“Surprise... a great place to say in downtown Philly”

The Independent Hotel
Ranked #39 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Philly who needs a cozy place to stay. I stayed in the city for a medical conference and was so pleased with the hotel if I go back I would stay here again rather than book into a large chain hotel. The staff are very accomodating and welcoming. The room spacious and well thought out. Quiet, peaceful, are good words to describe this hotel and just a short walk to Broad Street and theater district.

Room Tip: The fifth floor was quiet, curtains blocked out early am sunshine, not much of a view but its in the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 September 2011

I thoroughly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a nice place to stay in Central Philadelphia. Communal facilities are basic (e.g. no restaurant / bar) but replaced by thoughtful touches that make a stay here very memorable, I would hesitate to say better than a large hotel. I loved having breakfast in my room, allowing a slow start to the day instead of meeting early morning deadlines!
The rooms are huge and stylish, nothing budget about these at all... the absolute best thng however is the location, within walking distance of all attractions but literally surrounded by great eateries and bars. The roads outside were quite noisy on Friday and Saturday night, but no more than you would expect from a central location.
I would stay here again and definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I was there on business and level of service was good. Everything about the hotel speaks to its intimate character; you enter the hotel at ground level where an elevator takes you to the 2nd floor where one gets greeted by a friendly agent seated at a desk.

The check-in process is old school and quaint; they hand you a folio where you review the rate, and you sign for it. I sometimes miss this in recent check-ins at other hotels; there have been times I would get checked in, get a key to my room and off I would go… only to go through the frustrations of dealing with the front desk upon check out when the rates were wrong. Anyway, I was given a key, the instructions how to order complimentary breakfast, and the location of the business center on the 4th floor.

The room is dark even when you try to turn on all the lights. It wouldn’t have bothered me, but I was here on a business trip. It’s a minor inconvenience; I suppose if I was here on leisure my perception would have been very difference.

Overall my experience was good. I did take a walk around the neighborhood and there A LOT of exciting choices for restaurants; I wish I had the time to have checked out the rest of the city. If you like boutique hotels out of the ordinary, this hotel will fit that bill.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank yyasianguy
Reviewed 23 September 2011

My husband and I were booked originally for 5 days. Thanks to Hurricane Irene, we added three more. Where to begin? Staff was fantastic, friendly and always available to answer questions. The room was very clean, a good size and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast is a choice of granola bar or muffin, milk or juice, apple or orange, and yogurt; delivered to your door in the morning. Location was ideal and a car unnecessary as we could walk almost anywhere. Remember this hotel is downtown which means there is "action" on the street well into the night. Philadelphia is a beautiful city with much history and culture to discover. Fantastic trip all around.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We have a young family and this hotel perfectly suited our needs. The staff was friendly and welcoming whenever we came back to the hotel with candy for our daughter. We brought our two babies (2 m and 2 yrs) and stayed in a king room. We felt had plenty of room and had a great nights sleep. We were able to walk to most sites and had plenty of places to eat close by. We were very happy with our stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at The Independent for three nights. It was exactly how I exspected it to be. Very friendly and helpful staff. You really notice that you are not in a hotel-bunker with 500 rooms but in a 24 room hotel with a much more private athmosphere.
They offer a breakfast that is delivered to your room at the time you want it. The variaty could be bigger but still I enjoyed having my coffee and cereals in bed before having my shower. :-)

The location itself is a trade-off. It is right down-town next to many theatres and bars/restaurants but also in the middle of the "Gayborhoud". If that doesn't bother you it is an excellent location. The rooms were very quiet, too.

Overall: I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I visited Philly for a cousins reunion. The others stayed at the Ritz Carlton but I found the nearby The Independent on tripadvisor and I think I did better pretty much all around -- certainly on price and location and arguably even the room, depending on what you like. I was on the fifth floor and had a quiet night's sleep. Some old reviews complained about noise from a club downstairs, but a new resaurant is under construction on the ground floor, so the club seems to be gone. The only problem, and it was a slight one, was that the water drained very slowly from the sink. This is a find.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo