“I was very impressed with cleanliness, modernity, roominess, I think some of the reviews are not very fair...”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #50 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Maidstone, Kent, England
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I thought for the money I paid this was truly amazing. Admittedly I did pay about half the going rate... Room was excellent. Roomy, comfortable, great central location. Breakfast extortionate - didn't eat at hotel (except for buffet lunches)

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Norfolk, VA
Reviewed 17 June 2009

We booked our room for two nights in mid-June for a relaxing get-away weekend. When I got into line to check in, I was behind an exasperated family who had been through 3 rooms because of issues. My thought was that it was unfortunate and that they must be too picky...my mistake. It was foreshadowing.

Our first room had horrible, dirty stains all over the carpet and the pipes whined when the toilet was flushed. Room two was clean enough but the A/C didn't work. After a 6 hour drive, our third room was decent enough that we were able to rest. The front desk did offer us one free breakfast buffet ticket as compensation for our troubles.

I know that room maintenance was not the problem of the front desk, but it is the hotel’s responsibility to keep up the rooms. I am very disappointed and will not book there again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CentaurNC

Travellers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

USA
Reviewed 11 June 2009

I was able to book this hotel the day of my stay for $57 through Priceline. Yes! I stayed for a weekend as I was attending an event at Penns Landing, which was about an $8 cab ride from the hotel.

The location of this hotel is just perfect for everything, late night eats, Walnut Street shopping, downtown, you name it. The room was nicely appointed (although it's weird that each day there were only 2 bath towels for the room - isn't there usually four?). The pool only accommodates 15 people, the workout room was huge for a hotel, and the staff were friendly (save the one guy concierge who seemed put out to, erhm, DO HIS JOB).

This room was available for the weekend on sheraton.com for $99 and it would have been worth it even at that price.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Although the location was really good, this hotel was not. It had a very tired look to it, from the lobby all the way to the room. The elevators didn't work very well, sometimes passing my floor as I waited for it. The gym was very unkept- some of the weights were missing, the machines were old and one of them was broken without a sign. There were also towels and plastic cups scattered around the floor. The only positive? The fresh towels.

Although my room looked nice it was small. The bed wasn't level, so it tilted, and we didn't receive washcloths the first night we were there.

The bright spot in this whole trip was breakfast- the buffet was excellent and the staff were very nice.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank ADWashington
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Good for a stop over/ one or two night stay. Great location overlooking the Logan Circle and close to the Museum of Art. Philadelphia is a small place to cover- almost everything you need to see is more or less within 10-12 blocks of this hotel. I will stay there again. Weekend parking specials can reduce your parking costs- ours cost $15 for 24 hrs. which is great considering rates elsewhere, for e.g. the Independence Visitor Center was $16.50 for more than 2 hrs. Nice view if you get the odd number rooms on the 21st floor- 2103 to 2119 or so..

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 June 2009

We started our stay attending a conference at the Philly Convention Centre and then we had a few days vacation after that. We got free in-room Internet access as part of the conference attendance - the service was very good. There are also computers, with printers, in the lobby that you can use for free if you don't want to pay for in-room access. The hotel location is very handy for walking to the convention centre, and many of the Phila's attractions. It is close to the Phlash bus route ($5 for unlimited travel for 24 hours). The room was quiet and comfortable, but the double beds were a bit small - there were two in the room tho... I'd choose a room with one queen size bed if you don't need two beds. Breakfast in the lobby area was great and the service was good - it was not included in the room rate however, so this is not the cheapest place in town (we also used a B&B in Phila a few days later and that was two thirds of the cost with breakfast, wireless Internet access and unlimited refreshments all included). There is a Philips seafood restaurant is on-site, which is great (you can charge the meals to your room too). There is also a car rental office in the lobby, which was convenient for us when we left to travel to West Virginia.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank tepl
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 May 2009

My wife and I spent 2 nights at this Sheraton. It was truly a mixed bag......When we arrived we were shocked by the length of the check in line. Probably 20 people in line, 2 people working check in. Took forever! although they gave us a bottle of water and a snack for waiting.
We then waited several minutes for the elevator, sadly this was a recurring problem. We were pleased w the deor of the room. Comtemporary furniture, comfortable bed, nice shower product. Although the room was no smoking it certainly smelled like someone just got done smoking a pack!! At some point later that night, we discovered black lace panties hanging on the chair, they were not ours. My wife was horrified! We called housekeeping who promised to get rid of them ASAP. Well ASAP to the sheraton must mean 24 hours later, My wife was not pleased. Suffice to say we will NOT be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple