“Sheraton Univ. City great for U Penn Hospital Stay”

Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
Ranked #17 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Tampa, Florida
“Sheraton Univ. City great for U Penn Hospital Stay”
Reviewed 16 May 2009

We stayed for two nights at Sheraton University City while my father had a short stay in the University of Pennsylvania Hospital for minor surgery.

We chose this hotel based on its location (just a few blocks from the hospital), its value (we paid about $160 a night including tax) and available parking in its garage ($20 bucks a night).

The rooms are a good size, and each comes with a large desk, rolling chair, and an in room computer with free internet access. The internet access was good, with only one occasion where it ran a little slow. The beds were comfortable, and had ample pillows and blankets.

Bathroom was a little small, and if you have more than two people in the room, you'll need to give yourselves enough time in the morning to get ready one by one. Water pressure was good, and hot water was abundant.

The room was pretty clean, with a few bumps and marks on the walls, but nothing serious. The rest of the hotel was also clean and comfortable, including the front desk/lobby area. Staff was friendly, but we didn't have any major issues or questions.

We ate in the hotel restaurant, The Pallet, and found it to be good. Not really any pricier than elsewhere in the area, and the food quality, portion size and service was good.

The hotel offers room service, and has a fitness center and pool, none of which we used. Parking in the garage was easy, although it is a small garage with fairly tight corners and spaces. But we managed ok in our mid-size SUV.

TIP: Although we didn't use it, we did find a really good deal on the hotel's website. On the left side under packages, choose the Philly Zoo option, and book through that page. You can get an upgrade to a junior suite, plus zoo tickets and all the other extras starting at $150 a night plus tax/parking. Don't know how long its good for.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 20 April 2009

I recently stayed at this property and had a very nice experience. The staff was friendly and efficient, and my room had a good view into the city. teh wi-fi worked wonderfuly, and the front seak staff didn't once complain when I asked them to fax document after document (I was trying to put a contract on a house.)
The property seemed well maintained, and the location is great if you have business at Penn, Drexel, or the nearby Medical Center. Since it is right next to a college, there are numerous diverse dining options within walking distance, and the staff pointed me in the right direction.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
HotelManagerMJ, Owner Representative at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2009
Thank you for your kind comments! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We value our guests and always want to know how they enjoyed their stay. We look forward to welcoming you again!

Deanna Gonzalez |
Guest Services Manager
Sheraton Philadelphia University City

3549 Chestnut Street I Philadelphia I Pennsylvania I 19104
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 19 March 2009

The Sheraton University Hotel is located in a perfect location if you are visiting UPenn. The hotel is clean, and the rooms are comfortable. Internet is included although it is very slow. Overall, the hotel is what one would expect from a Sheraton except the service was not up to Sheraton standards. On three separate occasions, the front desk staff seemed completely uninterested in assisting guests. The hotel should send its front desk staff to the hotel school next door to learn that poor customer service will keep customers from returning to an otherwise good hotel.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 15 March 2009

The room was clean and the work station was excellent. Flat screen TV with HD was nice. Nathrrom clean and well stocked. Freindly staff, quick check in and helpful.
I will be back. A good spot for the downtown business travelerr.

Honolulu
Reviewed 10 March 2009

Great location, nice sized rooms with a comfy bed and other nice amenities (free internet, HD tv), nice workout room (but I rarely go to the gym so I get excited about having a ipod power dock & tv built into the treadmill), competent but not the most friendly staff (but Philly is like that in general it seems, you can get decent service, it's just rather warily or grudgingly delivered). I was able to turn off the computer monitor in my room and check in and the restaurant were fine. The business services were limited and I had a problem trying to print a document because I'm not a total Microsoft slave.

My main gripe is that the A/C/heater was so loud it was like it sounded as if it was powering the whole floor, not just my room. I had to keep it off at night in order to sleep. And the soundproofing (if any) was totally insufficient to deal with the noise from the nearby elevated rail, or even when the guest in the room next door (or maybe above) took a shower or ran water in the sink. Comfy bed is no match for that. I don't expect sylvan silence in the middle of a city but do expect some reasonable effort be put towards muffling the sound of something like a a clanking, squealing train. This was similar to my experience living under the Chicago El.

San Jose
Reviewed 6 March 2009

This hotel was in a state of chaos when I stayed there. I had to wait hours to get into my room, which ill suited my purpose for being in Philadelphia. The room we finally got into had a broken air conditioning. After several complaints we were moved to a different room where the computer access was dysfunctional. Several service calls for that failed to fix it. There was a noisy construction job on the entire floor above us, so riveters started at 7 a.m. every morning. There was an English-as-a-second language school on the floor below us, so partying went on all night. The whole experience was a nightmare. Our "special conference rate" for all this was $189 before taxes.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
philadelphia, pa
Reviewed 19 February 2009

The actual hotel and room was great- HOWEVER, I got screwed out of $20!! I had called ahead before my stay and was told that parking was a flat rate of $20. When checking-in the woman asked if I parked in the garage. I told her I did and she handed me a card with my room number and what not, and she said to show it to the parking attendant. She did NOT tell me though, that they would automatically charge the $20 to my credit card! I didn't know then, but aparently the card was just so that I could leave and come back in to the garage throughout the day. Upon leaving the hotel I presented the parking attendant with the card the woman gave me and $20. That man took my $20!! He had to have just put it in his pocket. Now I can't get my $20 back because the guy didn't give me a reciept. They need to train the ppl at the front desk to explain what they are giving the guests, and they need to explain what integrity is to the parking garage attendant!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends