“Clean, Quiet, Great Location”

Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
Ranked #12 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My room was clean. I never heard noise from other rooms. There was a refrigerator in my room, which was really convenient. There were two complementary bottles of water. The bed was comfortable, and it's in a great location. There are a lot of restaurants/food trucks in the area. The fitness room was really nice. It's large, clean, had a variety of machines.

My only complaint is that the wifi stinks. It's not password protected, so I'm sure lots of non-guests take advantage.

Still, I'm booked to stay there again, so overall I would say it's a good stay.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Natalie O:
We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your experience with us! Thank you for your comments regarding our WiFi. Our Engineering team is looking into this issue. We understand that this is an inconvenience and unaccetable issue. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,442)

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I would have stayed at one of the five star hotels in Philly, but we were guests of the University and to my surprise the hotel was just fine. The rooms were fresh, recently redecorated and the front desk run by Chris was efficient, responsive and friendly. The neighborhood was pleasant and has been totally gentrified since my last trip years ago. The concierge lounge served fresh omelettes in the morning which were excellent, but the clean up seems understaffed. The elevators are a bit overworked and often slow because of use at rush hours.But on the whole, if your trip is to the University part of Philly I would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear celebrationtiger:
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Comments and feedback are most often shared when in the negative form, so it is a pleasure to share these motivating statements with our staff whenever we have the opportunity. We have recently undergone a refresh of our guest rooms and we are happy to hear that our efforts were worth it! We hope to host your stay again soon!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We had official business at the University of Pennslvania and therefore wanted to stay in Univesity City. We had contacted 2 hotels directly but they were booked. We dediced to go for the fast deal on priceline and were assigned the Sheration University City.
We arrived at noon but could not check in till 3pm on a Sunday. Rather than waiting for 3 hours, we decided to go to center city and came back around 5 when the room was waiting for us on the 11th floor. Upon exiting the elevator, the whole floor had been redone in warm brown tones. We were given a quiet room (1127) at the end of the hall. Small but charming, nicely furnished and addressing the needs of business travelers with a console on the desk. Bedding was extraordinary, fresh, crip white linens. The window was drafty but the heat did the job--probably not the most energy efficient way. The toilet is very low and people with backpain or artificial hips might long for an elevated toilet seat. In order to flush, the handled had to be pushed down hard. But...
Overall, I was impressed by the character and quality of the room.
and for the price--can't beat it.
We had visited friends at the Four Season's -- 3 times the price and a room less charming than the Sheration, if location is not a must.
Great job Philly!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear TomSonntag:
We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We have recently undergone a refresh of our guest rooms and corridors and we are glad to see that our efforts were worth it.

Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed at Sheraton Philadelphia University for three nights. I did not choose the hotel myself and it was assigned to me by the organizers of the conference I was attending. The hotel, however, is adequate and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The room is adequately furnished but the carpets can be cleaned better or replaced. A subway station is just a block away and can take you to downtown and most tourist attractions in about 15 minutes. Drexel University and U-Penn are short walks away. There is a 24-hour restaurant across the hotel in the adjacent street with good pizza and subs. The restaurant located inside the hotel is an average Chinese restaurant. Several other restaurants, Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, and American are few blocks up. They are all look good and reasonably priced. I have tried the Thai and the Indian ones and I was not disappointed. The neighborhood looks safe and I had no difficulty walking around at night. There are many nice and good restaurants in downtown area as well. If you have a chance, do not miss the market right across from the Convention Center. In addition to some souvenirs, you can find many nice drinks and tasty sandwiches there. If you have business in the City University area, the hotel is adequate and recommended. If you plan to visit the rest of Philly, I recommend it only if you find a good offer to compensate you for your trips to downtown and other tourist attractions.

Bijan

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear bijanirani:
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent stay with us. Please know that we are in the process of changes that we believe will enhance the Hotel's look. We hope that you will get an opportunit to see the changes that we are making by staying with us the next time you are in Philadelphia.
It is nice to hear that you got to experience a few of the many wonderful restaurants in the University City area. This area is dynamic and downtown is easily accessible by public transportation.
Thank you, again, for the review!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

I was in town for business on the Penn campus and stayed for a single night at the Sheraton. Upon my arrival the desk clerk generously upgraded me to the "club level" on the 20th floor. The room was a good size and I had a nice view of the campus and the city beyond. Overall I found the hotel to be very clean and the staff friendly. My only complaint would be that the free wi-fi was very slow and spotty. Perhaps from heavy traffic? I'm not sure. Otherwise, this is a nice place to hang your hat for a night or two if you have to be at Penn or Drexel.

Dear Filmprof,
We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your experience with us! It is nice to hear that you were able to experience our newly refreshed club level rooms. The view from the 20th floor and the lounge is beautiful of Penn and University City. Thank you for noting about the sporadic Internet, as well. We apologize for this inconvenience and our team will certainly look into this issue.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

SPG Gold Member

Great location. Clean hotel. Good views from the Club Floor (20th).

Tammy at the front-desk is awesome! Always smiling, and extremely welcoming, I knew my stay would be a good one as soon as I met her at the check-in desk.

Club Lounge was well stocked 24/7 throughout my 2-day stay, and its never too crowded. Worth the extra. Didn't have time to check out the fitness center on this stay.

If I had to pick a place of improvement, sometimes I would hear noise from other rooms pretty easily, but it wasn't too bad.

Otherwise the room was perfect. Spacious. Comfortable bed. Good size TV. Bathroom was well equipped and everything worked as it should.

Housekeeping does not get in your way. And clearly is doing a good job as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I ever needed to and I'd return to the Club Floor.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear 1stBuy:
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Comments and feedback are most often shared when in the negative form, so it is a pleasure to share these motivating statements with our staff whenever we have the opportunity. Tammy has been a part of our hotel family for many years and is a wonderful asset to our team.

We hope to host your stay again soon!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Great location...just steps away from the Penn and Drexel campuses. The room was clean with the basics in it: bed, desk, chair, tv, etc. Bathroom was clean and had adequate counter space. Front desk people were nice and quick when it came to check-in and check-out. The cafe that does room service for the hotel is very reasonably priced. I wouldn't necessarily stay here if you're looking to vacation in Philadelphia, but for a quick business trip to Penn, it's perfect.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room facing the Penn campus, but they do have rooms that overlook downtown Philadelphi...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Brenna R,
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Comments and feedback are most often shared when in the negative form, so it is a pleasure to share these motivating statements with our staff whenever we have the opportunity. We hope to host your stay again soon!