“Good functional hotel near UPenn and Drexel”

Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
Ranked #15 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I stayed in this hotel because of work requirement. I found out the hard way that it is a little far from the downtown and touristy areas. There is a subway stop two streets away so that helps. But taking a cab can add up quickly.

The room is what I would expect of a Sheraton although the carpet in my room was a tad shabby, making me wonder when they last renovated. The bed was clean and comfortable; there were toiletries; the hangers were removable so I could hang my shirt on the shower-curtain rail.
Breakfast at The Pallet is not too bad. You get a choice from a one-page menu.

My gripes are:
1. the small bathroom. Sit on the toilet and your feet would be on the bath-towel for the bathtub.
2. The airconditioner is the box unit kind found in motels. Instead of getting rid of it, they upgraded it so that there are wall-mounted controls in addition to the controls on the unit. I turned off the unit when I was getting ready to sleep. Oh, and yes, the unit blows cold air on to your shoulder when you are at the desk.
3. For some reason, my window howled when there was a storm one evening. The only way to get rid of it was to open the window slightly--in which case traffic noise gets in.
4. Service was spotty. I did laundry and there was one day I had to go to reception to pick it up. Another time, I had to call for the laundry to be delivered. It is the first time that I have had to call for laundry delivery.

If you have to be in the area and you are not demanding of their service, the hotel is probably ok. Otherwise, you should be able to do better.

Reviewed 31 May 2009

Location was perfect, since I was walking to the Children's Hospital each day. I found the hotel lobby charming and the staff very friendly. My room was clean & the computer was a perk. Found it a bit slow but was happy to have one in the room for emails. The bed was very comfortable, with lots of pillows. Only negative was that the air conditioner was very loud . Ate in their dining room in the evenings and enjoyed scrumptious meals and great service.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I've stayed at this hotel many times, most recently two years ago. It's decent -- not terrible but never very impressive either. If you're visiting Penn or Drexel or one of the smaller nearby schools, the location is great -- but if you want to tour the city, you should only stay here if you get a great deal.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2009

The Sheraton University City exceeded my expectations when I stayed here for one weeknight in mid-May 2009.

Well-maintained, somewhat older business hotel, clearly making every effort to stay current. The lobby is nice, with seating, though the fake-wood floor looked a bit too fake. My two-double-bed room was clean and modern, with a flat-screen TV and -- get this -- not just free Wifi in the room, but an actual PC with free internet, as well as an excellent hub for USB or other devices. I had the sense that this may be a new convenience Sheraton is rolling out. Bathroom was tidy and in good repair, though not recently redecorated, based on the old-style square tiles.

My (negotiated-contract) rate included breakfast. The appealing menu yielded a much larger and better than average omelet. I believe all the breakfast items were in the $10-12 range if you were paying cash; I've had much worse breakfasts for much more money at many Hiltons, Sheratons, Marriotts, etc, so this was a definite plus.

Location: Excellent -- a major plus. 6 to 8 blocks from the 30th Street Station (main Amtrak station in Philadelphia). You could walk it, though they aren't short blocks; I took a cab ($8 including tip). Directly adjacent to the Penn campus, three or so blocks from the Locust Walk main drag. Also very near the Drexel campus, and a few blocks from the major hospitals (Penn and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia). Starbucks down the block, multiple restaurants in the area, and a Wawa convenience store across the street.

1  Thank tahl2
Reviewed 16 May 2009

We stayed for two nights at Sheraton University City while my father had a short stay in the University of Pennsylvania Hospital for minor surgery.

We chose this hotel based on its location (just a few blocks from the hospital), its value (we paid about $160 a night including tax) and available parking in its garage ($20 bucks a night).

The rooms are a good size, and each comes with a large desk, rolling chair, and an in room computer with free internet access. The internet access was good, with only one occasion where it ran a little slow. The beds were comfortable, and had ample pillows and blankets.

Bathroom was a little small, and if you have more than two people in the room, you'll need to give yourselves enough time in the morning to get ready one by one. Water pressure was good, and hot water was abundant.

The room was pretty clean, with a few bumps and marks on the walls, but nothing serious. The rest of the hotel was also clean and comfortable, including the front desk/lobby area. Staff was friendly, but we didn't have any major issues or questions.

We ate in the hotel restaurant, The Pallet, and found it to be good. Not really any pricier than elsewhere in the area, and the food quality, portion size and service was good.

The hotel offers room service, and has a fitness center and pool, none of which we used. Parking in the garage was easy, although it is a small garage with fairly tight corners and spaces. But we managed ok in our mid-size SUV.

TIP: Although we didn't use it, we did find a really good deal on the hotel's website. On the left side under packages, choose the Philly Zoo option, and book through that page. You can get an upgrade to a junior suite, plus zoo tickets and all the other extras starting at $150 a night plus tax/parking. Don't know how long its good for.

Reviewed 20 April 2009

I recently stayed at this property and had a very nice experience. The staff was friendly and efficient, and my room had a good view into the city. teh wi-fi worked wonderfuly, and the front seak staff didn't once complain when I asked them to fax document after document (I was trying to put a contract on a house.)
The property seemed well maintained, and the location is great if you have business at Penn, Drexel, or the nearby Medical Center. Since it is right next to a college, there are numerous diverse dining options within walking distance, and the staff pointed me in the right direction.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
HotelManagerMJ, Owner Representative at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2009

Thank you for your kind comments! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We value our guests and always want to know how they enjoyed their stay. We look forward to welcoming you again!

Deanna Gonzalez |
Guest Services Manager
Sheraton Philadelphia University City

3549 Chestnut Street I Philadelphia I Pennsylvania I 19104

Reviewed 19 March 2009

The Sheraton University Hotel is located in a perfect location if you are visiting UPenn. The hotel is clean, and the rooms are comfortable. Internet is included although it is very slow. Overall, the hotel is what one would expect from a Sheraton except the service was not up to Sheraton standards. On three separate occasions, the front desk staff seemed completely uninterested in assisting guests. The hotel should send its front desk staff to the hotel school next door to learn that poor customer service will keep customers from returning to an otherwise good hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business