“Good Location for the Stadium”

Holiday Inn Philadelphia Stadium
Ranked #64 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for New Years Eve to go to nearby Xfinity Live. It was a 10 minute walk to the Broad Street Subway line and close to all of the stadiums. It would be a great location for someone going to a game that also wanted to see Philadelphia. The train made it easy to get downtown for the mummers parade the next day. There isn't much else around besides the stadium complex but there is a restaurant inside along with a small convenience store. Our room was large and well maintained.

Room Tip: There is really no view but if you are staying on a big night like new years, say you want to stay a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Stadium12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Philadelphia Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and looking foward to seeing you on your next visit.

General Mnaager

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I booked this hotel through Priceline and got a ridiculously low rate of $45 (plus taxes & Priceline fees). Therefore, I can't really complain about the property having gotten such a cheap rate. I will be as fair and objective as I can be. The 3 star rating is fairly accurate; it is definitely no higher than that.

I checked in this evening (Mon 12/30) at about 6pm. Check-in was very easy and the young man at the front desk was pleasant enough. I asked for a King room but they were "fully booked" on the King rooms, despite a nearly empty parking lot out front. But okay, no biggie. I was given a room on the 7th floor. As soon as I opened the door I was hit with an old cigarette smoke smell. Remembering another review about this, I immediately called the front desk and asked for a non-smoking room (I knew full-well the hotel was a "Non-smoking property"). Khadijah answered and seemed to express some confusion about my asking for a non-smoking room because "all of [their] rooms are non-smoking". She was nonetheless fairly pleasant and could hear that I was already having a reaction amid my coughs and clearing the building phlegm from my throat. She stated that she would look for another room and call me back. About 5 minutes later she did call back and informed me that someone would be right up with keys to a new room; this time on the 4th floor.

The 4th floor room definitely smelled much better. However, as another reviewer stated, who also happened to be on the 4th floor, there is certainly "SOMEthing" allergenic on that floor. I do have severe year-round allergies, and I am allergic to dust and mold among other things. I stay medicated daily because of this. BUT something in that room had my allergies on overdrive! My lips began to swell, my throat got sore and scratchy, and I began to break out slightly on my face. I had to take an extra dose of my allergy meds to calm down the reaction. I can't say for certain that it was mold - but it was definitely SOMEthing!

I didn't bother to call the front desk again. This was just meant to be a quick need-to-have-a-woosah-moment-away-from-family-and-other-crazy-people overnighter. So I took my meds and am now hoping to get comfortable and have a good night's sleep.

I imagine that for someone in town for a sporting event, this would be an ideal spot! My room on the 4th floor faces Citizens Bank Park which could be very cool during the day or during a game. My first room on the 7th floor did have a nice view of the Philly skyline and the Ben Franklin. The rooms are very small and the bathrooms are tiny, but if you're in town for an event or for sightseeing you won't be spending much time in there anyway. I would think, however, that the small rooms might be somewhat uncomfortable for a business traveler or someone likely to be spending a lot of time in the room.

In regards to cleanliness...it's a 3-star property. There are some pretty visibly dirty and probably-never-touched areas. They seem to have done a very basic surface cleaning but definitely not more than that. I must admit that I did feel somewhat uncomfortable. I checked my bed (and under the mattress as well) thoroughly and it looks fine. The bed and pillows are actually REALLY comfortable.

Now I'm no diva or anything close to it, but I typically stay at 3.5-star and above properties (and yes there IS actually a BIG difference in that half star, as I've learned today!!). I took a chance on this property considering some of the negative reviews, but despite the cheap rate, I would have gladly paid double to be more comfortable elsewhere. But hey, you live and learn!

Overall it is an average hotel. If you are accustomed to higher standards, you will be disappointed at best, perhaps disgusted at worst. If you are amenable to a little dirt here and there (and maybe mold) in exchange for the convenience of being near sporting venues then you should be fine. Either way, don't have high expectations.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Stadium12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Philadelphia Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking your time to write us about your experience here at the Holiday Inn Philadelphia Stadium. I am disappointed to learn that your stay was not 100% enjoyable due to the issues mentioned in this reivew. I can assure you that the issues you have mentioned have been addressed and appropriate actions have been taken.

Thank you for your business and we hope that you will give us another chance.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Fantastic position to attend sport matches, but far from downtown (15 minutes to metro closest stop).
Good sport bar but please don't get the local beer!
Breakfast under expectations.
Very useful free-of-charge shuttle from and to the international Airport.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your business and your feedback. As you are aware we are conveniently located off of Interstate 76 and 95, between the Philadelphia International Airport and Philadelphia Downtown. We do offer varity of packages to meet our customer needs that includes Free Airport Pick up and Drop off, Free Philadelphia Downtown Pick up and drop off. We highly recommend to take advantage of those packages.

Thank you once again and we look foward to see you soon.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Philadelphia for 3 nights. The room was clean, quiet and very acceissible. The breakfast was a bonus and I was surprised to see such abundance. I would go back to this hotel. You are downtown close to everything; fine dining theatres sightseeing shopping, especially at Macy's. You dont's need a car to drive around, everything is within walking distance.

Room Tip: All is guaranteed, this was the first time for us and no surprises....you may ask for a King Zize be...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your business and we look foward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Ok if you are not allergic to mold then this may not be an issue. But if you or your kids have asthma or allergies stay away from this hotel. Mold in each of three rooms I tried. Could not breath in rooms and had to escape to another hotel. The building is like 50 years old and has water leaks everywhere. You can see the mold pushing the new wallpaper out the entire length of the 4th floor hallway. Ceilings in rooms are water stained from the windows above leaking. And the ac units have clearly never been cleaned. Apparently, holiday inn considers putting new wallpaper over old mold renovating.

The restaurant, if you can call it that, cannot cook a steak,serves wam beer and the chicken tenders are made from that fake ground up parts chicken.

Drive the extra 10 minutes for a real hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I thank you for your feeback. We house many guests each day and our staff puts in lots of efforts to ensure guest satisfaction. I am disappointed to learn that you were not happy. Being a Hotel which is open 365 days a year, we are bound to run into issues, which we address apporpriately and immideately. If there is anything we can do to make your future stay memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Went to an Eagles game and stayed overnight. Within walking distance to stadium. They were very accommodating because we had to get to the game they stored our luggage. Room was clean and fresh when we checked in. Front Desk checked us in quickly and with a smile. I am an early riser and they only had decaf coffee in room I need my caffeine. (only mishap) Went to lobby at 5:30 am. No coffee. An employee felt bad for me and drove me to Duncan donuts for coffee would not take any money. How nice is that.
That's all it takes for someone to remember a great time. Thank You Tim!!! 12/2/2013

Room Tip: We had 4 of us my two daughters and sister in law. Got the suite with 2 queens and a King. Beautiful...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I want to thank Miss Inez M. for excellent service during my stay at the Holiday Inn. My home heater shut down on Thanksgiving Day and we decided to go to the Holiday Inn. We arrived in the morning and she was so accommodating. Every day she asked how we were during and was anything she could do for us. This was the best stay we ever had at a hotel. The room were spacious and clean. She really went beyond to make our stay and thanksgiving enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business