“Nice hotel in good location”

The Independent Hotel
Ranked #38 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was hesitant to book this hotel for my sister's wedding in Philly but was quite surprised (good way) with our stay here.

PROS:
We got a room with 2 queen beds. This is a spacious room considering we have 6 medium sized luggages in total. I was travelling with my 2 kids and husband and this was our last leg in our 3 week vacation. I was even able to do a workout video in between the beds!

The hard-wood flooring is a nice change from the carpeted floors of other hotels given that we were having bad allergies too.

Bathroom is extra large. (I think each room has a different layout) But ours was huge. Which again is very convenient for me since I have to give bath to my toddler.

Breakfast is good as well. You can choose to eat healthy (fruits, oatmeal).

Service is unbelievably nice. Check in/check out was a breeze as well as booking online.

Location is at Center City which is walking distance to a lot of good restaurants.

CONS:
Entrance is quite small and lobby is at the second floor.
I notice that the housekeeping doesn't really clean the bathroom that well (hair still on the drainage) after daily service.

Other than the CONS, I absolutely loved my stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear haydeego,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am thrilled to hear that your stay with us during your sister's wedding was outstanding, and that it exceeded your expectations. I am glad you found our rooms comfortable and spacious, and also that you found the service of our staff to be exceptional. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My stay was really disappointing. Everything was just a little run down (eg, broken tiles in the bathroom, frayed curtains) and the things that made it sound special like free breakfast and wine and cheese turned out to be mediocre. The free breakfast was basically packets of instant oatmeal or yoghurt brought to your room and the wine and cheese hour was cubes of bad supermarket cheddar.
Also do NOT stay here if you want to get work done. The room was super dark even with all of the lamps on. They had an old fashioned letter writing desk that was cute but highly impractical: you couldn't put a laptop on it and there was no room for papers.
Frankly I'm just really confused by the positive reviews that others gave. Whenever I travel I like to find boutique hotels to stay in: this is the first time I've ever been disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JKP2
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear JKP2,

I am very sorry to hear that your recent stay with us was not up to the standards that we uphold on a daily basis at The Independent. A large majority of our clientele are those staying in Philly for work related reasons, and I understand that your guest room needs to be as efficient for business as it is comfortable. If you choose to stay with us again, I believe we can show you what our boutique hotel is really about. Please feel free to contact me directly, as I'd be happy to help you with your reservation and making sure you have a well-lit, more practical guest room. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had stayed at a sister hotel In Washington D.C last year and enjoyed it so much we looked out this one for our stay in Philadelphia and we were not disappointed. All the reception staff were extremely helpful, nothing seemed too much trouble, Eric brought us breakfast each morning with a big smile and a cheery good morning, Ben arranged a great table for us at a restaurant we had decided to go to and Nick was great too. Our room was on the 3rd floor and we weren't bothered by noise, we only had a blind at the window which let light in, the bathroom was a good size although the shower itself was a little small. We enjoyed the drinks in the lobby at 6 each evening, a great way to get to know the other guests. Overall a great stay and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear GillS98,

I am very pleased to hear that your stay with us left a lasting impression, and that our front desk staff was able to comfortably assist you with all of your needs. Our wine and cheese reception is definitely a great way to meet other travelers who have chosen to stay with us, and I am so glad you were able to join us each evening for that. I am also glad to hear that you had the opportunity to stay at another Independent Collection hotel in Washington D.C., making you familiar with the service and comfort level that we hold at high value. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Just could not ask for better service! Stayed one night in a king room (405) and it was clean and quiet and the only thing I would have liked was a bigger shower. Only reason for not rating it "Excellent" is that the area is a little seedy and unloading/loading our car was tight. We would stay here again!

Room Tip: Room 405 is the only room on forth floor. It was QUIET.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear MoseleyPaddler,

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the service and guest room provided by our hotel so much that you were inspired to write this kind review. However, I am sorry to hear that you were slighly dissapointed with our neighborhood, and that you experienced some difficulty with unloading your luggage. Upon your next visit to The Independent, we would be happy to assist you with bringing your luggage in from the loading zone located in front of the hotel, and assuring that you will have room to temporarily park your car. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

The good- Large rooms, comfortable bed, convenient location, great staff, individualized attention, able to choose your own breakfast and it was delivered to your door at an appointed time, refrigerator in room, Keurig coffee machine, very clean and neat, bathroom with double shower head.
The interesting- Need to use elevator to get to main check in. It took us a minute to figure that out.
I would definitely stay at the Independent again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear patalm,

It's wonderful that you were able to enjoy all of the special amenities and attributes that distinguish us a boutique hotel, such as the breakfast delivery, double shower-heads, and personable front desk staff. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This hotel was absolutely delightful. We stayed for one night - to celebrate a birthday. When we got off the elevator and stepped into the lobby, Nick warmly greeted us and immediately made us feel welcome. Our room was warm and cozy with a very comfortable king-sized bed. It was a great location, and only a couple of blocks away from the Academy of Music, where we saw "Phantom of the Opera" (it was great!). Rodney was on duty that evening and was also very hospitable. The breakfast in the morning was simple and delivered to our room - right on time! - and very convenient. We met Eric when we checked out, and he had all of the answers to our questions and could not have been more helpful. We preferred this hotel to the other "chain" hotels and will definitely be back on our next trip to Philly!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SHELLEY V,

I am delighted to hear that you had a great experience with our boutique hotel for your birthday celebration. It's great that our staff made you feel completely at home, and I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks to them. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is a really nice hotel with an exceptionally friendly and accomodating staff. They have set things up to really put the guests' comfort front and center. The rooms were nice, the beds comfortable, and it doesn't have the cookie-cutter big city hotel feel or the falling apart boutique feel.

The location is a little loud and there are little things in the rooms that could be fixed up (crack in the paint, for example) but overall would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear MKChicago,

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found your experience with our boutique hotel to trump that of a larger, chain hotel. You are correct that comfort for our guests is our main focus, and I am pleased that we did not disappoint you in that regard. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.