“Pretty good, but could definitely use improvements”

Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
Ranked #13 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Flemington, New Jersey
“Pretty good, but could definitely use improvements”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed for a week at this hotel for business reasons. It was close enough to work to walk which was the biggest bonus for me. Checking in, the man at the front desk was extremely polite and assured me that my requests would be passed along to the appropriate parties.

I upgraded to the club room based on reviews I read here, so everything that follows about the room and amenities is based off of that. The room itself was very clean, with all sorts of toiletries waiting for me in the bathroom. However, the robe that was hanging in the closet was dirty, it had some sort of red crap on the sleeve. It either wasn't cleaned properly or it was left there from the previous occupant. I brushed it off, I didn't want to use the robe anyways, it was just something I had noticed. The air conditioning unit works, however its old, and there is a thermostat in the room, but I suspect that it controls the heat because it definitely did not control the air. Not a big deal, the air conditioner worked and my room was cold when I wanted it to be.

Now for the internet. Once connected it worked quite fine for a public domain, but efforts should be placed towards improving the speed of the connection. It also may help to provide a login domain, as it took forever to log in, especially on my smart phone or tablet. The hotel may want to look into updating even that portion of their internet if updating the whole thing is out of the question.

The club lounge on the 20th floor was nice, never too crowded, provided decent city views. Breakfast was awesome, although they could do better with providing more options in the evening time for their appetizers. Same thing served every day with the exception of the hot option, which rotated every 3 days. Coffee was delicious and there is even a cappuccino machine for those who wanted it.

My only true complaint and disappointment about this hotel was its housekeeping staff. They were very noisy in the hallways in the afternoons. Having conversations down and across the hallway as they worked. I feel that is completely inappropriate behavior. If I am watching TV in my room I certainly should not be able to hear your conversation over my television. Managers may also want to talk to their staff about appropriate language while at work. A man and a woman (I assumed they were both in housekeeping, but since I am not 100% sure I will just say Sheraton staff members) got into a heated conversation and the man was dropping f-bombs all over the place. Completely uncalled for, especially in your place of work. ESPECIALLY since his foul mouth was able to be heard, again, over my television. Hopefully there weren't any children around to learn any new words.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and the hotel provided everything that I was looking for during my week-long stay. Would I stay here again? Maybe. I may try other hotels in the area first before passing judgement on returning to the Sheraton.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the club rooms if you can afford it.
Green Features: I thought they were great. Good incentive to get other to be environmentally friendly
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear AliciaD,
Thank you for the great feedback you have provided. This level of detail is important for us so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences.

It is nice to hear that you had the opportunity to experience our club level rooms and lounge. We have recently updated our breakfast offerings in the lounge and are in the process of updating our evening offerings, as well. We hope you will be back to see the new selections!

We truly apologize for the inappropriate language used by our housekeeping staff and thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please be assured that your comments have been shared with our management team for review and action.

If you have any further comments, please do not hesitate to connect with us at 215-387-8000, ext. 627 or sheraton@sheruniv.com.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
nyc
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This is allegedly a Sheraton. The place is bustling because of its location next to UPENN
BUT it is substandard. My room was not cleaned upon check in, the elevators are slow and not working, the garage is sort of connected, but on some weird system with a different elevator. The staff is not knowledgeable and marginal. The only worthy thing about this hotel is its proximity to UPenn. So disappointing.....but for the WaWa across the street !

Dear pji,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations nor our high levels of service standards. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Please feel free to contact us at sheraton@sheruniv.com or 215-387-387-8000, ext. 627 so we can discuss this further, as we would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring.

If you have any further questions or comments, please let us know.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Was very pleased with this hotel. Front desk was helpful. Rooms were clean and big and room service food was fast a good. Not much going on in the area but I really didn't go and look :)
Great Stay and bed was comfortable

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear JEKDES-NYC,
We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your experience with us! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Normally when we're in the Philadelphia area we studiously avoid hotels in the airport / downtown areas based on past bad experiences with housekeeping services, and we choose to stay 45 minutes away at a nice hotel in the suburbs. This one time we stayed one night in the University City area because we had business at UPenn early the next morning and we arrived late in the evening. We chose the Sheraton in the hopes that we'd have better luck with customer service.

The night staff was very courteous at the time of checkin. The hotel is intrinsically reasonably nice and clean, although clearly old and in need of a remodel. We were given a room at a choice location reserved for SPG members on the top floor. So far so good.

The one major issue we had was that the bathtub was seriously clogged. Unfortunately, since we checked in late and we really didn't have the time to deal with the disruption of someone coming in and fixing the issue (which, to their credit, the staff did offer to do), we chose to shower while standing in a puddle of water. The key point here is (a) when a guest is checking in late at night and checking out the next day, everything in the room really needs to work, and (b) why on earth did the cleaning staff not alert the maintenance staff of the problem they would surely have noticed while preparing the room prior to checkin?

One minor issue was the tone of some of the staff the next morning. While not rude, they weren't particularly courteous. For example when we requested a slightly late checkout we were responded to with a blunt "no.". Not nice, there are proper ways to talk to guests. The issue is not denial of our requests, it's learning how to talk properly.

We also noticed that (although we didn't directly avail of it via the hotel) the hotel's room service is catered by a so-so low-budget cafe across the street that caters to a student housing complex. Not what you'd expect of a Sheraton.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Vinay S,
We truly apologize for the clogged tub that you experienced. As you noted, this was something that should have been recognized by our housekeeping and engineering teams prior to your arrival. We are reviewing our inspection procedures to ensure that an issue such as this is caught prior to a guest's arrival.
If you have any further comments, please feel free to connect with us directly at 215-387-8000, ext. 627 or sheraton@sheruniv.com. We hope you will give us another opportunity to host your stay in the future.

Tiverton, Rhode Island
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Came to Philadelphia for business and was lucky enough to stay here at the Sheraton. The room was really spacious as was the bathroom (tons of product in the bathroom from mouthwash to conditioner and a loofah!). I absolutely, positively loved their fitness room. Its amazing. They have a pretty nice looking outdoor pool but it rained when I was there so I couldn't use it. I definitely plan on returning the next time I am in Philadelphia. The location of the hotel is great too - really close to the train station and to a ton of restaurants!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Let me start by saying, no one wants to be told that something or someone you are closed to could be paralyzed if he/she/it does not have emergency surgery-welcome to the start of the trip that put me at the Sheraton in University City. After toughing through some hard circumstances, and the philly traffic, we arrived at the U of Pennsylvania and after a few hours learned we would need to stay overnight to make sure our Dog was treated appropriately at the Ryan Veterinary hospital.
We don't live that far from philadelphia but haven't had the opportunity to travel within the city yet for business or pleasure, so this trip was completely new for both of us.

In a hustle, I checked trip advisor for hotels near the vet hospital, and decided on the sheraton based on it being close to the Vet hospital and the reasonable price compared to some of the other hotels in the area.

The first plus about the hotel besides the location is the staff. The courtesy and professionalism of the check in staff was bar none and I have only seen such professional courtesy of that level of excellence in upscale manhattan hotels or in vegas. Not only did they provide us with a comfortable, updated, and clean room, but we were also upgraded to club level at no additional cost.

The beds were comfortable and the room provided ample plugs for all of our devices-you may not think that is a big deal until you find yourself with dire need to communicate to different people on multiple devices with draining batteries.
The staff is definitely the greatest asset on this property but it also offers some stellar amenities such as respectable hotel fitness floor which includes a beautiful pool area, and a stellar club lounge with the BEST breakfast labeled "continental" i've ever seen offered.
Among the downsides are the noise levels(you may from time to time feel like the city streets are IN your room), and the parking garage is not only awkwardly organized but also costs an additional $25 fee, and there were boxes of hotel linens thrown about.

All in All,yes we would absolutely stay here again! This place provided us a home away from home, which was critical to have when we felt like our home was falling apart with our dog being so sick.
Thanks so much to the Sheraton Brand for making me impressed, and contributing to me warming up to the city of Philadelphia...even though I am a hardcore Dallas Cowboys fan!

2 Thank John S
Dear John S,
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Comments and feedback are most often shared when in the negative form, so it is a pleasure to share these motivating statements with our staff whenever we have the opportunity.
Hopefully, all is well with your dog and the treatment was a success. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time that you are in Philly!

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We picked this hotel for two reasons- location near train station and we have always been pleased with Sheratons. We are senior citizens traveling with our 7-year-old grandson. We had trouble finding the entrance to the parking garage so I called the hotel. At one point we were in a wrong lane so by the time we checked in, my husband and I were somewhat frazzled. We had questions about the train station location, getting a taxi for our early morning trip to the train station, and how much it would cost us to leave our car in their garage. The man behind the desk was not helpful. That was disappointing. After we went to the room, we returned to get our questions answered by the concierge. He was on break so a very helpful lady at the hotel desk answered our questions. That night we hung a room service menu on our door. It didn't come so we had to call the main desk 2 times. That man was very nice, however, our breakfast got there as we were pulling our suitcases out of the room to head to the train station. The man at the desk was very apologetic and kind. We didn't get charged for the breakfast. The pool is very nice and my grandson loved his late night swim.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Dr_Granny:
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations nor our high levels of service standards. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. We truly apologize for the late room service breakfast and lack of response/service from the front office team member upon arrival. Please know that your comments are being shared with the department managers for immediate review and corrective action.

Please feel free to connect with us directly at 215-387-8000, ext. 627 or sheraton@sheruniv.com with any further comments. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.