“Best gym in philadelphia, older building fine by me”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #31 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 11 October 2012

The draw for this hotel is that it is connected to a terrific gym. The gym is huge and has a basketball court, weights galore, and lots of treadmills and cycles, stairmasters, etc.

The property is an historic building in a great location.

My third positive -- and it's another key one -- is that the staff is superb. Many have worked at the hotel more than 20 or 25 years and have withstood the test of time (and lots of tough customers). The staff is always friendly, always competent, and generally quite prompt.

Fourth it is always clean, never had an issue -- and I've stayed many times.

Some of the rooms have been updated in the last year to a modern finish. The only issue I have with that is that the lighting is dark. So if you are on business travel and need to read, ask for an extra bright lamp.

My go-to hotel in Philadelphia.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Christine N, Director of Rooms at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2012

Thank you for the complimentary feedback regarding our team members and property. We aprpeciate your business and look forward to providing you the service that Hyatt prides itself on during future stays.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

We recently stayed here for a conference my husband was attending and to see our daughter who goes to college nearby. After reading the reviews we were hesitant staying here but we found it to be a lovely property and will definitely return. It is old style but is very, very clean, no odors in hallway etc. I had requested a room away from a service elevator so never was disturbed by noise. We did hear noise from outdoors, sirens but brought a small sound machine which masked it. The beds were extremely comfortable, the bedding very nice. I had room service 2 days and it was delivered w/in 15 mins both days and very nice. We also had dinner in the restaurant on the top level - we were able to sit outside. We enjoyed our dinner and would definitely return to the restuarant as well. I have nothing negative to say about our stay or the hotel. There are shops and a Starbucks on the lobby level which is nice to walk around and grab a coffee. Its in a very convenient location as well. We recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from a service elevator.
1  Thank linguica
Christine N, Director of Rooms at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We appreciate the feedback and hope to have you as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt on Friday, 9/21and while I agree with some of the reviewers that said it is "old", I have to say that they have done a lovely job with this very old and historic building. I am from NYC and am used to older buildings. It is beautiful structure and the decor is elegant. The room was clean with a modern flat screen TV. I had the chance to order room service and it was prompt and my simple salad was delicious. The front desk staff was great. I was really tired and checked in late - they were friendly, fast, professional and made me feel welcome. I would definitely stay there again. I had a very positive experience.

1  Thank spajunkie715

Thank you for your feedback from you recent visit with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and the service recieved. We do hope to have you as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

This hotel is very well located on Broad Street and near Market Street and City Hall. There are lots of good and variable priced restaurants nearby walking either east or west.

However, the decor of the place is truly awful. Green floral wallpaper and even more green patterned carpet. The room was large, but had no external window, and the bathroom facilities were good but that's it. It is an historical building in dire need of a decent injection of $ to bring it up to a standard where it could be.

Staff were very variable. Roberta on Reception was very friendly and helpful. Others less so; and the staff in the cafe for breakfast made you feel as if it was an Imposition for you to come in and eat there. The breakfast itself was fine.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room with an internal window on to the conservatory (whatever it's used for).
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2012

this hotel screams old money philadelphia. located above such stores as tiffany and ralph lauren, the hyatt is located downtown, just a quick walk from the broad street line, city hall, great shopping and dining on walnut, and rittenhouse square. seriously, the location cannot be beat, and is probably the greatest selling point for this hotel.

we got a hotwire hot rate and stayed on the 16th floor, and while the view wasn't that impressive from our window, for the price we paid, i was more than happy with the room. although an odd design (the window was in an alcove, which made it pretty dark), it had a flatscreen tv, bathtub/shower, desk, ipod docking station, pod coffee maker, and a comfy bed. the decor is definitely not boutique hotel-esque, so don't expect clean, modern design - think more of the decor of a laura ashley store. nevertheless, the room was very clean and not dingy, save for a small water stain on the ceiling near the entrance to the room that looked pretty fresh (the floor appeared recently refreshed).

the hotel has a restaurant / bar, xix, which has a happy hour (not too many beer selections). the prices were ok, but the view was excellent and the booths were comfy. the vibe reminded me of mad men meets balmoral estate meets ancient rome.

the front desk staff were actually very friendly, which was a plus, since most hotels do not reward high-quality customer service anymore.

my only complaint was that the adjoining parking garage charged me $52 for the night (even with the hotel validation) and no one seems to be working in the garage - everything was automated. it wasn't until after multiple attempts i finally got someone to refund the overage today. this is not the hotel's fault, per se, just something to watch out for.

would definitely take another hotwire plunge and stay here again should i need a hotel in center city at a good price, but i would not pay "regular" price to stay here since i prefer more boutique type properties, like the palomar.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amyh12382
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Excellent location and price. The staff was super friendly. Had an upgraded room but it was very odd. Large sparesely furnished room, uncomfortable chair, marble bar/kitchen type thing of no use for a one night visit with a very small bathroom. Room so large the air conditioner didnt really cool it enough. Really like the Hyatt brand so this wont deter me. Again, the bldg, location and people were terrific. If I go back to Philly might try something else to see what is available.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

the lobby is nice and the service is wonderful, however, once you take the elevator up to your room you see how outdated this hotel is. I like trendy, modern, and updated. The rooms and hotel floors are old as dirt and hot as hell in the middle of summer. I would never stay here again. The location is good, but there are several other hotels in this area to stay at, like the palomar and the sofitel at the same price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple