Free cancellation until 27/07
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$235
US$178
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$204/night.

US$171
US$149
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$184/night.

Free cancellation until 28/07
US$232
US$162
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$196/night.

1,007 results
All reviewsbreakfast deliveredqueen lofthardwood floorscontinental breakfastlocust streetyogurtexposed brickgreat boutiqueeach morningstreet noisewithin walking distanceshower stallsmall hotelreception arealarge bathroomkimmel centercenter city
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Pro: The hotel is tastefully decorated just as advertised and the staff is very nice, helpful, accommodating and friendly. The room was spacious and the bathroom was unexpectedly large. Our room faces Locust and can be noisy on Saturday night. If you are a light sleeper, the hotel provided ear plugs on bed sides. Location was 10-15 min walk to the historical sites and 3 min away from the best restaurants in Philly. The neighborhood is also knows as Gayborhood, which means lively, liberal and fun. The hotel provides gym pass to 12th Street gym which is around the corner. I didn;t go so I can;t tell you the quality.

Con: Breakfast is very sad. You pick up from a list the night before and they deliver to your door at a specific time. It's just stale croissant, small yogurt, miniature carton of milk/cranberry juice. They don;t even give you a straw. Cereal tastes like cardboard, not even honey nut. Not a good way to start a day. You can always walk a block to get something else. But please do not advertise for complimentary breakfast even you don;t mean it.

Room Tip: Try a room not facing Locust if you don;t want the noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AdventureMom16
Daniel V, Front Desk Supervisor at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear AdventureMom16,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I totally agree with you about how lively and vibrant our neighborhood is; it's so great to be in the center of all the action! I'm glad you found our location convenient for exploring Old City and Midtown Village. However, I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with our complimentary breakfast. Your feedback has been noted and we are always looking for ways to improve the customer experience. I hope you will consider staying with us again the next time your travels bring you to the city of brotherly love.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights this past week. We thought the hotel was great overall. The place is in a really cool building. The hotel rooms have huge ceilings and windows overlooking the street. The neighborhood is really great - lots of restaurants and bars close by. It was within walking distance to Market Terminal and Independence Hall as well. The hotel was very clean. There were some areas of the room that had chipped paint. Most hotels use wallpaper so you don't normally see chipped paint, but the place was kept very clean (and it was nice not to see hideous wallpaper!). The room was very big - it included a desk and a small area that included a Keurig and small refrigerator. The bathroom was a good size as well. The hotel had a wine and cheese reception from 6-7 during the week. We stopped one night on our way out for dinner and it was good. The lobby area had tea, hot chocolate, coffee and water available 24 hours a day. It was convenient to grab something to go (they had paper cups and covers available as well). Our room was located on the second floor (lobby floor) and our room was located directly next to the front desk. My husband and I sleep pretty soundly so it didn't become a problem for us, but the walls were a little thin. I heard a baby crying at about 11:00 one night and overheard people talking, but once we fell asleep we had no issues. Sometimes people are outside talking quite loudly on the streets, but since my husband and I sleep heavily it wasn't an issue once we fell asleep. Our reservation was for a king sized bed, which we did not get. We overheard that the hotel was full so we just asked for a credit on our room - the hotel ended up just comping our parking (about $20 a day). The only other issue we had was that our toilet broke twice. It just wouldn't flush. I think a hinge was broken on the tank, but the hotel staff would come in and fix it in about 5 seconds. Not a big inconvenience but I did hate bothering the front desk about it. Thankfully we were two steps away from the front desk so we didn't have far to go. The front desk employees were all incredibly friendly. It's a small hotel so they seemed to work hard but they were always smiling and ready to help. The hotel includes a continental breakfast served to your room - either to eat in your room or prepared to go. We ordered oatmeal and a croissant each morning. It also came with a yogurt, choice of juice and choice of fruit. It was a nice way to wake up. You can select the time you'd like to get your breakfast which was very convenient. If we come to Philly again, we would definitely consider staying here again. It's location is great and the price was very reasonable!

Room Tip: We were on the lobby floor which probably has the most activity - request a room on a different floor. Also we had a room facing the street, if noise bothers you the other side might be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tigg189074
Daniel V, Front Desk Supervisor at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear tigg189074,

I am very appreciative of you taking the time to write such a detailed review of our hotel. As a boutique property, we focus on all the little details to make sure we are as close to perfection as possible. It's wonderful to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, and that they helped you have such a comfortable stay. It's also fantastic that you had enough time to take advantage of all the amenities we offer our guests, such as our wine & cheese reception and hand-delivered complimentary breakfast. I hope you will keep us in mind on your next trip to the Philadelphia area, and thank you again for you kind words.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This charming hotel is the place to stay if you are visiting Philadelphia's Gayborhood. It is perfectly located to all that the neighborhood has to offer. The hotel is charming and has a very historical feel. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The manager Dan, was especially kind and professional. Dan made sure that I had what I needed and gave me great recommendations for restaurants and things to do in the area. The room was comfortable and clean. Guests have full access to the 12th Street gym if a workout is what you want. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Daniel V, Front Desk Supervisor at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Ron P,

I agree with you that our location is fantastic, and I'm glad you had no problem navigating the area and enjoying Philadelphia's thriving 'Gayborhood'. It was an absolute pleasure meeting you, and I hope that you can come stay with us again soon. We'd love to have you back!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed in the Loft Suite and had an intimate Valentine's Day party. The hotel was very clean and unique. My daughter also had another room in the hotel that she agreed was also very nice. The staff was super and even offered to bring us extra chairs for our guests. I would recommend this hotel and will surely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Loft Suite is a great place to entertain
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear DazzlinD,

The Queen Loft Suite is a personal favorite of mine, and I'm so glad that you found it comfortable enough to have a nice get-together and entertain friends. I am also pleased that our staff was helpful in making sure you and your guests were accommodated with everything you needed to have a good time. Be sure to come back to Philly soon...Pottstown isn't too far at all!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Close to Independence Square and the Reading Station Market. We walked to both. Also walked a bit further to Pat's and Geno's Steaks from the hotel.

Rooms were great and clean.

Traffic noise noticeable at night (cars honking, sirens blaring).

Room Tip: We were in room 503 (top floor). It rained at night and window area leaked water across nice wood floors that were starting to show water damage (warping).
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Val Y
Daniel V, Front Desk Supervisor at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear erryberry76,

I am glad you were able to discover how many great attractions can be reached on-foot from our hotel. I'm also glad you tried Philly's famous sandwich, the cheese steak, from the legendary Pat's and Geno's. On your next trip, feel free to book with me directly and I will personally assign you to a room with less street noise. Happy travels!