excellent review because I feel it needs some updating in the lobby area, hallways near rooms and restaurant. I'm not sure what style they are going for but it seems old to me and in need of something! Parking a little expensive as well for what you have to put up with. $25 a night for self and $38 for valet.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Loveagoodmeal
KTMurnane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Loveagoodmeal,
Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay. For the theater-going crowd (not to mention a whole lot of other crowds), our location just can't be beat! Please return soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I booked a reservation one month in advance for the Double Tree in downtown Philadelphia while I was to attend a conference. I called the day before my reservation to confirm and told them what time I'd be arriving, and everything was set to go. At least that's what I was told. I arrived at the hotel around 10 pm only to be casually told by the front desk attendant that they had overbooked the hotel and had no rooms available. Are you kidding me?! I had a reservation confirmed and I'm a Hilton Honors member yet they just canceled my reservation without even calling or emailing me. I traveled all the way to Philadelphia only to be turned away at the door. The front desk offered to pay for a taxi back to the airport. There was no offer to even a comp or discount another room. There was a large convention in town that week, so I called every other hotel in town and none had any rooms available. I ended up sleeping in the 30th st train station until 5 am and missing the first day of the conference. I'm lucky I didn't get robbed. I called the corporate office 3 times to complain about this and didn't receive any reply even after filing a complaint. They don't care about their customers at all. I'm never booking a stay at the Double Tree or Hilton property again.

2  Thank ColumbiaNYC
KTPMurnane, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear ColumbiaNYC,
Thank you for your comments. We certainly apologize for this inconvenience, and any miscommunication that may have occurred that evening. Our hotel was in fact oversold on that night due to in house guests extending their departure dates. Our night auditor apologized for the situation and secured an alternative hotel room (the Wyndham Hotel at the airport) with transportation to and from, with the hotel picking up the room charges. This is standard procedure in the hotel industry on the infrequent chance that a hotel cannot honor a reservation. In fact, we had two other guests that evening who we also had to move to the Wyndham and received the same message that was delivered to you. Our night auditor indicates that you turned down this arrangement and asked to have your reservation cancelled. She also states that you left your debit card in the hotel lobby where another guest found it and turned it over to the same night auditor, who in turn called you on your cell phone. You returned to the hotel, secured your card, and thanked the night auditor with no additional comments or inquiries. Again, we apologize for this inconvenience and hope that you have an opportunity to stay with us in the future under more favorable circumstances.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Doubletree staff are very helpful. The restaurant/bar has a good selection of drinks and decent food. This hotel has the noisiest elevators I have ever heard. I actually thought my room was in the flight path for the airport. Whatever you do, do not accept any room with the last number of 8, 10 or 12. These are right next to the elevators. One of the them is actually between the elevators. Mold in the shower and sinks that did not drain. Again the staff was helpful and cheerful but they are dealing with a property that is basically flawed.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have great views. Again avoid rooms with numbers ending in 8, 10 and 12; they are...
1  Thank Kevin M

Dear Kevin M,
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. We apologize that you were disturbed by noise during your stay. We all enjoy a little exaggeration, but “flight path for the airport” loud; that’s priceless! Obviously all hotels have rooms that are located adjacent to or near their elevators and these rooms can have elevated (no pun intended) noise levels compared to those away from the elevators.. All of our guest rooms, including those numbered 08, 10, and 12 are clean and comfortable and are occupied and enjoyed by our guests throughout the year. As in any hotel, if you are a light sleeper you should request a room away from the elevators. Our friendly front desk staff will do everything they can to honor those requests. Thank you again for your comments and congratulations on being a TripAdvisor Senior Contributor.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The room was clean and good sized; the bed was very comfortable; the staff was friendly and helpful; the hotel's location is near historical sites. The air conditioning was hard to keep comfortable, when from cold to warm and warm to cold; and the bathroom needed a exhaust fan. A fridge in the room would have been nice, too.
I know that this hotel is located in the center of Philadelphia, but why charge $10/day for WiFi? And $2 for a cup of morning coffee?

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
KTMurnane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Marie S,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. We will have refrigerators in all rooms in the next few months, and our charge for wireless internet is comparable to other local full-service hotels. Safe travels!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very nice hotel for the price. Good location and fantastic service. There are nicer hotels in downtown Philly but certainly not for this price. Unless you want to spend Ritz money, stay here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Alex K,
Thank you for the high marks! We think that we're a great value, too (and our location isn't half-bad either. And our staff is friendly and accommodating.) Thanks for staying with us, and please return soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

our stay at this hotel was enhanced because of a man named Lewis. He had all the answers and helped us truly enjoy our vacation. The location was perfect for our needs and I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Matthew B,
Thank you for your patronage, and I'll be happy to pass along your gratitude to Lewis. I'm glad he was able to provide you with the information you needed to enjoy your vacation to the fullest. Please return soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very nice views of downtown Philly as well as walking distance to many nice restaurants. Definitely stop at El Vez, which is located just a few blocks away. Amazing Mexican food! The staff at the hotel were very friendly. The room was nice and quaint but had more than enough room to relax and enjoy yourself. Bed was very comfortable.

Jeremy M,
Thank you for the high marks! We do have an excellent location in the heart of downtown near the arts, history, shopping and restaurants in Philly. We look forward to having you stay with us again.