“Attended a wedding here!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt at The Bellevue

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #32 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
pa
“Attended a wedding here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful historically charming hotel. They offered a chic and cozy atmosphere. The wedding staff really did a great job. The food as well as the service was good. The overall attention to detail was incredible. I would recommend for special events.

Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Korean first
Leonardtown
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

This used to be my go to hotel in the city of Brotherly Love but my last stay was like spending a night in the ghetto. Hotel staff woke my wife and I at midnight by pounding on the doors and calling the room phone incessantly. The issue? They'd screwed up by booking us into a suite instead of a single and decided to make an issue of it midnight. AWFUL! Worse, GM seemed to think the solution was for me to simply let the Cro-Magnon enter my room. After 20+ years of faithful Hyatt rewards membership when I called to cancel my platinum level rewards account, the answer was "ok". And that is the state of the Hyatt Nation and one of their marque properties.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank CoolGeek2013
VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

As hotels trend towards more and more stripped down serivce, I appreciate the Hyatt at Bellevue even more. This hotel has a good kitchen and serves great burgers, etc. The breakfast is very good for room service -- whether you go oatmeal or eggs and bacon. Great bacon by the way.

I like that it is an older property. The rooms are a bit larger it seems to me. The 19th floor is worth mentioning. It has a wonderful bar set amidst the type of construction which has not been done in this country in 60 years. I love the domed ceiling on the 19th floor.

The business center is well-maintained and has a high-speed printer. Why doesn't every hotel do this? We ran out of paper, but a friendly hotel employee brought us two reams immediately to put us back in business.

I love the complex which the hotel is in. There is a chocolatier in the lobby/connected minishopping mall -- which was great and just in time for Valentine's Day. The lobby also has a Polo store, ATM, and The Palm (caution meal portions are gigantic -- split them if a couple). The street area is great with Morton's just next door, and Capitol Grille down the street. There's even an urban bowling alley nearby -- have to check that out someday.

Always a great stay. Five stars. Won't be the fanciest hotel -- this is not the Ritz or Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental -- but I prefer this hotel to any JW Marriott I've ever stayed in. Charm.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FredTravelVa
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 weeks, staff always helpful. Room a little tired bathrooms especially. But not offensive and was always clean.Gym is amazing I used it every day. Has a running track, massive gym floor with every machine imaginable, full class list, pool!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank EKB-7
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

At first during our three-night stay, my partner and I found the location of this hotel and its old-world charm to be quite satisfactory, although for me the decor was somewhat worn and weirdly Rococo in style and color. The bed was clean and comfortable with good-quality linens, and the room was spacious so we were both fairly happy.

But by day two and three, a few failures started to occur that began to sour our experience. One had to do with the age of the bathroom fixtures: For example, the bathtub had been reglazed and layers of the reglazing material started to chip off noticeably on me when I tried to use the tub.

The second was made worse by the responses of staff: I complained about the fact that my morning shower was very cold and that it became progressively colder as I tried to take my shower. No hot water ever appeared that morning. But the engineer they sent up told me that I should've gotten up 30 minutes earlier to "let the cold water run through the pipes." No apologies were offered; instead I was told that I could've solved the issue on my own. (Believe me, when you're trying to get ready for business meetings in the morning, I don't know about you, but I don't expect that I will have to get up 30 minutes earlier just to let the water run through the pipes before getting heat for my shower.)

Then, that same night, my partner and I both tried our keys in our room's door and they suddenly didn't work. Now that type of thing happens occasionally in a hotel and I wouldn't even mention it in a review, except for the fact that the service person insisted on trying our door keys again before handing us the replacements. From our standpoint, that gesture was unnecessarily annoying after we had sat there waiting to get into our room after a tiring day. Had we suddenly lost the ability to use our keys to get into the room? Why not just take our word for it that our keys were not working? (FYI - our keys really didn't work when he tried them again.)

All in all, the hotel was fairly comfortable, presentable, and well situated, but if one fails at providing a basic feature such as a nice hot shower or bath for your guests, and then if those same guests don't hear even one apology for the discomfort and inconvenience of having to take an ice-old shower to start off one's day, I would say that the rating cannot be even an average one, but must be set lower as a result. If I visit Philadelphia again, I would stay elsewhere as a result.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CardCarrier
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Such a beautiful Old World hotel located on Philadelphia's Avenue of the Arts. What a transcendent feeling to stay at this beautiful hotel. Everything about the stay was top shelf: staff, room size, bedding, amenities. If in Philly, make a point to stay here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night on 1/19/14. The check-in was smooth and we were given a nicely renovated room. I loved the old world charm of the hotel. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast we ordered was pretty good (I had the onion and portobello mushroom omelet and my boyfriend had the lobster omelet). Overall, I would recommend this hotel to someone else.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple