My stay was really disappointing. Everything was just a little run down (eg, broken tiles in the bathroom, frayed curtains) and the things that made it sound special like free breakfast and wine and cheese turned out to be mediocre. The free breakfast was basically packets of instant oatmeal or yoghurt brought to your room and the wine and cheese hour was cubes of bad supermarket cheddar.
Also do NOT stay here if you want to get work done. The room was super dark even with all of the lamps on. They had an old fashioned letter writing desk that was cute but highly impractical: you couldn't put a laptop on it and there was no room for papers.
Frankly I'm just really confused by the positive reviews that others gave. Whenever I travel I like to find boutique hotels to stay in: this is the first time I've ever been disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Independent is a 24-room boutique hotel located in a fully restored Georgian-Revival building located at 1234 Locust Street in the vibrant Midtown Village area of Center City, Philadelphia. Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, The Independent is ideal for tourists and business travelers looking for a grand feel in a boutique, personalized hotel experience. Our guests experience luxury accommodations in the heart of Philadelphia, and are able to walk to theaters, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Rittenhouse and other Philadelphia attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Independent reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Boutique Hotel Philadelphia