“Excellent hotel with helpfull staff”

The Independent Hotel
Ranked #38 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at The Independent for three nights. It was exactly how I exspected it to be. Very friendly and helpful staff. You really notice that you are not in a hotel-bunker with 500 rooms but in a 24 room hotel with a much more private athmosphere.
They offer a breakfast that is delivered to your room at the time you want it. The variaty could be bigger but still I enjoyed having my coffee and cereals in bed before having my shower. :-)

The location itself is a trade-off. It is right down-town next to many theatres and bars/restaurants but also in the middle of the "Gayborhoud". If that doesn't bother you it is an excellent location. The rooms were very quiet, too.

Overall: I'd stay there again.

Reviewed 17 September 2011

I visited Philly for a cousins reunion. The others stayed at the Ritz Carlton but I found the nearby The Independent on tripadvisor and I think I did better pretty much all around -- certainly on price and location and arguably even the room, depending on what you like. I was on the fifth floor and had a quiet night's sleep. Some old reviews complained about noise from a club downstairs, but a new resaurant is under construction on the ground floor, so the club seems to be gone. The only problem, and it was a slight one, was that the water drained very slowly from the sink. This is a find.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Once again we listened to Trip Advisor. Once again we were pleased! What a great hotel. The pictures do not do it justice. The high ceilings, the full length windows looking out on the city, the staff, the wine - What at great experience! I have never met nicer people in phiadlephia. We went for a family member needing medical care. But guess what.... I am looking for an excuse to go back just for fun.. And, I am not a really big fan of Philadlephia.....Go..... You will be so happ and relaxed..... The latter will be easy when you use their double head shower - Wow. Also, it is very quiet in the rooms - almost as if you dissapear...

Room Tip: One night we stayed in a king room (3rd floor). Unexpectedly, we needed to check in for another nig...
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This hotel is such a gem in Philly. It is quaint and boutique but very high class and well maintained. The staff is warm and courteous. Great location as well.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The Good: We spent 3 nights at The Independent during our recent East Coast vacation. The hotel and rooms are beautiful; high ceilings, hardwood floors, indirect lighting, large widows. The staff was very responsive to our needs and very welcoming. Rooms were clean. The beds were very clean and comfortable (mattress and bedding). Wine and Cheese were available nightly (reds and whites; a good selection) which was a nice perk. The Continental Breakfast that is delivered to your room each morning is also a really nice touch; a cute basked that is filled with items based on the order card you leave outside your door each night. The hotel's location is great as well; very closed to public transportation and within a very easy walk to Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and the Reading Market. The neighborhood also has a really neat "vibe" to it; lots of energy and activity; We ran into a lot of students from the local colleges/universities in the neighborhood.

The Bad: Our assigned room was labeled as "out of service" when we arrived. After the Desk Clerk checked with the manager, we were given the room anyway (I think this should have been an omen). Traveling with two daughters (9 & 13), they immediately noted that the TV remote was missing. On our way out to dinner, we notified the front desk, and when we returned, a remote was in the room (nice recovery; well done!). While the beds were comfortable, one of them squeaked so bad that when I or my wife would roll over or move, the noise would wake the other as well as the children sleeping in the next bed! Upon investigation, it looked as if the bed had experienced some "heavy/improper use" and the supports and side rails were damaged, causing the noise. While this was not a deal breaker for us, it was annoying. Another issue was that the shower drained VERY slowly; after two minutes of use, you were standing in 4 inches for water. Again, not a deal breaker for us, but something I would not have expected. I also was a bit disappointed by the breakfast offerings. While you are given a card each evening, and you are able to order what you want, the quality and selection was not what I anticipated. Only one type of "pastry" was available (a blueberry muffin), and it was a prepackaged Otis Spunkmeyer muffin. Only one type of "dry cereal" was offered, and it was not kid-friendly (Special K). It missed the mark. It felt cheap and did not reflect the quality/service level that the rest of the hotel seemed to be targeting. Finally, on the morning we checked out, we notice for the first time that the room phone was not working. In fact, the phone was completely disconnected from the wall! We plugged it in and tried to locate the other connections, but to no avail. We had not needed the phone prior to then, and so it was not a big issue, but again, not what I would expect. I think the room was labeled as "out of service" for a reason, and we should have been given another room.

Overall, this is a great little hotel. We did enjoy our stay, and I think the issues we had with our room were unique to our room, and not exemplary of the entire hotel. I would recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a well located, boutique hotel in the City Center / Old Town area of Philadelphia. A tweak to the breakfast would be nice. And, if you do have issues at check in with your room being noted as "out of service", take my advice and ask for a different room!

Room Tip: Pay attention at check in; ask if you have concerns
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I researched this hotel, saw high ratings everywhere I looked and thought it was well worth the price, boy was I wrong. From the outside and the cute little lobby I was excited, it was in an excellent location. At first glance the room was great; the design, the style, cute, elegant. Then you get closer and find the furniture is broken, the comforter has visible threads pulled out of it, the lights weird to use if they work at all, exposed wiring, uncomfortable beds, etc. Then there was the bathroom, oh the bathroom. It's an older building so I wasn't expect modern elegance, but clean would have been nice. The view of the mangled construction site next door was really romantic too. In the end we stayed and were awaken all night by the 1920's plumbing that threatened to attack us while we slept.

Room Tip: I would have rather stayed in my car across the street for $25, RUN
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RoadTripChickie
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We (husband, toddler, and dog) stayed here September 3-5. We were in a corner room on the 5th floor and faced the street. The room had a very comfortable king bed and a refrigerator that seemed to freeze everything we put in it. We adjusted the temperature a couple of times, but we still ended up with frozen liquids. We figured it was our error, so we didn't say anything. The coffee we made in the room was horrible, but the coffee in the reception area was better. Also, there is a water filter machine, different teas, hot cocoa, and fruit offered 24/7.
We liked their idea of delivering a simple breakfast to your room. All they ask is that you hang your breakfast tag on the door handle before 10 pm. I hung ours by the given time, but it fell to the floor during the night and was not picked up. No matter because I took it downstairs in the morning and breakfast was delivered at our chosen time;)))
We loved the location. It was an easy stroll (about 4 blocks east) to Washington Square Park. Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell Center, and the National Constitution Center is about 2-3 blocks north of the park.
Now, for the annoyance. I am guessing we were woken up at 3 am by loud voices and car honkings because it was a Saturday night. The voices didn't bother me so much as the darn car honks. Sunday night was very quiet.
Otherwise, we like the hotel and will use it again in the future.

BTW, the hotel is not pet friendly, but the manager graciously allowed us to bring ours due to medical reasons.