“Enjoyed Every Part”
Review of Zahav

Zahav
Reserve with OpenTable
Zahav is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 4,370 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Israeli
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Cross street: Dock Street at Walnut (Between 2nd & 3rd)
Marquette, Michigan
“Enjoyed Every Part”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I visited here twice in one week. The first was date night with my husband. We enjoyed a fantastic sampling (definitely the must have on the list). The beets were top on our list of favorites along with the turkish hummus. The second time was with a group of close friends. The kitchen was a bit backed up for a monday night but they were fast to accommodate us. I would highly recommend reservations.

• Korean first
Paris, France
“Delicious”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The decor is quite modern and warm.

Highlights of our meal included the hummus, cauliflower and eggplant.

All ingredients were fresh as hell.

I was skeptical because it looked like another trendy place but the food is really great.

Service was professional.

Dinner for 3 with tax, drinks and tip came to about $180.

Make a reservation.

• Visited August 2013
Galway, Ireland
“Gold!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The restaurant is situated in a very quiet residential area of the city; I had actually thought I had taken a wrong turn along the way but alas, I was correct and it is quite easy to find -and- without a map. Upon entering the restaurant, things were in stark contrast to what was going on outside: a lively atmosphere with very few seats vacant. I thought I would have to come back another time - and all this on a Tuesday! But a very nice (and pretty) waitress clad in an black oriental garb had a spot vacant for me - facing the chefs cooking - so all I had to worry about was stuffing thereafter....

And with that, all four of you reading this perhaps want to know about the grub (though aesthetics matter just as much, right?!): I was handed a menu as well as a small selection of vegetables in a white vinaigrette dressing which overpowered a little. The menu was also a little confusing but a benevolent waiter was happy to explain it to me: basically a handful of small plates one at a time and recommended to me the set menu at a very reasonable $39. It started off with a salad of six different vegetables marinated in with hummous and a laffa - a bread not unlike a naan. The mix provided for an explosion of sensational flavours and extremely filling for an appetiser. Nonetheless, I struggled on with a further three plates: one of asparagus with some dressing, grey in colour (don't know what it was but had a delicate enough taste), one of potatoes and some kind of cheese and three spring roll-like pieces of chicken with an apricot dressing. Finally, a small plate of kofte meatballs and a miniature chocolate almond cake for dessert.

Add to that a mint lemonade, a sour cherry iced tea and a cuppa scald at the end (I am Irish, after all) and you have one hell of a meal. I really cannot find fault with any part of the experience: the staff, the food, the building, even the choice of music was excellent (contemporary pop and rock as opposed to the traditional Yiddish music perhaps initially expected). Nicely surprising for someone who's a little on the picky side when it comes to food. A restaurant which quite literally lives up to its name!

• Visited May 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best meal I've ever had”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

If you have the opportunity to eat at Zahav, take it! The food is outstanding and the service is impeccable. I highly recommend getting the roasted lamb shoulder dinner if it happens to be offered as a special when you are there.

Make reservations is advance. If it turns out you are unable to make reservations, stop in anyway for some delicious drinks and appetizers at the bar.

New York City, New York
“Tasty Food with "Many" Spices: Must be Adventuresome!”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Read many reviews -- all said spectacular. Well...it was sorta if you like spending an evening eating food that combines the most unusual and wide array of spices. I'm a foodie but it was a little of a gastronomical overload. The tastings (we did the prix fix) were rather large and by dessert one is beyond stuffed. Service was excellent, good wine selection and nice room. I'd personally go back for a drink and appetizers -- whole dinner too much for me!