“I can not believe this place is 3 1/2 stars!”

Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
Ranked #15 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
San Francisco, CA
“I can not believe this place is 3 1/2 stars!”
Reviewed 9 January 2009

This hotel was horrible. They pipe in smells not only in the lobby but in the rooms. It smelled like fake chocolate in the room. I liked the free internet but the computer screen is like a huge, bright night light that can not be turned off. I had to lay not one but two towels over it to be able to go to sleep.
The staff is rude and it took several calls to the front desk before someone picked up the phone ( after at least 20 rings!).
The floor in the bathroom was dirty and the room seemed to be clean but not really clean. I was shocked to see this place was rated 3 and a half stars!
Mike at the concierge desk is the only good employee there and made my shuttle plans for me with professional grace. He is the only good thing I have to report about my stay.
I will not be staying in this hotel ever again.

• Liked — Mike at the concierge desk
  • Disliked — Just about everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Seattle WA
Reviewed 31 December 2008

My wife is a finickity traveler, so I booked this room near the GORGEOUS railroad station with a feeling of mild apprehension. We were en route to State College where my youngest daughter was being awarded a PhD and this was our first stop after a weather-troubled and delayed flight from Seattle. I am in my 80th year and she's 15 years younger.

Arriving late, we moved into our room (compact, tidy, well appointed) and the young desk clerk directed us to a nearby restaurant ($5 by taxi) for an abbreviated dinner. The neighborhood was fairly busy with young college students still out. Returning near midnight, we crashed into one of the nicest, warmest beds we've enjoyed in years.

The fried potatoes at breakfast could have been cooked a little longer, but the service was very good and warranted a nice tip.

Next time I'm in Philly, THIS is where I'll stay! My wife was a happy camper; what more could you ask for?

• Liked — The bed; the location
  • Disliked — Couldn't stay another day.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DonB0217
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 15 December 2008

This used to be the main hotel on College campus, until the Hilton opened up. This hotel has never been known to be that nice.

Pros: staff was excellent, very helpful with needs, Location OK
Cons: tight room, uncomfortable bed & linens

If you need a place to stay on campus, it is serviceable. Nothing nice. The rate is high because of the location.

Try to get into Hilton at Penn first!

• Liked — Location, helpful staff
  • Disliked — lousy bed
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 2 December 2008

I stayed at this hotel for one night. When I checked in, the gentleman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. My room was clean and, for the most part, looked recently renovated. The wireless internet worked without a problem. I was on the 14th floor and did hear some street noise throughout the night but it may have been that I was awake due to nerves about the test I had to take the next day! Parking at the attached garage was a breeze and there is a discount for folks staying at the hotel ($20/day). There are good options for a cheap breakfast nearby (cosi, dunkin donuts).

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
California
Reviewed 17 September 2008

I didn't have a choice on staying here, but let me tell you the pictures are very inaccurate. I'm here right now as I type on the provided internet which is great...but instead of spending money on this amenitity perhaps they could put more money towards housekeeping. The carpet has not been vaccuumed, trash not picked up in corners or aroung base boards and I was oh so pleased to find pubic hairs embedded in the hand towel I was about to use to wipe the tooth paste off my mouth! The bathroom has spills on the floor that were never cleaned and now have accrued dirt that is affixed to them, the bed is uncomfortable and quite frankly I'm scarred to sleep b/c if it's this dirty of what I can see, imagine what is crawling around!?! Hence I'm typing this at 12:30am, when I have an early morning meeting but can't sleep out of fear of being hauled away by creepy crawlies. Gross, gross, gross. If you are paying with your own money or even your companies money DO NOT stay here!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank fleebee77l
Redmond, WA
Reviewed 28 August 2008

The first night we were to stay at this hotel we were irritated because they overbooked and sent us over to the Penn Tower Sheraton (which was pretty bad, but we can't complain too much given they did not charge us). However, they redeemed themselves when we came back a week later for the end of our trip and actually stayed at the University Inn. The room was nice, we got free appetizers in the lounge area, a nice continental breakfast and a computer with free Internet in our room. The beds were plush and our only complaint would really be the digital TV kept tweaking for some reason. But the ammenities, hotel staff, everything was great. That pool was probably one of the best we've been in because the temperature was perfect, nice and warm. Great stay!

• Liked — Pool, fitness room and the continental breakfast
  • Disliked — Paying for parking and the overall cost
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank JennInWA
Phoenixville, Pa.
Reviewed 18 August 2008

Stayed for a weekend getaway. Enjoyed everything. Nice place (stayed on 17th floor which is Starwood preferred room, I think). Had a nice city view and a nice LCD high def TV. Breakfast was included in our package and it was a full breakfast from a menu.

Close enough to walk to nice restaurants. Parking was an added $20 per day (included in and out rights, so that is not bad for Philadelphia.)

Weakness was concierge service. Young guys that didn't know much about the city from our experience. But, no big deal since there were lots of Phila pamphlets to be had and we had our plans made in advance anyway for shows.

All staff were friendly and helpful. We were treated well and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Liked — Package rate compared to other offers in the city
  • Disliked — Concierge
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
HotelManagerMJ, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2008
Thank you for your kind words. We truly value your comments and appreciate your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again!