“If you have plans at the university”

Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
Ranked #14 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
México
“If you have plans at the university”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

It's seems that Sheraton brand is a little bit relaxed with this franchise. Rooms are ok, but of course, a little noisy because lot of students spend time here. The day that saving time shifting, they wake me up "by system mistake" at 1:15, again at 7, because a general alarm. False alarm, and then at the correct time at 7:30.
Elevators are insufficient
Very well located and connected. Just be careful with the taxis outside because drivers often use the cell phone while driving.

Room Tip: Try to be at higher floors but take care of elevators
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear TimeTravellerMX,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. While we appreciate your feedback, we are disturbed to learn of your disappointment. Your comments are being shared with managers of our hotel departments involved so corrective action may be taken. We certainly hope you will give us another chance to provide you with the accommodations and service you deserve.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 March 2014

If you are going to visit Penn or Drexel, stay here! It's super convenient (there is parking - $25/day in the abutting garage) and the rooms are clean (but the bed could have been a little more comfy.) The lobby is also inviting. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Megan L:
We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your experience with us! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The worst customer service experience-I was hung up on by an associate. I was traveling for work with a colleague and requested that all expenses be split evenly between our business credit cards. We were told this would be no problem. At the end of the trip, my colleague was charged for all expenses. I called the number listed on our emailed receipt. The lady I spoke with told me that "well its hard for them to do and by the time we refund your money and recharge it will take three weeks" I told her that I was told this could be done and needed to be done (for business accounting purposes" She replied with an attitude "well I'm not the one who told you that" I asked for her name and she told me to have a nice day and hung up on me!! I have NEVER been treated so poorly. I called back immediately was told by a manager that they apologize but that there is no way to figure out which associate I had been speaking with. I am a business owner and if I had an associate doing this I would surely make it a priority to figure out who is giving my business a bad name. This was not a good enough answer as people need to be held responsible for this type of behavior. I will not stay at another Sheraton/Starwood again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Amanda1212812
Dear Amanda1212812,
There is truly no excuse for the incident you relay in your posting. We would appreciate you connecting with us directly so that we may address the issue. Our Guest Services Managers can be reached at 215-387-8000, ext. 627.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

I spent two nights here with my daughter . We were at Penn for a speech competition. The hotel has a great location and is close to both the Penn and Drexel campuses . Our room was near the elevator which was a little noisy.

The room was clean and housekeeping was efficient. Our room was recently renovated. We did not eat onsite. I stopped down to the noodle restaurant and waited FOREVER for a take out glass of wine.

We noticed that the elevators clogged up during peak times. We were able to get on ( we were on a high floor) but the elevator stopped on every floor and no one could get on. This is an issue .

Stayed February 2014
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Ortho3311:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and liked the location! We appreciate your comments regarding the elevator issue that you encountered during your stay. Our engineering team is currently looking into the issue. We hope to see you back in the near future!

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful and the rooms were spacious and clean. GREAT location - I had an interview at U Penn and was able to walk there. However, walls were as thin as paper. I fell asleep listening to a man fighting with someone over the phone, lucky for me he put it on speakerphone so I got to hear both sides of the conversation. Then I was woken up to a loudly moaning woman (at 4:30 AM none the less). The elevators were confusing as some went to the rooms, one went to the parking garage, and some went to both. I would likely stay again, but definitely bring ear plugs!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ang71888
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear ang71888,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that our staff was friendly and helpful, yet, we are disappointed to hear that your overall experience was disappointing. We appreciate your comments regarding the noise and do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact us at 215-387-8000, ext. 627 if you have any further comments or questions.

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

My room was clean. I never heard noise from other rooms. There was a refrigerator in my room, which was really convenient. There were two complementary bottles of water. The bed was comfortable, and it's in a great location. There are a lot of restaurants/food trucks in the area. The fitness room was really nice. It's large, clean, had a variety of machines.

My only complaint is that the wifi stinks. It's not password protected, so I'm sure lots of non-guests take advantage.

Still, I'm booked to stay there again, so overall I would say it's a good stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Natalie O:
We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your experience with us! Thank you for your comments regarding our WiFi. Our Engineering team is looking into this issue. We understand that this is an inconvenience and unaccetable issue. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I would have stayed at one of the five star hotels in Philly, but we were guests of the University and to my surprise the hotel was just fine. The rooms were fresh, recently redecorated and the front desk run by Chris was efficient, responsive and friendly. The neighborhood was pleasant and has been totally gentrified since my last trip years ago. The concierge lounge served fresh omelettes in the morning which were excellent, but the clean up seems understaffed. The elevators are a bit overworked and often slow because of use at rush hours.But on the whole, if your trip is to the University part of Philly I would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear celebrationtiger:
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Comments and feedback are most often shared when in the negative form, so it is a pleasure to share these motivating statements with our staff whenever we have the opportunity. We have recently undergone a refresh of our guest rooms and we are happy to hear that our efforts were worth it! We hope to host your stay again soon!