“My new favorite Philadelphia hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Independent

The Independent
Ranked #28 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
washington dc
“My new favorite Philadelphia hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

From this point on I will always know exactly where to stay in Philadelphia. The Independent is perfectly located for attending concerts and other events in all the major venues in town. It is also an easy and pleasant walk to the city's rich historic sites. Best of all the staff is beyond gracious. They made my stay incredibly easy and pleasant. My third floor room was as pretty as it was immaculate.
I loved the breakfast basket. As just one example, can you imagine: a croissant that was actually GOOD in a complementary hotel breakfast?
Every element at this charming hotel is exceptionally well thought out. The result is perfect ease and comfort for the fortunate traveller.

Room Tip: My room was on the 3rd floor and even though it was on the street side, perfectly quiet.
Green Features: They give careful attention to environmental issues.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank elizapen
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Dear elizapen,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that we have become your top hotel of choice in Philadephia. Our staff takes great pride in their jobs, and making guests feel comfortable is where they thrive. I am also glad that you enjoyed our hand delivered breakfast and our perfect location for sight-seeing. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Emily Kuch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Pros: From Its Perfect Center City Location (walk to most anything), and the very friendly / helpful staff, oversized rooms, special touches like breakfast baseket and in room Kurig coffee/tea machine and not to mention complimentary city parking (with voucher) just 50 yards away...this hotel delivers tremendous value for your dollar.

Cons: A little noisy on level levels with the open lobby / building design plus the street below but hey your are in the heart of a major city after all, plus they give u ear plugs on your night stand if it really bother you ;) ; Some of the bedding (one pillow) and pillow case could use relpacing wiht stuffing coming out of it

Room Tip: Higer levels will keep you that much farther away from street level nose
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KPS92-5
Dear KPS92-5,

It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed all the details that make us stand out as a top-rated boutique hotel. I am also glad that you took advantage of our parking offer via TripAdvisor, and that you were satisfied with the overall value of your accommodations. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We were going to be in Philly and were able to score a Saturday night table at Vedge...(probably the best Vegan restaurant on the east coast). I did a search for hotels near it and came up with the Independent. I'm usually a solid Marriott guy, but it got good reviews so went for it and boy am I satisfied.

First, Vedge is just steps away. No dealing with trying to park in central Philly....a big plus. Second, this is a really nice hotel. The staff was great and, even though our room was right off reception, it was very quiet. (Our room was off the street with our window on a light shaft.) The room was nicely appointed and the king bed was so comfortable that my wife wants one just like it. Highly recommend it. ( recommend Vedge too.)

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rollingstonetoo
Dear Rollingstonetoo,

I am happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found your guest room to be quiet and comfortable. I agree with you that Vedge is fantastic, and we love being located across the street from such a nationally acclaimed restuarant. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed six nights during a convention in town.
Picked it after researching Trip Advisor and because of it's price and location.
I specifically seek boutique hotels to get away from the cookie cutter appearance and service of all the big name hotels. I was not let down.
Room was very big and comfortable - lots of drawers (many more than needed), comfy desk and pull-out sofa, nice bathroom, and very nice layout and appearance. The lighting in the room was a little dark, but that was fine with me. The shower stall, though, was a bit small for my likes. Very little room to move about. Also, the room was a little noisy - not much sound insulation from outside and from the hallway.
Location is excellent. A quick 5-10 minute walk to the Convention Center, and walking distance from practically all the sites in Philly. Philly is a very pedestrian city, and The Independent is well located to take advantage of this.
Service was very attentive. I had a few little nuances that were addressed appropriately and timely. It's nice to have the staff know your name. They frequently offered to bring things up to the room when I was ready to run down to get them. They offered to call a nearby restaurant for a dinner we asked to be delivered. Very attentive.
Breakfast is always an excellent plus. It's continental (muffin, Danish, cereal), but brought to your room at the requested time.
I was a little surprised to walk in on the first floor and find a small vestibule with a door to the adjoining restaurant under renovation, and an elevator. I had to walk out to make sure I was in the right place, and on entering again noticed the small sign stating the lobby was on the second floor. Not a problem, just a little unexpected.
Did not take advantage of the wine and cheese reception in the evening, but it was well attended.
I would be happy to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul M
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear Paul M,

I am very glad to hear that you had a great stay with us, and that you found our staff to be very attentive. Our front desk agents love their jobs, and they are dedicated to going above and beyond to make sure each guest's stay is going smoothly. I am also glad that you enjoyed the breakfast delivered to your door, the hotel's close proximity to the Convention Center, and comfort of your guest room. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Were it not for two incidents, I would give The Independent 4-stars but felt it necessary to document both, alerting future guests to the disappointing and unacceptable scenarios.

My husband and I attended an October wedding knowing only two other guests (our son and his fiancé) and consequently opted to stay at The Independent instead of the two official wedding hotels. The other boutique hotels recommended on TA (Morris House, Rittenhouse 1715 and Alexander Inn) were booked so after reading complimentary reviews and securing a good room rate, we chose The Independent.

Shortly after our check-in, our son asked if we’d received the “welcome” bag left for us by the bride’s sister and mother two day’s prior to our arrival - with a front desk employee. We had not so over the course of our 48-hour stay, we asked four different front desk employees about the missing welcome bag, personalized note and wedding weekend instructions we were suppose to have gotten.

All claimed ignorance but promised to “look into it.” On our second full day, we again asked a front desk employee (I will call him Mark) and were told that another front desk employee (I will call him James - whom we’d previously asked about the bag) had the bag in his possession prior to our arrival and was instructed to deliver it to us.

While informing us about “James”, “Mark” told us that “‘all” our bag had contained was food/snack, bottled water etc. – how could he know unless he’d opened and assessed the bag?! That, coupled with James' lie about knowledge of the bag was disconcerting to say the least.

No mention of the private note and instructions was made nor was the bag located despite at least two employees having custody of it in a very small hotel that can only house a maximum of 24 rooms' worth of guests.

Monday (November 11) marks a month since we checked out and we have yet to hear from the manager despite her promise to follow up on our situation – indicative of what she must feel is unworthy of further time and attention.

At checkout, she provided us with an unprompted discount but that in no way negates what we consider an unresolved and highly inappropriate breach. Trust and privacy are paramount in the hospitality business and to fall short is unacceptable. This hotel - one of seven in the Independent Group – should be run with a firmer hand.

The second but preventable cautionary tale: although the hotel offers free parking (special TA offer) contact the hotel before your arrival. Although convenient, access to the open air lot was blocked off the morning of a post-wedding brunch due to a street fair – something we were not warned or aware of until we headed out for the brunch. Consequently, we were forced to walk.

More important is that the lot was vacant (with the exception of our car which we’d bought only a month before!) and was being used for garbage disposal and as an open-air restroom for festival-goers. We caught one woman putting garbage on our car's hood and then relieving herself next to the car.

While The Independent employees are all extremely pleasant and willing to please, the breakfast delivered to your room each morning at your requested time and with foods you select from a menu, as avid travelers, we feel that trust, security and privacy are paramount to any hotel stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jazzbird925
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear JazzBird925,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than perfect. There was a gift bag delivered for you, but unfortunately we placed it into the wrong room and it took us some time to figure out what happened to the gift bag. When your husband and I had a lengthy discussion over our error, I did inform him of all of this and apologized for our mistake. When the conversation was complete, I was asked what I will do to compensate you for the mistake, and since I cannot get the gift bag back, I reduced the room rate to help make up for our error. Unfortunately there was nothing I could do at that point to get the gift bag back for you.

I am sorry that you felt this was a “highly inappropriate breach” of trust. I am also sorry that you feel the hotel “should be run with a firmer hand”. I do, however, strongly believe that a guest should never see any reprimand or personal discussion over an error that had been made by an associate. That is something that will always remain behind closed doors for the sake of the employee and for customer service purposes.

I am also sorry to hear that you had some difficulty due to the street fair. Since it is a downtown area and our parking relationships are with outside companies, we had no control over fair attendees being near your car or putting items on your car.

I am happy, however, to see that you found our employees pleasant and willing to please. I am also glad that you enjoyed our hand delivered breakfast. I am once again sorry for this issues that occurred during you stay and we hope that if you are in the area again, you choose to stay with us.

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed for 5 nights at The Independent for our first visit to Philadelphia. We chose it because of the TripAdvisor reviews, location, and the price for a boutique hotel. The location was absolutely great! An easy walk to most of the historical sights, to Terminal market, and as a starting point for a walking tour of the city. In addition to the great location, there were a good number of restaurants close to the hotel. Finding good food was never a problem. Our room was large, clean, a great king size bed, large modern bathroom, and was perfect for a 6 day stay, especially with the refrigerator and microwave. We appreciated the bottled water, coffee, and cookies in the lobby. On walking to the hotel one evening, we remembered they had a wine and cheese reception. We missed it by 20 min, but when we arrived at the lobby, the staff member said he still had part of a bottle and gladly poured a glass of wine for each of us. A real plus for us was the TripAdvisor coupon for free parking offered for dates that included our stay. The parking included in and out privileges,what a bonus. This boutique hotel rocks and we highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mchun96813
Dear mchun96813,

I am very pleased that you found all aspects of your stay of be "great"! I agree with you that the area we are in is very convenient and loaded with great restaurants. I am also glad that you were satisfied with your guest room and our staff for your six-night stay. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in Philadelphia multiple times in the past decade. This was the first time I have stayed at the Independant. It is lively neighborhood close to the convention center, Rittenhouse Square, Old Town, Society Hill, and the sights in Independance Park. There is a subway stop just outside. The hotel has a nightly wine and cheese reception, which I missed the first night and they kindly gave me a glass of wine when I checked in anyway. They have access to a local gym - including group fitness a godsend after a long day of meetings. Daily breakfast delivered to your room and free wifi. All around a fabulous experience - better than my experience at the Ritz or the Four Seasons. I am definetely staying her the next time I am in Philadelphia.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Mary A
Dear Mary A,

It's wonderful to hear that your stay with us exceeded your standards, and that we have become your hotel of choice in Philadelphia. We love offering our guests passes to 12th Street Gym, a multi-level property complete with free classes of all different experience levels. I am also glad you found our location convenient to many popular destinations in the city. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Philadelphia.