“It's a room.....just.”

Rodeway Inn Center City
Ranked #55 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This place has only one thing going for it and that is Brian on the front desk , he is charming.
As for the property, we think it had no identity, maybe it should lose the Rodeway brand and go private? they are trying but missing the mark. The rooms are tiny, the wet room really not our bag and it's noisy, if you are a student looking for a place to crash near the pubs, this is OK, but as we are seasoned travellers, it's really not our thing.

Room Tip: Stay at the Holiday inn Express !
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank row62
RodeWayCC, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

We are sorry to hear that you felt you were just staying in an ordinary room and our property has no identity. We want to assure you that we continuously seek ways to improve our accommodations and services to enhance the positive experiences of our guests. Your valuable feedback will assist us to correct our deficiencies and elevate the level of our services. We hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may be given a chance to change your perception of our hotel and provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

The hotel was close to everything we wanted to see. Since we wanted to spend more money on what we wanted to see and shop than a hotel room this place was very affordable and clean. Breakfast was enough to get you going for the day. Good stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Missy G
RodeWayCC, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

We would like to thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Center City. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for mentioning that we have an unbeatable location and our rates are friendly to the pocket.

It was wonderful to have you with us. We hope that you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is my first one-star review, and hopefully the last one.

I was waiting in line to check in, and the front desk staff was extremely slow and did not even bother to raise his eyebrow to say hi. An usual line of "will be with you in a minute" seemed too much to ask for. So I waited for quite a while, only to find out he couldn't locate my correct reservation. There was no room ready for check-in either, at 2:30PM. He said he would check me in anyways and asked me to sign a sheet agreeing to a day-off rack rate that was much higher than reserved. I said I couldn't sign it because that was not the rate I agreed to when I made the reservation. He said: "You will HAVE to sign it." with his deeply annoyed tone "otherwise go away from my hotel!" I had no choice but signed it. I then called their corporate company Choice Hotels myself, where the phone agents were not much more helpful either. After spending 2 hours calling 3 or 4 people, some one on the corporate line said they called the hotel front desk and the issue should be straightened. So I returned to the hotel, trying to check in again with a different front desk agent. Unfortunately, she still couldn't locate the correct reservation, and had no idea whatsoever about the corporate call, or even what "Choice Hotels" is. After reiterating the problem once again, she couldn't seem to care less and gave me my checked bag back. I figured at that point it was no longer worth my time to try to stay at this hotel, which has a filthy and ugly lobby, very run-down outlook and cold, unfriendly and unknowledgeable staff. So I got on the next flight and departed Philadelphia one night earlier than originally planned, since the buzz was already killed for my leisure trip in Philadelphia after this frustrating experience at Rodeway Inn City Center Philadelphia.

It is not merely the inability to find a reservation that has earned this hotel a one-star rating; more importantly, it is the fact that no one seemed to care or had the ability to resolve the problem. It absolutely felt lawless (not very often in USA) at some point: we had a contract (reservation) with you, but we can't find it. Go stay somewhere else. "sorry".

To all fairness with Choice, I wrote an email the next day to Choice to complain about the issue and they did offer to reimburse my hotel expense, but I didn't bother: no more business with this horrible brand: Choice Hotels.

Room Tip: don't go
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank drpoints
RodeWayCC, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused. You can be assured that we will conduct an investigation to determine why your reservation could not be located and why there appeared to have been lack of communication among our front desk staff.

We find it quite surprising that you found our staff to be inefficient and uncaring. Most guests who have stayed with us praise them for being very friendly and professional. Nonetheless, we value your feedback and will give it due attention. We do not condone any behavior that can tarnish the reputation of our hotel.

We hope that you will consider staying with us in the near future so that we may be given a chance to change your perception of our hotel and provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stellar staff. A shout-out to Brian. Praise, also, to Sean, Talia and Bianca. And Mark was helpful.

All items in the room are free -- fruit juice, Keurig instant coffee, bottled water. If you need extra soap or other supplies, merely ask at the Front Desk.

The Rodeway Inn Center City building was formerly a university dormitory. In other words, this building was not designed to be a hotel: hallways are narrow and the elevator is small. The rooms have had some wear and tear.

**Specify that you do not want any of the four rooms separated by a hallway from their respective bathrooms.**

Our party of four was divided, with two in the Ben Franklin Suite (Room 205) and two in the Penthouse (Room 701).

The living room in the Ben Franklin Suite had major water damage in the ceiling, which occurred the previous week. One hopes that the damage will be swiftly repaired. However, the bedroom, which has a queen-sized bed, was spacious and in impeccable condition. Moreover, the bathroom was in excellent condition.

In the Benjamin Franklin Suite's living room couch pull-out bed, it was left to the customer to make the bed with the provided blanket and top bedsheet. (The cover bedsheet had already been slipped on.) One wishes that the housekeeping staff would have taken the extra effort to pre-make the bed in the couch pull-out bed.

To get to the Penthouse, one must take very steep steps from the 6th to the 7th Floor. (Be careful you don't break your neck.) Yet the Penthouse is spacious, with one queen-sized bed in each of two rooms. My friends reported minor water damage in the shower ceiling.

Because of its outstanding staff, convenient location and reasonable price, the Rodeway Inn Center City merits five stars. The next time I stay in Center City, it will be my first choice for accommodations.

Room Tip: If a party of two, ask for the Penthouse. In any case, specify that you do not want any of the four...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Willardston
RodeWayCC, Front Office Manager at Rodeway Inn Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

“M’,

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for leaving a post on trip advisor after your stay at the Rodeway Inn Center City Philadelphia. As hospitality professionals here at the Rodeway Inn we are constantly trying to see how we can better serve our guests. When someone takes the time to leave a comment, good or bad, we use it as a learning experience to enhance our customer service and then through ongoing training of the staff we always work towards getting better.

Glad you enjoyed your stay “M” and if you return please call me direct for a reservation!

Operating a first class hotel in a one hundred plus year old building we are faced with some obstacles. As you said city noise from the street is something we deal with and unless you are built recently and use sound proof glass this is a tough one. We feel we have maintained the old Philadelphia character of the building and added some great modern amenities.

Please consider making a return trip to the Rodeway Inn and call me direct to book the reservation. I will extend whatever consideration I can and I hope on your return visit that we will again hit the right mark with you.

Brian Krason
Guest Services
Rodeway Inn Center City
1208 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107

Reviewed 17 May 2014

This was a home away from home. Took pictures of the bathroom and want to use some of their ideas in my own home. Kenia at the front desk was the best Front Desk Representative that I've ever seen. Best customer service ever!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Elvis B
RodeWayCC, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit. It pleased us tremendously that you had a superb experience.

It is wonderful of you to mention that you found a home away from home in our hotel, and you were impressed with our outstanding customer service.

Your comment will be shared with Kenia who without a doubt will be delighted to hear that she is the best front desk staff you have come across with. We count ourselves fortunate to have her as part of our team. She is such a gem.

It was a great pleasure to serve you. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

First off u should list that some room windows have a brick wall view. I was in 302 last night & thank god I didnt have my claustrophobic partner. I also realized theres no way to control the air, I asked the Front Desk "how do I control my air?" he replied "its central"... Im like ok... but its still hot in here. He said he would have them make it cooler. 3 hrs later that turned out to be a lie. I called again & said it was still hot & humid, to which he seemed annoyed w/ me & replied "Ill see what I can do", which turned out to be nothing. I slept ontop the covers in night sweats. no phonecall back or anything I was completely dismissed. I took a shower & noticed an open shampoo container on top of the shower head meaning housekeeping isnt thorough. god knows what else wasnt cleaned. The icing to all is this morn at 930 in my underwear packing my bag the maid walks in no knock no nothing. Why is she going into rooms at such an early time & WHY NOT KNOCK? All of this is completely unacceptable. I left as fast as I could. I filed a complaint with Choice and they have me $30 to spend at another choice hotel... Gee thanks... that barely pays for parking...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Lyl3
RodeWayCC, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

We sincerely apologize for failing to meet your expectations. Your satisfaction is of utmost importance to us. You can be assured that we will address all of your comments.

We regret that it was not brought to your attention that some of our rooms offer only a view of a brick wall. In order to set the right expectation, we shall see to it that this information is made known to those who will book such a room online or will be assigned one when they check-in.

We are very surprised that you were unhappy with our staff, as normally they are praised for providing excellent customer service. Nevertheless, you have our assurance that we will conduct an investigation and not take your feedback for granted.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again. Please give us a chance to show you that we can provide you with an exceptional experience.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I think it is just enough for someone who travelling and most of the the time not staying in the room.
There is no breakfast served in the hotel however there are lots of restaurant and fastfood nearby.
The problem is, the WI FI is very bad, not as advertised and as an old hotel, the drainage of the bath tube and wastafel is very slow, need to be cleansed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank girianto
RodeWayCC, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Let us thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Center City. We are delighted that on the whole we were able to meet your expectations.

We sincerely apologize for failing to provide you with strong internet connection during your visit. Normally, our guests do not have trouble conducting their business online or communicating with family and friends using our free internet service. We want to assure you that we will have someone look into this matter. As for the bathtub, our maintenance team will be inspecting it.

We hope that you will consider visiting us again, so we may be given a chance to provide you with an even better hotel experience.