“Highly Recommended”

The Independent Hotel
Ranked #36 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This hotel is such a gem in Philly. It is quaint and boutique but very high class and well maintained. The staff is warm and courteous. Great location as well.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 September 2011

The Good: We spent 3 nights at The Independent during our recent East Coast vacation. The hotel and rooms are beautiful; high ceilings, hardwood floors, indirect lighting, large widows. The staff was very responsive to our needs and very welcoming. Rooms were clean. The beds were very clean and comfortable (mattress and bedding). Wine and Cheese were available nightly (reds and whites; a good selection) which was a nice perk. The Continental Breakfast that is delivered to your room each morning is also a really nice touch; a cute basked that is filled with items based on the order card you leave outside your door each night. The hotel's location is great as well; very closed to public transportation and within a very easy walk to Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and the Reading Market. The neighborhood also has a really neat "vibe" to it; lots of energy and activity; We ran into a lot of students from the local colleges/universities in the neighborhood.

The Bad: Our assigned room was labeled as "out of service" when we arrived. After the Desk Clerk checked with the manager, we were given the room anyway (I think this should have been an omen). Traveling with two daughters (9 & 13), they immediately noted that the TV remote was missing. On our way out to dinner, we notified the front desk, and when we returned, a remote was in the room (nice recovery; well done!). While the beds were comfortable, one of them squeaked so bad that when I or my wife would roll over or move, the noise would wake the other as well as the children sleeping in the next bed! Upon investigation, it looked as if the bed had experienced some "heavy/improper use" and the supports and side rails were damaged, causing the noise. While this was not a deal breaker for us, it was annoying. Another issue was that the shower drained VERY slowly; after two minutes of use, you were standing in 4 inches for water. Again, not a deal breaker for us, but something I would not have expected. I also was a bit disappointed by the breakfast offerings. While you are given a card each evening, and you are able to order what you want, the quality and selection was not what I anticipated. Only one type of "pastry" was available (a blueberry muffin), and it was a prepackaged Otis Spunkmeyer muffin. Only one type of "dry cereal" was offered, and it was not kid-friendly (Special K). It missed the mark. It felt cheap and did not reflect the quality/service level that the rest of the hotel seemed to be targeting. Finally, on the morning we checked out, we notice for the first time that the room phone was not working. In fact, the phone was completely disconnected from the wall! We plugged it in and tried to locate the other connections, but to no avail. We had not needed the phone prior to then, and so it was not a big issue, but again, not what I would expect. I think the room was labeled as "out of service" for a reason, and we should have been given another room.

Overall, this is a great little hotel. We did enjoy our stay, and I think the issues we had with our room were unique to our room, and not exemplary of the entire hotel. I would recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a well located, boutique hotel in the City Center / Old Town area of Philadelphia. A tweak to the breakfast would be nice. And, if you do have issues at check in with your room being noted as "out of service", take my advice and ask for a different room!

Room Tip: Pay attention at check in; ask if you have concerns
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I researched this hotel, saw high ratings everywhere I looked and thought it was well worth the price, boy was I wrong. From the outside and the cute little lobby I was excited, it was in an excellent location. At first glance the room was great; the design, the style, cute, elegant. Then you get closer and find the furniture is broken, the comforter has visible threads pulled out of it, the lights weird to use if they work at all, exposed wiring, uncomfortable beds, etc. Then there was the bathroom, oh the bathroom. It's an older building so I wasn't expect modern elegance, but clean would have been nice. The view of the mangled construction site next door was really romantic too. In the end we stayed and were awaken all night by the 1920's plumbing that threatened to attack us while we slept.

Room Tip: I would have rather stayed in my car across the street for $25, RUN
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RoadTripChickie
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We (husband, toddler, and dog) stayed here September 3-5. We were in a corner room on the 5th floor and faced the street. The room had a very comfortable king bed and a refrigerator that seemed to freeze everything we put in it. We adjusted the temperature a couple of times, but we still ended up with frozen liquids. We figured it was our error, so we didn't say anything. The coffee we made in the room was horrible, but the coffee in the reception area was better. Also, there is a water filter machine, different teas, hot cocoa, and fruit offered 24/7.
We liked their idea of delivering a simple breakfast to your room. All they ask is that you hang your breakfast tag on the door handle before 10 pm. I hung ours by the given time, but it fell to the floor during the night and was not picked up. No matter because I took it downstairs in the morning and breakfast was delivered at our chosen time;)))
We loved the location. It was an easy stroll (about 4 blocks east) to Washington Square Park. Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell Center, and the National Constitution Center is about 2-3 blocks north of the park.
Now, for the annoyance. I am guessing we were woken up at 3 am by loud voices and car honkings because it was a Saturday night. The voices didn't bother me so much as the darn car honks. Sunday night was very quiet.
Otherwise, we like the hotel and will use it again in the future.

BTW, the hotel is not pet friendly, but the manager graciously allowed us to bring ours due to medical reasons.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My fiancee and I were looking for a place that was within walking distance to interesting sites, but that was also comfortable and had a get-way feel to it. It was his birthday and the night before he moved away for a year. The reception desk and staff did a tremendous job of making us feel welcome and special. We purchased the romantic couples packaged and were treated with wine, cheese, crackers, and godiva chocolates.

The hotel was a great location for strolling to Independence Hall, Washington Square, and a little bit of a walk to Penn's landing. We didn't mind, we loved exploring the city.
We got a great night's sleep- no view from our window, but black-out curtains and quite hallways provided a restful night's sleep and a romantic morning.

The only nuisance we had was the parking attendant at the contracted lot. The attendant must have been on a break because we didn't see anyone for several minutes. Anxious to get to dinner reservations, we stuffed our voucher into the cash slot with our parking number on it. The next day the attendant was rude to us saying we should have waited and that we could get a ticket. In the end, everything was fine, but I might recommend the garage instead of the lot, or If possible, i'd recommend public transportation so you don't have to worry about your car.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank abondgal
IndependentHotel, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

We are all so pleased that you had a wonderful stay and appreciate letting Trip Advisor travelers know of your experience with us. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your romance package too. The Independent Hotel will be introducing our newest addition, which is Fish Restaurant. Having this addition to The Independent, as we never had a full service restaurant, it will open a whole new world of service and guest experiences for wines, dinner, guest room dining and much more. We certainly are excited about enhancing our guest experiences which will include newer type Romance Packages. I do apologize about your unpleasant experience with the parking lot across the way from the hotel. While we do work closely with outside vendors to obtain the best pricing for our guests in parking we are limited to the interaction with them on a customer service level. I did speak with the parking lot manager regarding your post in efforts to avoid any future confusion or unpleasant experiences for our hotel guests. Hope to see you back with us soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

As much as it will distress the convention officials we didn’t stay at the official hotel, the Philadelphia Marriott, as it was priced out of our budget and since nobody pays my way to these gatherings of the tribe but me, what’s out of our budget is always a major consideration.

We stayed at The Independent, a smaller boutique hotel minus all the trappings of a major chain (no valet service, no on-site gym, no parking garage and no hotel bar), but without the jacked-up prices you pay for those luxuries. The Independent was clean, comfortable and austere. I wanted something close to the convention site because in its sprawling Center City area Philadelphia is a walking city.

Our room was the size of a nicely appointed bedroom and we really appreciated the mini-refrigerator (NOT stocked with $5 bottles of water and soft drinks) and the free Wi-Fi was a major selling point for us. If I had to gripe about something, the shower stall was a little tight and could have used a safety mat. That aside, the staff was helpful and informative. While I attended the convention my wife went shopping as the staff pointed out where the nearest Macy's could be found. A complimentary continental breakfast was available as well as a wine tasting in the evening.

It was the easiest check-out I've ever experienced. We loaded up our car, dropped off the room keys and were on our way with a "Thanks for staying and drive safely."

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Independent and as long as you aren't a traveler in need of all the trappings of a big chain hotel (and the costs that go along with them) you'll appreciate its considerable charms. It's not a cookie-cutter hotel and that's what makes it special.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JeffColumbus

We won't tell if you don't tell...! So glad you found us while visiting Philadelphia over your convention. Although we know you could find us thru the Pennsylvania Convention Center Listings - it's nice to hear you went "outside the box." The Independent definitely isn't cookie cutter and we do our best to stand out from the rest. Thank you for making note of this as it's definitely helpful to those other travelers seeking out unique places to stay in Philadelphia - we'd like to think we have that going for us! The Independent is looking to add a handful of new services such as possible Valet Parking, but without the big price tag. As you noted we don't have a gym on site but we do give our guests Complimentary Gym Passes to a full service gym only 1/2 a block away from the hotel at 12th Street Gym. And definitely stay tuned as The Independent is adding a new restaurant on the first floor of our building - so you definitely will have that option of a late night snack, after dinner drinks or even one for the road back up to your room to complete that evening of business emails. Thank you again for finding us during your recent trip to Philadelphia and certainly happy you brought your wife along to experience The Independent too!

Reviewed 27 August 2011

Searched Trip Advisor for a hotel that included breakfast and internet in the cost of the room. Also wanted it to be close enough to Old Town but near the subway to get to the Phillies game. The Independent was it. Didn't realize until I got there what a great place The Independent actually was. There are excellent restaurants just a few blocks away. Perfect location - centrally located to everything. We took a food tour and the whole time we were blocks from our hotel. Rooms are beautiful. The breakfast that is dropped at your door in the morning was wonderful. Loved the microwave and minifridge - definitely used them both. Front desk staff was always so helpful in recommending restaurants and letting us know how to get where we were going (didn't have a car - walked or used public transit). Wine and cheese in the lobby was excellent. Wonderful experience and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple