“Awful service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Clarkston, Michigan
“Awful service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Room was dirty and house keeping did not replace coffee, or throw out trash. Alarm clock was broken. Person who came to fix it had no idea what they were doing. Concierge was NEVER around. No one else could give even the most basic directions. I won't even mention the odor associated with the gift shop. In fairness I will say the fitness facility was very up to date.

Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

KTPMurnane, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear MisterTee1,
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with the cleanliness of your guest room. We try to be very vigilant in this area because we know how important it is for our guests. Based upon your review, we are actively working with our housekeeping staff so this situation doesn’t happen again. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, you’ll give us another opportunity to serve you and make it right.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I was very happy with my stay here. Customer service was excellent, room was clean and spacious, (a little bit of paint peeling and mildew in the bathroom :( ), very good location with dozens of restaurants and theaters nearby. The ladies behind the front desk were accommodating and gave the kids an extra cookie!

They have flavored waters for guests in the evening - but there are not enough cups and the area becomes quite messy after just a few minutes with little attention paid to cleanup. Also, enough with the expensive in-room internet, okay?! I'm guessing businessmen will just pay it, but internet is so cheap these days it should be included in the room cost - like air conditioning and electricity. You don't charge people for hot water....so why internet?

Yep, I'd stay there again....but go to Starbucks to use the internet.

Room Tip: Join their Rewards Program to get on your own floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KTMurnane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Hi Grawburg,
Thanks for your comments. Our internet charge is comparable with that of other full-service hotels in the area. We'll be sure to keep a closer eye on the complimentary infused waters that we often provide in the lobby, that sounds like an isolated incident.. Safe travels!
Philly, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Check in was efficient, but almost too efficient. Woman failed to tell me about how to get to the wifi (did not tell me what the lobby network was and what the password for the wifi was.) Had to go back to ask. The room was near the elevator and very noisy (the elevator could be heard in the room a couple of rooms down the hall). restaurant is poor. charge for wifi in the room.

Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

KTPMurnane, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Ashish A,
Thank you for the comments. We apologize that the desk agent did not provide you with the Wi-Fi code and that she was too efficient when checking you in to the hotel. We will work with our front desk staff on being more mindful and hope you have an opportunity to return in the future. Thank you again for the feedback.
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We went to a show and this hotel just fits right into that plan. It is in walking distance to most the of the major show venue's, great restaurants and attractions. The staff is very good, the breakfast is good, the rooms are very nice. ( Don't forget the cookies at check in - always a nice touch!) I simply cannot give it an excellent review because I feel it needs some updating in the lobby area, hallways near rooms and restaurant. I'm not sure what style they are going for but it seems old to me and in need of something! Parking a little expensive as well for what you have to put up with. $25 a night for self and $38 for valet.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Loveagoodmeal
Loveagoodmeal,
Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay. For the theater-going crowd (not to mention a whole lot of other crowds), our location just can't be beat! Please return soon.
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I booked a reservation one month in advance for the Double Tree in downtown Philadelphia while I was to attend a conference. I called the day before my reservation to confirm and told them what time I'd be arriving, and everything was set to go. At least that's what I was told. I arrived at the hotel around 10 pm only to be casually told by the front desk attendant that they had overbooked the hotel and had no rooms available. Are you kidding me?! I had a reservation confirmed and I'm a Hilton Honors member yet they just canceled my reservation without even calling or emailing me. I traveled all the way to Philadelphia only to be turned away at the door. The front desk offered to pay for a taxi back to the airport. There was no offer to even a comp or discount another room. There was a large convention in town that week, so I called every other hotel in town and none had any rooms available. I ended up sleeping in the 30th st train station until 5 am and missing the first day of the conference. I'm lucky I didn't get robbed. I called the corporate office 3 times to complain about this and didn't receive any reply even after filing a complaint. They don't care about their customers at all. I'm never booking a stay at the Double Tree or Hilton property again.

2 Thank ColumbiaNYC
KTPMurnane, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear ColumbiaNYC,
Thank you for your comments. We certainly apologize for this inconvenience, and any miscommunication that may have occurred that evening. Our hotel was in fact oversold on that night due to in house guests extending their departure dates. Our night auditor apologized for the situation and secured an alternative hotel room (the Wyndham Hotel at the airport) with transportation to and from, with the hotel picking up the room charges. This is standard procedure in the hotel industry on the infrequent chance that a hotel cannot honor a reservation. In fact, we had two other guests that evening who we also had to move to the Wyndham and received the same message that was delivered to you. Our night auditor indicates that you turned down this arrangement and asked to have your reservation cancelled. She also states that you left your debit card in the hotel lobby where another guest found it and turned it over to the same night auditor, who in turn called you on your cell phone. You returned to the hotel, secured your card, and thanked the night auditor with no additional comments or inquiries. Again, we apologize for this inconvenience and hope that you have an opportunity to stay with us in the future under more favorable circumstances.
Bryan, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Doubletree staff are very helpful. The restaurant/bar has a good selection of drinks and decent food. This hotel has the noisiest elevators I have ever heard. I actually thought my room was in the flight path for the airport. Whatever you do, do not accept any room with the last number of 8, 10 or 12. These are right next to the elevators. One of the them is actually between the elevators. Mold in the shower and sinks that did not drain. Again the staff was helpful and cheerful but they are dealing with a property that is basically flawed.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have great views. Again avoid rooms with numbers ending in 8, 10 and 12; they are...
1 Thank Kevin M
Dear Kevin M,
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. We apologize that you were disturbed by noise during your stay. We all enjoy a little exaggeration, but “flight path for the airport” loud; that’s priceless! Obviously all hotels have rooms that are located adjacent to or near their elevators and these rooms can have elevated (no pun intended) noise levels compared to those away from the elevators.. All of our guest rooms, including those numbered 08, 10, and 12 are clean and comfortable and are occupied and enjoyed by our guests throughout the year. As in any hotel, if you are a light sleeper you should request a room away from the elevators. Our friendly front desk staff will do everything they can to honor those requests. Thank you again for your comments and congratulations on being a TripAdvisor Senior Contributor.
Niles, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The room was clean and good sized; the bed was very comfortable; the staff was friendly and helpful; the hotel's location is near historical sites. The air conditioning was hard to keep comfortable, when from cold to warm and warm to cold; and the bathroom needed a exhaust fan. A fridge in the room would have been nice, too.
I know that this hotel is located in the center of Philadelphia, but why charge $10/day for WiFi? And $2 for a cup of morning coffee?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
KTMurnane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Marie S,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. We will have refrigerators in all rooms in the next few months, and our charge for wireless internet is comparable to other local full-service hotels. Safe travels!