Nice location. If you're driving, look for their stay and park free package, although parking across the street from the hotel is only $27, as opposed to the $40+ at the pricier hotels. You'll park down the street with the package, but they have a loading/unloading area directly in front of the hotel. I only wish the people who obviously weren't staying at the hotel would stay out of that zone. Just make sure you look at your receipt when you check out, they charged me for parking even though the receipt had my package listed (they took it right off, but I'm not in the habit of going over receipts).
During the week, they have wine and cheese in the lobby, which is nice, but there are so many great bars with happy hour in the area to try, I almost wish I didn't waste my time, having a glass of mediocre red.
It was a really nice touch to have the continental breakfast delivered, only wish they'd just knock and leave it at my door instead of knocking 'til I answered. Who wants to answer the door in your sleep attire - if you even wear any?! Went to the cafe down the street that was highly recommended by others, but wasn't hungry enough to get through even half of their enormous portions. Better idea would've been to take the short walk over to the Reading Terminal Market, and graze.
Quality L'Occitane toiletries, great shower.
My only complaint, and it's a pretty big one for me. Their atrium lobby carries and amplifies any conversations in the lobby. When I'm sightseeing, I like to take a late afternoon nap before heading out for the evening. It was impossible - it sounded like people were shouting right outside my door. The staff is so friendly, it was non-stop conversations! I'd recommend the staff only assign the rooms around the atrium when the hotel is full.
Overall, I'd definitely go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Independent is a 24-room boutique hotel located in a fully restored Georgian-Revival building located at 1234 Locust Street in the vibrant Midtown Village area of Center City, Philadelphia. Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, The Independent is ideal for tourists and business travelers looking for a grand feel in a boutique, personalized hotel experience. Our guests experience luxury accommodations in the heart of Philadelphia, and are able to walk to theaters, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Rittenhouse and other Philadelphia attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Independent reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Boutique Hotel Philadelphia