“Phillies greatest little secret”

The Independent Hotel
Ranked #37 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 27 March 2013

What a pleasure our stay was at The Independent Hotel. Based on user reviews, we decided to try out this hotel on our last trip to Philly. They didn't disappoint. This boutique hotel was great. The rooms were nicely appointed and comfortable. The location was terrific, within walking distance of city center, historic Philadelphia, and theaters. And best of all was the staff. Everyone was friendly and accommodating and made our stay wonderful. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank CTrousers
Colin H, Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Hi CTrousers,

I'm glad we were able to exceed your expectations! Come back and enjoy the nice weather this spring!

Happy Travels,

Reviewed 24 March 2013

I had no expectations as I was just in town for business. Upon my arrival, the staff was so warm and helpful. They continued to go above and beyond the whole weekend to make sure I was comfortable. I switched rooms and worried I left my phone charger in the first, but nope! They noticed when moving my bags and there it was in my new room. They are so accomodating and willing to help whenever possible. I would come back here just to have the pleasure of the staff again.

The perks:
- Complimentary breakfast delivered to your room each morning
- Free wine happy hours during the week (6-7)
- Beautiful, large rooms with comfy bedding
- Microwave, fridge, coffee in room
- DirecTV with lots of sports and movie channels
- Nicest staff ever!

Notes to improve your stay:
- Request an interior room if you're a light sleeper. It can be really loud out front on a weekend
- The building is old so the bathrooms have a bit of a draft - it can be a little cold getting out of the shower in the colder months

Overall, so impressed. My biggest complaint is that the elevator is really slow. If that's the worst I can say, it did alright. My official Philly hotel from now on!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank brookiebmore
Colin H, Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

We appreciate the great comments! I'm pleased to hear we have exceeded your expectations, and that you found our staff to be extremely helpful. I have shared this review with the entire Team.

We look forward to having you back soon, and I'm glad to hear we will be your #1 hotel in Philadelphia.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 21 March 2013

Everything was wonderfull at this hotel: the location (in the center of old Phili, good for walkings), the room (large, wooden floor, fancy furniture), astoning interior design including the lobby (impressive, showing a 4, maybe, meters hight modern picture with some important landmarks), the personnel (very attentionate, open, friendly). The plus: everyday at 5 there was "wine and cheese" offered by the hotel. Nicely atmosphere, good opportunity to make aquintance with the other travellers around a glass of wine or a coffee.

Room Tip: It-s worth trying it, at least once !
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DanaLuxembourg

On behalf of The Independent Hotel, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you had a chance to converse with other travelers during our wine & cheese hour. Recently we have improved upon this complimentary amenity by broadening our cheese selections through a local cheese farm in Pennsylvania Amish country! The combination of excellent local cheese selections and wines from around the world will hopefully provide an excellent atmosphere with us during your next stay as well. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences, we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

This hotel is just neat. The lobby is accessed via an elevator to the 2nd floor. It is small but the rooms are well thought out and the staff is exceptional. Anything we needed, they were going to get it for us. The little breakfast brought to the door is a lovely touch. It's a croissant, yogurt and fruit - but you don't have to search the neighborhood for something to eat.
The only drawback is the lack of a restaurant/lounge on site. There is a first rate restaurant a few doors down - but they only serve wine and fish.
I can't wait to go back - need an excuse!

Room Tip: Stay away from the street side if possible. Revelers on the street until 4:30 a.m.!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Colin H, Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

We appreciate the time you have taken to review our hotel. Glad you enjoyed the experience. We try to provide great service all around, including the complimentary breakfast delivered to your room! The Restaurant on our street level is under renovations and should be open soon. We'd love to be your next excuse to Philadelphia!

Reviewed 16 March 2013

This was a fabulous home base for our 3 night stay. The kids and I were able to walk to all our sights (with the exception of the Please Touch Museum). The breakfast was simple but adequate to get a quick start to the day.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank NikandET

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear you and your kids discovered Philadelphia and all it has to offer. We look forward to your return visit!

Colin

Reviewed 11 March 2013

I book one room with 2 queens deluxe bed for this hotel. The hotel is very convenient to the Thomas Jefferson hospital and the Greyhound Terminal bus stop. I stayed with 4 people and it was spacious enough for everyone. When we got there, I took the elevator to the 2nd floor and checked in with a gentleman at the desk. It was very simple and convenient check-in. Got our room key within less than 5 mins. The 2nd floor lobby was VERY nice with a fireplace and nice couch. I love the decoration and it feels very homey. I really appreciate the free water bottle and coffee service throughout the day. We are the type of people that need to drink lots of coffee so it helped that they had everything set up in the lobby so we can just get a cup to go. The room was pretty nice but I wish there was extra chairs to sit on since I don't like to sit on my bed until after i shower. But it was still pretty good. The people were really nice. I asked for extra blankets, sheets, and pillows at a very late hour and they were VERY accommodating to my needs.

My only complain was the shower since it looks very worn out and moldly but the toilet and sink were very clean. Since it was a one night stay, I didn't expect too much besides the basic of having a comfortable bed. The breakfast delivered to our room was pretty nice since we were tired of going outside to get food.

I would recommend going back to this hotel. Next time I will most likely book the same one.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Colin H, Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Dear CoffeeLover_99,

Thanks for taking the time to complete this review! I am glad you were able to take advantage of all our amenties at the hotel including the coffee :) I hope you were able to use the in-room Keurig coffee maker as well! I appreciate your feedback on the extra chair in the room. We will be more than happy to bring extra seating for your next stay. Thanks for bringing the shower issues to our attention. We have addressed this and are taking care of it.

I hope you're able to stay with us again soon, and thanks again for the review!

Happy Travels,
-Colin Huff

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Great location in Philadelphia! The rooms are spacious and beds are very comfortable. Would definitely stay here again and highly recommend this hotel. My daughters and I stayed in a room with two queen beds and had plenty of room. The coffee in the lobby was delicious. It was fresh every morning. Loved the security system..the hotel was quiet and staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear Cheryl G,

Thanks for being our guest and also for the review! I'm glad you and your daughters were able to enjoy your stay while visiting Philadelphia.

We will look forward to accomadating you and your family on your next trip to Philadelphia.

Thanks again,