“Sheraton Philadelphia City Center has undergone a recent renovation”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #55 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 2 June 2010

After reading the reviews of the Sheraton Philadelphia City Center here on Trip Advisor, I have to admit feeling a bit of trepidation about staying here. But Sheraton had a nice promotion going and the rooms were unbelievably cheap ($99/night) for the center of Philadelphia on Memorial Day weekend. I usually stay at another Starwood property down the street (the Westin) when I visit Philadelphia, and I have to say that some of the Westin mojo has rubbed off on this Sheraton in terms of the room furnishings, the dark wood paneling in the rooms and hallways, and the very nice bathroom extras (thermal shaving cream!). Here I have to admit that I'm in the Starwood Preferred Guest Program, and I seem to have lucked into a fantastic room at the hotel. The room was up on the 25th floor and had sweeping views out onto the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and the Philly Museum of Art. (There was a plaque on the elevators that said "Starwood Preferred Guest Floor" so I think the other floors might not be as nice) If you're visiting the museum district of Philadelphia, this hotel is perfectly situated -- you literally walk out onto Logan Circle and can easily walk up to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and Fairmount Park. It's about a 5-minute cab ride to the 30th Street Amtrak train station. The only negatives of the hotel, I have to admit, is that some of the renovation work of the hotel seems to have a ways to go. For example, the fitness center and pool area still needed an upgrade. And, the massive size of the hotel (it's really a hotel for hosting convention guests, it seems like) makes it conducive to groups of travelers and large families, less so for a romantic getaway. During the Memorial Day weekend, the lobby was buzzing and active. That being said, the concierge and check-in staff were very friendly, courteous and professional. And, when we needed extra towels and hair dryer, were very quick to bring replacements. Big kudos to Starwood for revitalizing the Sheraton brand! Especially if you're an SPG program member, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how nice the rooms are!

Reviewed 27 May 2010

This Sheraton was huge and located within proximity of where we can walk or take the Phash Trolley for our activities. It offered the amenities that we wanted except no free internet in the room, business center internet was free. It has a seafood restaurant for evening dinners and a cafe for breakfast and lunch, there are many restaurants within walking distance. It has big ballrooms for conferences and seminars. We got a good deal for our 2 nights stay. We had a standard room with king bed and there was a view of downtown City Hall from our window. It was clean and comfortable. The TV was old with limited channels and should be updated. We wanted to watch the Lakers vs Suns, but was not available. You had to go to the bar to see the game. Since they provided no airport shuttle we use the Lady Liberty Shuttle for $10 per person to get to the hotel.

Reviewed 25 May 2010

O.K., maybe if you want a flat screen t.v, you are going to be disappointed.

Other than that, every blessed thing was just fine and totally painless.

They even had bottled water, sodas in cans, fruit and PHILLY Pretzels at check-in with people to help GIVE them away if you wanted. When has that happened last?.....O.K. maybe those super caloric DoubleTree cookies that spoil your appetite, but Soft Pretzels - Philly's #2 gift to America? Great idea.

The room was clean and spacious. The furniture recently re-upholstered (it seemed) in a tasteful way. There just was nothing to complain about. And yes, the parking was more than 1/2 the cost of the room, BUT YOU CAN PARK across the street for much less! Big deal. There are plenty of places to park that cost less. Please do not complain; my guess is that the parking is a concession and the prices are set by the concessionaire and not the hotel.

The hotel is not really in the center, but it is not more than a five minute walk to the "Center" which is three blocks away -to Market street.

Be aware that Sheraton seems to sell a block of rooms here to Priceline, so if that is in your travel radar, use it. You'll save a bundle and you can use that money to pay for the parking - and complain about it- if you want to. Or you can buy lots of cheese steaks!!

Reviewed 13 May 2010

The hotel is located in the center of the city and within walking distance of many downtown attractions (Your mileage may very). From our room we could see the Philadelphia Art Museum and the Ben Franklin Science Museum on a traffic circle surrounding a beautiful fountain. The room was large with two queen beds and a comfortable desk. We were there for three days and the beds were exceptional. We don’t watch much TV but we could rent the latest movies in the room. We did use room service once and they arrived on time with hot food. The lobby and property are beautiful. Everything looked well kept up and clean. I would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed 12 May 2010

I was in town to watch my son compete in the Aberdeen Dad Vail Rowing Regatta in May. I got a great rate on Hotwire and was concerned when I read some negative reviews here. My experience was positive. The staff was courteous and accommodating. Parking ($20/day for guest) was available on site and I was free to come and go without having to pay again. Room on the 8th floor had nice views, was clean and had a comfortable bed. I agree with the previous post about temperature control not working as it should, but, I was comfortable. The best feature is the location near museums, boathouse row, and downtown. Overall, a good experience with no problems.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2010

I've read some of the poor reviews and I can't agree. Then again, I stayed in a Jr. Suite...so I'm not sure how much difference there is from the standard room. All I can say is, from my experience...amazing views of the museums, refrigerator, super comfortable bed! There's no flat screen tv, which would definitely make it more swanky but I didn't really care for TV in the room anyway. It's in a great location. Having lived here all of my life, I'm glad I got to see the city from this room on the 16th floor.

Reviewed 6 May 2010

I read the other reviews before heading out to this hotel for a mandatory work meeting. I thought the reviews seemed overly negative for a decent chain like Sheraton. Let me just tell you they were all correct!

First off is the "renovation" issue. Sheraton claims recently completing this. I would disagree. My closet didn't have a door, but had tracks for where a door used to be, maybe in the 1970s. The furniture is older, but is fine. The tv is a regular one, not a fancy flat screen. I will say the bathroom appeared updated and the bed was very comfy. Sadly, the a/c does not get a favorable rating. It was set on 58 when I arrived, which is the lowest possible setting. It would still kick off and on and I would get hot at night. There was nothing I could do and the fact it was pre-set before I checked in said the whole story. It was loud as well. All night, all day loud as it turned off and on. Also, the phone didn't work. These things happen, but I called to report it on the other phone and they never addressed it in the 3 nights I was there.

The other major limitation is service. My room had no soap. Anywhere. Is soap a luxury? I did call and they did deliver. What about towels? I know that some hotels like to remove the ones on the floor and in the shower and replace them each day. Nope, not Sheraton.

Although they did replenish my coffee each day in the room (thank goodness for those mini-Starbucks packages), they left plenty of trash. I got good at putting my own trash in the trash bin, but other hotels are simply cleaner.

My corporate rate was $159. I did not know that until checkout and assumed we were paying $89 for this sub-par hotel. Even at $89, it would have been a disappointment.

In short, this hotel does allow you to sleep, assuming that temperature and noise don't influence your sleep. The bathroom was clean, after I moved away those extra towels from the day before. You would be just fine at this hotel, but you would not be happy. You would not walk away thinking Sheraton was a good brand or one you would stay in again in the future.

One final note - I made countless jokes about my missing-door closet and found out others had "partial doors" or no doors as well. The standards of this hotel are not random occurrences, but rather a continuous theme.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business