“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #24 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Rose Valley, Pa
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

A group of us stayed here to celebrate a friend's birthday and everyone was impressed. I live not too far from Chestnut Hill, my favorite Philly neighborhood, so I've never stayed the night. Since so many friends were in from out of town we decided to stay together. My friends wished they booked for two nights because it was such a great place. The breakfast on Saturday morning, including in the cost of the room, was excellent. Everyone working there was friendly and helpful, and they didn't mind that we hung out in the breakfast area for quite a while, while friends slowly departed. The hotel keeps food in that area all the time so you can always have some coffee or tea, with a few other choices. If you stay here you will be happy~ and where else can you park in Chestnut Hill for free yet walk to every fun shop in town?!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
TarduU, General Manager at Chestnut Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Hi Alikef44,
We are so happy we were able to accommodate your large group of friends at our hotel and we would be thrilled to have you again for any future events. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast and coffee and tea throughout the day. Many of our guests appreciate the free parking and we are delighted you were able to take advantage of this wonderful amenity.
We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Rhode Island
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We decided to stay 2 nights while in Philadelphia for a nearby concert. Parking is free, although the lot is small and very busy on Saturdays. The room was clean and comfortable. The hallways and entrance appear to be recently renovated. The breakfast was very good and the breakfast staff was very helpful and attentive. Our room had staining on the ceiling, but was otherwise warm and inviting. The front desk staff was helpful. I would stay here again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hi Travelmom50,
Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy to hear you would stay with us again. The hotel was completely renovated two years ago, thank you for noticing ! We will pass your kind words on to our staff.
We have noted your feedback about the ceiling stain and cleaned it.
We hope you stay with us again soon.
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Last week I visited Philadelphia for a two-day, one-night business trip. I lodged at the Chestnut Hill hotel during my trip. The Chestnut Hill hotel is gorgeously appointed, updated, and comfortable (especially in the carriage house where I stayed), the staff is warm, professional, and very helpful, the location is charming, and the services are first-rate. My entire experience was excellent and perfect in all ways. I look forward to returning time and time again.

Room Tip: Updating of the carriage house is spectacular and perfectly-appointed!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed at the hotel recently due to the ice storm which left our neighborhood without power. I live in the neighborhood so I never have a need to stay at the hotel. As a neighbor, I have watched and enjoyed seeing all the renovations, the fire pit, the lovely new garden and all the enhancements to the outside of the hotel. After my stay I can now say the inside renovations are just as lovely. But more important was the staff and the warm reception they gave all of the tired and stressed out customers. They were warm and extremely patient under very difficult conditions. It was refreshing to experience such personal service. I'm forever grateful!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank linda h
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Since flu like symptoms had taken over one day before the ice storm and subsequent power outage the thought of toughing it out at home for days was intolerable. All I could think of was the fabulous respite we found two years ago during a winter power outage....once again, a combination of persistence and luck landed us a room at the lovely Chesnut Hill Hotel. I was in heaven....it was warm, clean and extremely comfortable....exactly as I had remembered. The bed was luxurious, the all marble bathroom pristine. There is also a plentiful self serve breakfast in a pretty room set up for the guests of the 36 room hotel. Did I mention the owner's personal touch? He was sincerely interested in our feedback, having asked multiple times about our comfort. He is a very charismatic but low key gentleman who takes much pride in his home away from home. It shows in all of the details but mostly in his genuine interest in knowing that you are enjoying your stay. With the great Chestnut Grill through a door the stay is complete....all under one roof. We had several good meals at the bar where the comraderie is only second to the food. Should one be interested in venturing out there are shops, restaurants and a farmers market all just steps away. We honestly wanted for nothing....in the midst of one of philadelphia's worst storms and its aftermath that is really saying something.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Mary Ann L
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I decided that staying at home through the black-out ravages of the Big Ice Storm was not a feasible option, and I ended up for the first time staying two nights at this hotel near my home. It was a chore checking in due to the extreme power failures in Pennsylvania, but the lights were on, and the two desk clerks were cheerfully on it (overtime) manually helping people, both those with reservations and those who had wandered in from their freezing abodes for temporary shelter. The owner appeared from time to time, working out problems with finesse as we awaited word of available rooms--they have 36--and he assured us things would all work out for us, even providing free drinks from the bar and Shirley Temples for the children in the lobby. Finally, I got an entry card-key and was able to collapse on a beautifully furnished bed in a nice room on the second floor, overlooking the newly restored farmers' market (with free parking) and garden with a working waterfall fountain and fire pit. During the course of my stay, I used the shared iMac and the nice little exercise room on my floor, chatted with other guests and read my complimentary newspaper during the free continental breakfast off the lobby, and enjoyed my stay immensely (besides, it was toasty and warm!). Although I believe the cost has risen since revamping the hotel recently, it's a lovely venue at present, in a lovely part of Philly that's like a town unto itself, and I highly recommend a stay there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jenfren
Reviewed 1 February 2014

i've stayed here a number of times. the rooms are very clean, the service super friendly and helpful and the beds are as good as they get. i've been in double rooms, and single rooms and have seen the carriage house rooms. all are beautifully decorated, thought out and tasteful.
the hotel is situated in one of the quaintest of neighborhoods in philadelphia as well. plenty of shops and eateries along a very manageable walk up and down the avenue.
plus? the hotel has the only free parking in chestnut hill.
did i mention how comfortable the beds are?
enjoy the adjoining restaurants, the fire pit with s'mores and the ipod/iphone jack to set the scene with your own music.

Room Tip: my favorite room is 405!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philadelphia
City Center East
City Center East
Alexander Inn
Alexander Inn
#8 of 86 in Philadelphia

Been to Chestnut Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!