“Lovely hotel well worth the cost”

Chestnut Hill Hotel
Ranked #18 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 22 April 2011

My family stayed at the Chestnut Hill Hotel while we were in Philadelphia for the 2011 Flower Show and wish we had planned more time to visit. Many interesting small shops and restaurants nearby, on-site free parking, as well as close proximity to downtown Phil. The amenities were fine, nice breakfast, wonderful beds, and I am told that it is currently being updated so the decor will also be even more pleasant. The staff was exceptionally helpful. At check-in we asked about the location of a restaurant, which the person at the front desk didn't know, but by the time we walked into our room he was calling on the phone with directions for us. Our room was an the front and was a little noisy with traffic at night, so when we return we'll be sure we get a room in the back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan201104

Reviewed 14 April 2011

Building renovations meant the main entrance, foyer and dining area were closed and filled with building materials. No information given about this in advance and still not mentioned on hotel website. First room we were shown was awful and in another building. Room we were eventually given had good beds and large TV, but small window looking onto large ventilation unit, so room had little natural light. Breakfast was a joke. Two small tables with paper plates and few ingredients in a small corridor near bedrooms (no cereal or coffee first morning). We had to take what food we could get back to our room each day. First morning we asked for fresh coffee and milk. When it came the coffee was cold and the milk sour! Room vibrated all evening till midnight with hotel heating system. Service was dire with hardly anything done unless asked for and even then was not up to much. Still charged us full rate as advertised but took $20 off when we complained. Glad to leave the place. Not recommended while these issues exist.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Garrabost
Reviewed 10 April 2011

As you know attending a funeral is a very emotional time. Staying at your hotel gave me the time I needed to reflect on life's many blessings and challenges. The quiet neighborhood, ambience , convenience of the restaurant with a great menu and wine list ,friendly -helpful staff , all make the Chestnut Hill Hotel is a true gem. I already recommended you to a family member who traveled across country and stayed at your hotel last week . And he and his wife agree you are the best. Thank you.
Sincerely, A Phoenix, AZ resident

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 April 2011

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel has upgraded it's interior. We had stayed there two years ago. It is a good value for the price. A free breakfast includes make your own waffles, bagels, yogurt, pastries. The neighborhood is cute and has a indoor farmers market with various types of food right next door.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room not facing the street
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2011

We had a surprise bridal shower for my daughter in the Bombay Room at the Chestnut Hill Hotel. All told, we had about 40 people and brought in catered food. We rented the room for 3 hours, but the hotel gave us a free hour ahead of time to set up and decorate. All our guests were comfortable and had a great time. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. They provided us with free coffee, tea, and ice, and they let us decorate however we liked as long as we did not tape anything to the walls. I would definitely host another event here and highly recommend it to anyone else looking for a nice space to host a party with enough off-street parking for everyone. Some of our guests stayed overnight in the hotel the night before, too, and were happy with their rooms.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 27 February 2011

The reviews did not lie. The hotel is on a cobblestone street. The hotel was easy to find, parking was a breeze, and check in was simple. The staff was happy to help with my luggage and the desk clerk was very welcoming. The attached restaurant was inviting and the food, service and wine was excellent. If you are looking for business or pleasure, this hotel really gives the personal touch with high end, inviting rooms. I would head back again to this htoel again any day!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2010

WOW! What a fabulous, friendly, and charming hotel! If you are planning a trip to the Philadelphia area, you should plan a visit to the Chestnut Hill area, and make sure you stay at the Chestnut Hill Hotel to experieince committmend to customer service at its finest! I must admit that I am used to staying at larger hotel chains, so I was a bit hesitant to stay here for my business trip. However, I after reading the wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor I figured I was in for a treat.

And what a treat it was! I had a wonderful time staying at the Chestnut Hill Hotel. Firstly, when I arrived at the hotel, the staff (owner and manager) greeted me and helped carry my bag to my room! How nice! Checking in was a breeze -- my room was ready to go when I arrived. The hotel decor itself was warm, cozy, and inviting. I believe the hotel recently underwent major renevations, so my room had (what seemed like to me) all new updated and modern bedroom furniture and bedding, as well as a very modern and trendy bathroom with an all-glass walk-in shower (with plenty of hot water too!) The bed was SUPER comfortable and there was plenty of desk space and a large flat panel TV.

The other perks of this charming place was the FREE wi-fi internet in the hotel rooms and FREE breakfast they offer in the mornings. The breakfast had a wide selction (bagels, waffel maker, ceral, boiled eggs, pastries, coffee, juice, and yougurt to name a few. There is also FREE parking for hotel guest which is another plus in my book.

The Chestnut Hill hotel has a great location in the Chestnut Hill area which has cobble stoned streets, plenty of sidewalks to stoll up and down, several "mom and pop" local restaurants and cafes, and local shops. If you need a recommendation for a place to eat be sure to ask the hotel manager for suggestions. He is a wealth of knowledge about the area, and he was truly one of the best examples of personalized and caring customer servive I have experienced in a long time! Be sure to check out the Chestnut Hill Farmers Market too, which is located directly behind the hotel (thus, a very short walking distance). The market has so many different types of food, fruits, vegetables, baked goods, and desserts from local restaurants, bakeries, and cafes. You won't go hungry!

Overall, I was very impressed wtih the attention to detail, personalized customer service, and the fabulous staff at the Chestnut Hill Hotel!!! I would absolutely stay here again when visiting the Philadelphia area, and you won't be disappointed if you choose to stay here. I am looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank docsurglace
CHCGM, General Manager at Chestnut Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2010

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write a review of the Chestnut Hill Hotel! Your kind words will be passed on to the staff and even more importantly, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back often!