“Best Israeli food in the US”
Review of Zahav

Zahav
Reserve with OpenTable
Zahav is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 4,369 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Israeli
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Cross street: Dock Street at Walnut (Between 2nd & 3rd)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Israeli food in the US”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Very pleased that a restaurant exists showcasing the diverse foods of Israel in an upscale setting. Highly recommend the crispy cauliflower and the duck kebabs. Cocktails are also nuanced and refreshing.

Visited June 2014

• Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
“Amongst the BEST!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have dined all over the world. If I consider quality, service, variety, and then the price, (oh, and the Bourbon signature drink) this is certainly one of the best restaurants and I cannot wait for my next business trip to Philadelphia to visit. This was the perfect place to unwind, and enjoy after a long day at the office. THANKS!

Exton, Pennsylvania
“Beyond expectation”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I have never experienced a middle eastern restaurant and wasn't to sure about it. Wow! Had the tasting menu which provided so many different tastes and textures. Servings were small but we did not walk out hungry. Quite the opposite. Also didn't feel as though we were unhealthy as we were served so many wonderful vegetables. Highlights...hummus and laffa (flatbread), eggplant and wedding rice. The lamb was amazing, however, I wouldn't say it tasted like lamb due to the smoking process. The chickpeas served with the lamb were another highlight. Could eat bowls of them. Enjoyed a pitcher of Lemonanna with this meal which was perfect for a summer night. Server was on her game!

New York
“Excellent dining experience”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

A friend in NY referred us to Zahav. I went to Zahav with a friend to catch up and enjoy a great dinner. The server, George was excellent. We ordered the Chef's tasting menu which did not disappoint. We were able to sample the best of what the Chef recommended at a very reasonable price of $48 per person. There was no shortage of food. The hummus, cauliflower and the kale dishes were my favorite. We were full by the time the lamb came, so I enjoyed a good bit of it at home the next day. As I'm not familiar with Israeli wine, our server made a great recommendation of an Israeli Pinot Noir. The Sommelier came by to meet and speak with us about Israeli wines. The music was lively and made the ambience a little more fun. It was not too loud for us to relax and catch up. A perfect dining experience for us.

Milford, CT
“Won't forget this restuarant”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Middle eastern cuisine is one of my favorites so I AM biased. However, this is just an outstanding restaurant and the best restaurant I've been to in Philadelphia.

My significant other and I ate at the chef's table overlooking the kitchen a few weeks ago and what a fun experience it was. Casual elegance for the foodie with palate gripping flavors. Note: if you don't have reservations (which we did not), get there right at 5 PM to snag one of the three spots at the chef's table.

We ordered Tayim which is their tasting menu. I recommend ordering this way. Tayim includes of a choice of two small plates (mezze), choice of one dish grilled over coals (called Al Ha'esh) and one desert. To begin, you are given an Israeli hummus with laffa bread and about 6 very small dishes called Salatim. Some of these Salatim were very good (Israeli salad, quinoa tabouli, eggplant, roasted carrots). The hummus was one of the best I've had anywhere. Goes extremely well with their laffa which is not super heavy bread. For connoisseurs of hummus, there's a number of them on the menu. If you do order the Tayim tasting menu, you get the traditional hummus.

For the small plates, I ordered Pastilla and Crispy Grape Leaves. Pastilla was a deliciously light spring roll-like dish with wonderful flavors of mildly spiced chicken with apricot and almonds. Very strong. The grape leaves filled with spiced ground beef and pine nuts were super flavorful. I couldn't decide which of the small plates I liked better. I'm calling it a tie. My girlfriend had the fried cauliflower and it was sparkling with flavor.

The duck kebab was such a unique take on duck. Almost like a grilled duck meatball but so delicate and delicious along with their dirty rice. Branzino with green chickpeas and favas was really nice as well.

Would go back in a heartbeat. Too bad I don't live closer to Philly.

• Visited May 2014