“First time at Sheraton and Philadelphia”

Ranked #50 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“First time at Sheraton and Philadelphia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

First off... the beds are FABULOUS! Our conference left us always tired... these beds were comfy, plenty of pillows, great linens. Loved them - seriously. The front desk staff was great, always helpful and full of smiles. When my flight was cancelled they stepped right in to help me out....

but for the price of the hotel, and the food .. here are my not so complimentary thoughts:

1. The menu is very limited, and for someone who has health issues, not very healthy. I had to continually ask to substitute fried food options for simple veggies such as broccoli. The first night, it wasn't too bad. The waiter was nice. I ordered ice tea instead of alcohol, and it was hard for the "bar" to adjust to non-alcohol requests. The main dining room isn't open at night, so you are forced to limited seating in the bar area. With limited tables, I had to sit at a high table which isn't overly comfortable and the tables are smaller. The second night, the waitress was rather rude, I felt, and when I requested broccoli again instead of the onion rings, I received stern looks. I also asked for the sauces on the side. My food came covered with the sauce and with a limp vegetable i didn't recognize. The gentlemen who brought me my food was extremely apologetic (I admit, I broke into tears I was so frustrated by that point) and told me he would bring me another dish. My ice tea still had not been refreshed, I had nothing to drink. I asked him for more tea, and although happy to do that for me, I still didn't receive it. The manager approached me and I explained that I was sure the dishes were tasty, I just had dietary needs that restricted the use of sauces -- and what I asked for was simple. The waitress finally checked on me again and let me know my tea was coming. I finished dinner without anything else to drink.... finally the tea came, but it was sweet tea. I returned it and asked for another glass of regular ice tea, as I had before. Ten minutes later I neither had my tea or my bill. I received a message that my flight was cancelled. I got up, asked the bartender for my bill, and eight minutes later finally got it. I normally tip at 25% when I travel, but did not do so on this occasion .... and was worried about what I could eat for dinner with my additional stay.

I returned to my room, dialed "o" for help and explained my plane issue... she told me I would be able to stay and put me on hold to transfer me to the front desk. I was on hold for approximately 40 minutes. I finally hung up, put my shoes back on and went down to the front desk. They did not, of course, receive the call.

On the bright side.... the front desk was extremely helpful and wonderful, and after they heard my story about dinner, comped me breakfast and two drinks (which I might actually use tonight!). The Concierge desk is fabulous! Every one at that desk is fabulous and helpful, and I wish I knew their names to leave kudos .... but truly, all of them ROCK! High marks for this group!

The dining staff that I have met during the breakfast hours are also lovely folks. Thu (I hope I spelled that right) has greeted me each morning and remembers what I drink, helps me feel welcomed and special, a nice treat when away from home. Now, tonight, I am unable to eat my "take in" (since I don't want to experience dinner here again) in the lounge area with a "light" beer or glass of wine. I must retreat to my room.

So for comfort, I rate this hotel high .... for some of the staff, high marks. But I feel there is a lack of cohesive customer service and rules that make for a more unpleasant stay. There is no reason for me to "hang" here when I cannot enjoy eat or drink, and am unable to enjoy any socialization - as a "lone" traveler, that can make a difference.

Not that I wouldn't come back..to Sheraton.... the beds are dreamy. But I would make sure there are plenty of places to eat within a short distance if possible (and in honesty, there are places here, but we are in the middle of an extreme cold snap and walking in the cold is tough right now!) I would just encourage that all areas of the hotel work together for the best customer experience, which is not the case now. And I would improve the menu.

Room Tip: i was on the 19th floor and enjoyed it!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Paul B, Director of Front Office at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Gayle R,

Thank you for your review of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay overall and are looking forward to connecting with you again in the future. We'll certainly share your experience with our food and beverage experience in order to make improvements.

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Abingdon, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

This was an awful hospitality experience from start to finish. We checked in late in the evening and they put us in a handicap room that our wall was next to the elevators and we didn't get any sleep because of the loudness. We had reserved a specific room, but they said they just give the rooms away to anyone and that reservations of specific room types can't be honored - and we are Starwood Preferred Guests! The walls are paper thin. There are no counters in the bathroom. Just an old sink with a tiny cupboard that was too fragile to put anything on. They said this was the case in all the rooms. They claimed if you put out a don't clean my room for being green you would receive coupons for the hotel amenities, but they only gave us one for the three nights we did this. Each day the maids left their carts in the halls ALL DAY and never cleaned the halls, which the floors were nasty. The bellhops would give you dirty looks and act like you were doing something wrong if you didn't use them and even had the nerve to say they wouldn't let me use their luggage rack unless they brought it up, not to mention one guy being irate we parked our car thirty feet from the door to load our luggage as we were leaving. For the amount of money spent, this was not the good experiences we ALWAYS get at Marriots and Hiltons.

2 Thank John S
Paul B, Director of From Office at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear John S,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Please accept our most sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations during your stay. It looks like we missed the mark in a few different areas and we will certainly use your feedback to address any deficiencies. We hope you give us another chance if you return to Philadelphia in the future.

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I was there for a conference and granted it was freezing outside but it was chilly in the hotel too. Conference rooms were cold, ranging from 52-62 degrees. We complained and were moved to a slightly warmer room that did not heat up until our last day there. Also there was a fire alarm that had us anxiously standing in our rooms and halls for about 15 minutes (the announcement instructed everyone to wait for further instructions, not to use the fire exit). After the all clear was given the false alarm was never explained.

Dear Ann B,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Please accept our apologies for the temperatures, sub-zero conditions can certainly be challenging. We hope to see you again if you return to Philadelphia.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

The hotel itself was very good but could use a little updating. If you are going to the convention center, I would recommend either taking a cab or finding a closer hotel. I did not feel safe walking in the area. In fact, I opted for room service for the majority of my stay rather than venturing out by myself. The room service food and staff were excellent though.

Dear IrishTraveler2013,

Thank you for your review of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel! We are delighted you had such a pleasant stay and look forward to connecting with you again soon!

montgomery county
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

We usually boo at the Westin, however availability was limited when he decided to go so stayed at the Sheraton as it was near to the destinations were were visiting. Hotel was being redone when we were there. I would give the hotel a passing grade. The service was was quite good requested extra towles and they were there quickly. The room was recently remodelled so all was clean. View of the city from the room was a nice surprise. Stayed three nights and it was quiet each night. Nothing to write home about, no wow factor, but it was reasonable for the price and there were no unexpected surprises. Kids enjoyed the pool and the workout area appeared well equipped.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear rporter418,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay overall; we are most happy that you appreciated the efforts of our team. We hope to see you again in the future.

Worcester, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Hotel room is adequate, though the stained carpets are unpleasant. Service is problematic. Called at 8 am about a broken lamp. Not fixed by 5. Called again and it was finally fixed by 6. First night supper was in the bar since the restaurant was not open. Hard to get anyone's attention even though there weren't many people there. After 30 minutes, I placed my order. When it arrived, the single crabcake was tasty, but the wait for a check seemed to take forever. Overall impression was that the staff needs work on customer service -- or maybe they are understaffed.

2 Thank happytraveller01605
Dear happytaveller01605,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are dissapointed that you did not enjoy your experience on our restaurant. We will certainly share your feedback with our food and beverage team. We hope to see you again in the future.

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

I am an avid Starwood Preferred Guest member (platinum level) and I have been staying at this hotel now for over 5 years and I have to say it has really, gradually gone down hill over the years to the point where Iam taking the time to write a review. Where shall I start:

ROOM 3 out of 10
Stains on the carpet, shower head nearly about to fall off. Only reason I gave it a 3 is that the bathroom was clean and the beds appear to be clean. Clearly no one is going around the rooms and identifying what is not right and making an effort to fix it.

STAFF 2 out of 10
On check-in the front desk lady (tanikqua?) was more pre-occupied with texting someone on her phone than she was checking me in. She had her phone in front of her and kept picking it up, laughing and replying. Wait staff at the resteraunt is barely tolerable, I asked for a cappicino at breakfast and it was made clear it was an inconvenience as she would have to walk down to the starbucks and pick it up.

DECOR 2 out of 10
Hallways are dingy with carpets stained in places and not vaacumed.

it's obvious that this place is in major need of retrofit and new management.
This is the last time I am staying there!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kranjan
Dear kranjan,

Thank you for your review on our hotel. Please accept our apologies for what you have experienced lately; we certainly hold ourselves to a higher standard than what you have mentioned. We will share your comments with our team and make sure to make necessary improvements. We hope you continue to stay with us while in Philadelphia.