“Surprise! My 2 teeanger girls enjoyed Eastern State Penitentiary”

Eastern State Penitentiary
Book In Advance
More Info
US$60.00*
and up
Philadelphia 3-Combo Tour: Hop-on Hop-off, Eastern State Penitentiary, and...
Ranked #3 of 435 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site was once the most famous and expensive prison in the world, but stands today in ruin, a haunting world of crumbling cellblocks and empty guard towers. Known for its grand architecture and strict discipline, this was the world’s first true “penitentiary,” a prison designed to inspire penitence, or true regret, in the hearts of convicts. Tours today include the cellblocks, solitary punishment cells, Al Capone’s Cell, and Death Row.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
phoenix
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Surprise! My 2 teeanger girls enjoyed Eastern State Penitentiary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

My teenage daughters and I took the BIg Bus to Eastern State Penitentiary and used our Philadelphia Pass to enter. We ended up enjoying the tour more than we thought we would. We were also given an additional tour of the hospital area which was interesting. Having an audio guide was great . I think they liked hearing stoies from the prisoners and we all pondered solitary confinment. They have Al Capone's cell decorated the way it was when he was there which was also interesting.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank twiceblessed9

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“I am local to philly and spent 4 hours here. Groin Vaultes ceilings, wow.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Foe me it was more to see how the complex was built and what remains. You will not be disappointed by the prison. Yes, Al Capone's cell look cool, but i much more preferred the missing plaster to see the wood underneath.

Visited August 2013
haddon Heights
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Interesting.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Vey informative. You can wander around by yourself and stop to ask questions of personnel located in particular areas. What is really unique and considerate is they have a "warning" on their map/brochure which exhibits are not "kid friendly." We spent 1 1/2 hours there with minimal whining from our teenage kids (apart from their normal whining...)

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Tamara E
Madison, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A unique site”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This place is authentic and cool. A real prison that was operational until 1971. Left as it was. You can't see this anywhere else. A cool audio tour with Steve Buscemi narrating.

Visited July 2014
Arlington, Virginia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I visited Eastern State because my friend wanted to. I wasn't initially excited about it. Once inside, I realized there was much more to it than I ever thought and really enjoyed the self guided audio tour and stories/history. Definitely don't miss it if you are in Philly!

Visited June 2014