The Independent Hotel
Alexander Inn(Philadelphia)
The Bellevue Hotel(Philadelphia)
  • Room Service
  • Pool
All reviewsbreakfast deliveredqueen lofthardwood floorscontinental breakfastlocust streetyogurtexposed brickgreen eggsgreat boutiqueeach morningstreet noisewithin walking distanceshower stallsmall hotellarge bathroomkimmel centercenter city
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here one night while on a business trip. The room was great - wood floors, old desk. Beautiful furniture. The only issue I had was how loud it was. I was here on a Thursday and could hear people yelling after being at a club. Also, I could easily hear the people in the room next to me. Aside from that, I enjoyed my stay. Their is a keurig in the room, coffee 24 hours a day, and even free breakfast they deliver to your door. You can get a pass to the local gym right down the road. I would stay here again for pleasure, if I didn't have to worry about waking up early for work.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Daniel V, Front Desk Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Smittie684,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

It's great that you enjoyed the layout and setup of your guest room, and also the amenities we offer our guests like complimentary breakfast delivery and passes to 12th Street Gym. However, I am sorry to hear that you had an issue with noise from the street. The compromise of being so centrally located sometimes means there are noisy passersby. Luckily, we are happy to accommodate our lighter-sleeping guests with quiet rooms on upper floors or away from Locust Street. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would be interested in booking one of these rooms. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The area is relatively convenient - I was working at the convention center and could walk there in the AM in 10 minutes or so (though I would never do it at night) and there are some good restaurants nearby (hellooo Garces Trading Co), but that's where the positives end.

There are a ton of night clubs right around the corner, and it is LOUD, cars honking and people shrieking under your windows from 9 PM through 4 AM. There is ZERO sound insulation. You will not be able to sleep. You can't even turn the bathroom fan on for some white noise because the fan is linked to the bathroom lights (which are impossible to turn on and off) so you'll be attempting to sleep in a brightly lit room with barely muffled screaming drunk people just outside.

My room key stopped working on three separate occasions, and they kept giving me excuses each time (the machine that makes them is old, the batteries might be dying, maybe you had it too close to your phone). Sorry, if that was the case one time then it would be ok, but after a long day on my feet I don't want to have to go up and down the elevator carrying all of my things just to get into my room on THREE separate nights. Not acceptable.

The rooms themselves are spacious and nicely appointed, I like the complimentary Keurig and the light breakfast, the shower was kind of small but the dual showerheads made up for it.. but overall this was way overpriced and not worth it at all. If you're traveling for business, meaning 90% of your time in the hotel will be spent sleeping, go elsewhere because you certainly won't be sleeping soundly here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ria M
Daniel V, Front Desk Supervisor at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Ria M,

While I am glad you did enjoy some aspects of our hotel, such as the great location and the spaciousness of your guest room, I am very upset to hear that you did not enjoy your time here. Regarding your issues with guest room keys, I will be passing your comments along to the front desk staff so we can make sure the keys are always properly made and not deactivating until check-out.

Making sure our guests get a good night's sleep is an utmost concern, and I am truly sorry that we weren't able to provide you with that. If you choose to stay with us again, please contact me directly to make your reservation and I will make sure you have one of our quietest rooms. I hope you will consider giving us another chance so we can show you what our boutique hotel is really about: comfort.

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel twice while visiting Philadelphia. The rooms are decorated well and in a unique manner. The bed is firm but still comfortable. The staff are very professional and friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Melissa D

Dear Melissa D,

Great to hear you have stayed with us more than once, and thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel. We hope to see you again real soon!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We share a two bed room this past winter with my wife and daughter The room was plenty of space and we can store the baggage without problems, and the beds are very good. The bathroom is spacions and clean. The only problem with the room was the noise, it was at the top floor and the cool weather put the heating machines full working and you can ear markedly its noise, but you can find some earplugs on the nightstands if you need (you must sleep quite well if you are properly tired after visiting by walk Philadelphia).

You need order the breakfast the night before, and it's served promptly in the room. You can select a lot of quite good products, and you can use the kettle at any time. Also you can enjoy wine and cheese in the evening in the first floor.

The reception staff was very friendly and efficient. I just think that the deposit of $20 for you to leave an umbrella is a bit pricey, but you get it instantly.

The location for visiting Philadelphia seems excellent and the neighborhood is quiet and nice. The city and the hotel deserve come back.

Room Tip: Tray to avoid the top floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Crean,

It's wonderful that you found your room to be spacious, comfortable, and clean. Our location is truly awesome, and I am happy that you agree! Also, I'm glad to hear you joined us for our wine & cheese reception. It's definitely a great way for guests to meet and unwind together. I am sorry to hear that you encountered an issue with noise from the heating system. Be assured I have looked into this issue so it won't happen again.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was hesitant to book this hotel for my sister's wedding in Philly but was quite surprised (good way) with our stay here.

PROS:
We got a room with 2 queen beds. This is a spacious room considering we have 6 medium sized luggages in total. I was travelling with my 2 kids and husband and this was our last leg in our 3 week vacation. I was even able to do a workout video in between the beds!

The hard-wood flooring is a nice change from the carpeted floors of other hotels given that we were having bad allergies too.

Bathroom is extra large. (I think each room has a different layout) But ours was huge. Which again is very convenient for me since I have to give bath to my toddler.

Breakfast is good as well. You can choose to eat healthy (fruits, oatmeal).

Service is unbelievably nice. Check in/check out was a breeze as well as booking online.

Location is at Center City which is walking distance to a lot of good restaurants.

CONS:
Entrance is quite small and lobby is at the second floor.
I notice that the housekeeping doesn't really clean the bathroom that well (hair still on the drainage) after daily service.

Other than the CONS, I absolutely loved my stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear haydeego,

I am thrilled to hear that your stay with us during your sister's wedding was outstanding, and that it exceeded your expectations. I am glad you found our rooms comfortable and spacious, and also that you found the service of our staff to be exceptional. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Emily Kuch