“Highly recommend staying here.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Independent

The Independent
Ranked #27 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
“Highly recommend staying here.”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Perfect location for such an incredible price. Beautiful room with hard wood floors. Love that your complimentary breakfast is delivered right to your door. Everyone was super friendly and accommodating. Went the extra mile of having free champagne waiting for us to celebrate my birthday. We will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014
Daniel V, Front Desk Supervisor at The Independent, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Vanessa S,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I'm so glad to hear that our staff made your birthday celebration in Philadelphia extra special! Our staff is known for going above and beyond to make sure guests are comfortable and attended to, and I know that they will appreciate your wonderful comments. Also, I'm glad you loved our hand-delivered breakfast and central location. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Philadelphia.

Front Desk Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bremen, Georgia, USA
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We booked this hotel months ago for graduation festivities at UPENN. The room set up (#303) worked fine for our mixed family grouping.

But overall the service was rather slack (could not get into the room until nearly 4 pm day of arrival) and the continental breakfast was, honestly, embarrassingly poor quality. The first day I tried to use the room coffee maker for morning coffee some sort of slime or mold came out of the water reservoir. I called it to the attention of the staff at the front desk who "made note" of the problem. I then grabbed coffee for our party from the morning set up in the lobby - and it also ran out of coffee twice.

The staff, honestly, seemed, overwhelmed with the volume of visitors that weekend. The elevator would often not return when the call button was pressed - and we found the back stairs more efficient.

For the price ($840 for 2 night, 4 adults) we agreed it needed to make significant improvement before we could heartily recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear snappytoes,

I am very sorry to hear about the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. Our front desk staff is frequently praised for being attentive and helpful, and I am disappointed that you weren't able to experience that during your time spent with us. If you choose to stay with us again, please feel free to contact me directly to book your reservation and I will make sure your stay lives up the standards we strive to maintain on a daily basis. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Philadelphia!

Regards,
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We found this gem on a booking site, and weren't quite sure what we'd find, since it is, as it says, an "independent" (in this case, very small chain) hotel. We were very pleased with what we found. The hotel is perfectly located for cultural and culinary tourism; it's a block from the Avenue of the Arts, perhaps 1 1/2 blocks from the Kimmel Center, perhaps 2-3 blocks from the Walnut Street theater district, and restaurants abound in the neighborhood. The stretch of 13th St. that the hotel (on Locust) adjoins is practically owned by Marcy Turney and Valeria Safran, with Little Nonna's (associated with the hotel, but a few doors down), Barbuzzo, Lolita, and Jamonera, among others.

To the hotel itself: It's unassuming from the outside--an awning with the hotel's name marks the entry, and the reception area (hardly a lobby) is on the second floor. The reception area is small, with a coffee area, a desk, and a small seating area with a TV. We were very warmly greeted by Nick, who walked us (literally) through what we needed to know--taking us downstairs to point out the best route to the parking lot (to avoid going around the block in this area of one-way streets to enter the lot), to demonstrating how guests needed to use the keys to access the upper levels of the hotel. And his Dodger hat won over my husband in an instant. The room was moderately sized, a bit dark (only one small window) but very well appointed, with a wonderfully comfortable queen-sized bed, desk and chair, dresser, ample close, and nook with microwave, refrigerator, and Keurig coffee maker. The bathroom was huge by central city standards, although equipped only with a shower.

While one of the other guests we encountered in the elevator complained of noise (amid what seemed otherwise a good impression of the hotel) we found our room, facing the back, delightfully quiet. The level of comfort, the attentiveness of the staff, the perfect location, pleased us immensely, and we'll certainly consider this when next we're in Philadelphia.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back rather than Locust St.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel V, Front Desk Supervisor at The Independent, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear LeslieOW,

I'm very pleased to hear that you had such a comfortable stay, and that you enjoyed our location which I agree is absolutely perfect! Nick is a valuable asset to our company, and I will be sure to pass along your comments to him. Come see us again soon!

Salisbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I chose this hotel due to its proximity to the Kimmel center. It's in a charming neighborhood, the parking is close, and the staff is attentive. The room was cramped, although the bathroom, with dual shower heads, was huge. I found it very quiet and liked the free continental breakfast delivered to the door. It's a boutique hotel, which means the rooms can be a little quirky. The wifi was excellent. I'd stay there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel V, Front Desk Supervisor at The Independent, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear BetweentheLakes,

I'm glad you found our neighborhood and hotel equally charming, and also that you received excellent service from our front desk staff. If you are visiting the Kimmel Center, being a block away is just about as good as it gets! Thank you for your feedback, and hopefully we will see you again in the near future.

New Jersey
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The Independent has a perfect location in the heart of Center City, with discounted parking close by. The room was a nice size, clean and tastefully decorated, and the beds were very comfortable. Our room was located to the back and no issue with noise-but when you stay in the heart of the city I think that you expect to hear some street noise!
A complimentary continental breakfast was delivered to the door and there was a keurig coffee maker in the room. Every member of staff was helpful and polite and the general feeling is far more personal than at a larger, big name hotel.
I would highly recommend staying at The Independent.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear NJredhead,

I agree with you that our hotel has a much more personal feel, all thanks to our amazing staff! Our front desk agents take pride in their jobs, and as residents of the city they enjoy helping guests get the most out of their time in Philadelphia. Thanks for your kind review, and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Philly.

Sincereley,
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here one night while on a business trip. The room was great - wood floors, old desk. Beautiful furniture. The only issue I had was how loud it was. I was here on a Thursday and could hear people yelling after being at a club. Also, I could easily hear the people in the room next to me. Aside from that, I enjoyed my stay. Their is a keurig in the room, coffee 24 hours a day, and even free breakfast they deliver to your door. You can get a pass to the local gym right down the road. I would stay here again for pleasure, if I didn't have to worry about waking up early for work.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Daniel V, Front Desk Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Smittie684,

It's great that you enjoyed the layout and setup of your guest room, and also the amenities we offer our guests like complimentary breakfast delivery and passes to 12th Street Gym. However, I am sorry to hear that you had an issue with noise from the street. The compromise of being so centrally located sometimes means there are noisy passersby. Luckily, we are happy to accommodate our lighter-sleeping guests with quiet rooms on upper floors or away from Locust Street. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would be interested in booking one of these rooms. Hope to see you again soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The area is relatively convenient - I was working at the convention center and could walk there in the AM in 10 minutes or so (though I would never do it at night) and there are some good restaurants nearby (hellooo Garces Trading Co), but that's where the positives end.

There are a ton of night clubs right around the corner, and it is LOUD, cars honking and people shrieking under your windows from 9 PM through 4 AM. There is ZERO sound insulation. You will not be able to sleep. You can't even turn the bathroom fan on for some white noise because the fan is linked to the bathroom lights (which are impossible to turn on and off) so you'll be attempting to sleep in a brightly lit room with barely muffled screaming drunk people just outside.

My room key stopped working on three separate occasions, and they kept giving me excuses each time (the machine that makes them is old, the batteries might be dying, maybe you had it too close to your phone). Sorry, if that was the case one time then it would be ok, but after a long day on my feet I don't want to have to go up and down the elevator carrying all of my things just to get into my room on THREE separate nights. Not acceptable.

The rooms themselves are spacious and nicely appointed, I like the complimentary Keurig and the light breakfast, the shower was kind of small but the dual showerheads made up for it.. but overall this was way overpriced and not worth it at all. If you're traveling for business, meaning 90% of your time in the hotel will be spent sleeping, go elsewhere because you certainly won't be sleeping soundly here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Ria M
Daniel V, Front Desk Supervisor at The Independent, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Ria M,

While I am glad you did enjoy some aspects of our hotel, such as the great location and the spaciousness of your guest room, I am very upset to hear that you did not enjoy your time here. Regarding your issues with guest room keys, I will be passing your comments along to the front desk staff so we can make sure the keys are always properly made and not deactivating until check-out.

Making sure our guests get a good night's sleep is an utmost concern, and I am truly sorry that we weren't able to provide you with that. If you choose to stay with us again, please contact me directly to make your reservation and I will make sure you have one of our quietest rooms. I hope you will consider giving us another chance so we can show you what our boutique hotel is really about: comfort.