“An Authentic Moroccan-Israeli Cuisine”
Review of Zahav

Zahav
Reserve with OpenTable
Zahav is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 4,359 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Israeli
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Buffet, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Cross street: Dock Street at Walnut (Between 2nd & 3rd)
SC
“An Authentic Moroccan-Israeli Cuisine”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This place exceeded my expectations. The menu was meticulously selected to represent only the authenticity of the food. It is not americanized, purely original… I can call it “Taste of Israel”.
Few tips:
The Hummus; a must try (it is the best you will ever have) you can consider it as the gold-Standard for comparison in the future.
Be cautious of the “The duck hearts”, it has a very strong-an acquired taste. I would recommend (if you do not mind to try something really different) to ask the chef to cook it well, if you do not ask that, the hearts will be served medium rare, you still can see the blood.
The roasted lamb shoulder, on a scale 0 to 10, and 10 being the highest, I will give it 11. Last time I tried this dish was 13 years ago in Israel, You will not find it in USA prepared with such perfection. Warning, the serving feeds more than two (I will say at least 4 persons).
Beside the excellent food, ambience is very nice, warm, and quiet. Service is of a top restaurant level, I still would recommend asking the Israeli Manager for suggestions; he is very knowledgeable, helpful and welcoming.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

1 Thank TOURtheWORLDMexPal

• Korean first
Detroit, MI
“Sumptuous”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Being from Detroit, we have lots of "Middle Eastern" restaurants, ranging from Lebanese to Yemeni. The Israeli take was just different enough to be exciting. I read some dings about portion size and I think the portions are reasonable for this type of dining. We each ordered the sampler and then ordered different options, giving our table 8 different things to try. Even though the sampler comes with a dessert, I had mine packed up to take home. Next time, I would probably choose a different grilled selection just so I can try other items. The background music was jarring (a bit loud and what's with rap?) but otherwise the atmosphere was smart and sophisticated. Services comes in waves (different people bring the various dishes and all seemed very well acquainted with the ingredients as well as preparation).

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasty bites”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I enjoyed the middle eastern food, but found the restaurant did not live up to its rave reviews. I found the food portions small and the price high. Interesting and tasty food though!

San Diego, California
“Excellent restaurant!”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

My partner and I were in Philly for a trade show and it was recommended that we eat at Zahav by one of its waitresses. We had no idea what to expect. It is a wonderful restaurant serving very inventive Israeli cuisine. The portions are kind of like tapas - one delicious receipe after another that we shared. The service was fabulous - attentive but not hovering, friendly but not intrusive. We highly recommend this spot!

1 Thank SD3212
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Simply great”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Great food, great service, great ambiance. Have eaten here four times now and every time exceeds expectations. And for a high end restaurant, the value is good especially if you order the tasting menu. We had the lamb shoulder, cooked for several days, and had a ton of leftovers. Perfect.