“WOW, very nice”

Ranked #35 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Gatineau, Canada
“WOW, very nice”
Reviewed 19 August 2009

First of all the service was wonderful. We were greeted with wine and cheese upon arrival. The room was huge, very modern, and super clean. Staff were very friendly, and gave us lots of info on where to go, eat , called taxis for you. You pick what you want for breakfast (continental) from a list and they bring it right to your door in the morning at the time that you choose. Room was also a great deal for the area. Would definately stay there again, and most likely will!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank klz23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We were there last week and it was our 1st time in Philadelphia. We were offered a glass of wine and cheese and we were informed of different tours of the city. The room was well decorated, a little small but with high ceiling so it was ok. The location was incredible. We walked the city and loved the Reading terminal market where i had the best cheesesteak! We took the subway to the Eagles game and it was very convenient!

UK
Reviewed 15 August 2009

I booked this hotel through expedia and must say got a very good deal. I did my research before booking it. Read several reviews and it is astonishing what people expect for their money. People who give bad reviews have either not much experience of hotels or are just plain moaney. We arrived at the hotel rather tired. Checked in and went straight to the room. Fell into the comfortable bed and slept for a few hours. Showered (excellent two headed) and went to the reception for our complimentary wine and cheese. I must admit I never had this in any hotel. Who ever orders the wine has excellent taste. Ryan is very friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable about Philly. Both my partner and I agree it is an excellent hotel which offers more for your money.

1 Thank journeyperson
East Windsor, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 August 2009

I will begin this review with the preface that I am a firm believer in the reviews provided by users here on Trip Advisor and have never had an issue previously. This is a very nice property and can understand why it is highly rated, but a number one ranking is very much overstated. We arrived at the hotel to learn that our room type reserved six months ago was not going to be honored. In addition, based on reviews on Trip Advisor, we requested a high floor, that was not honored either despite promises on the telephone just days prior to our arrival. We were initially given room 201 directly over the nightclub and were told if we had a problem they would switch us. After some back and forth with the sole employee on the property at the front desk, we were moved to room 304 on the south side of the building. In addition, the front desk clerk told us that a wedding party was occupying the 4th and 5th floors, and most of the 3rd floor. Also, our original room had a broken air conditioner. This was all told to us approximately an hour after check in. The could have actually told us the truth, which instead, was that when we checked in our room was already given away despite it being 3:30PM to a customer who was willing to pay more for the room.

The overall property is well maintained and the rooms are clean. As with any boutique hotel the rooms have a unique style. The rooms have satellite TV as well as what appears to be a VOIP telephone system. The bathroom was large and the shower had two showerheads. The room lacks proper lighting, but the lamps did look nice. The free breakfast menu is very limited, but the nice touch is they deliver it to your room in the morning.

The major problem with this property is the nightclub on the ground level. Upon our return to the hotel at midnight the music could be heard a block away. In our 3rd floor room the music was still audible and you could feel some of the vibrations. The people on the 2nd floor must have had a nightmare stay. Our stay was on a Saturday night, so perhaps that is why other reviewers did not notice this issue. So weekend guests beware.

The hotel made a good faith effort to rectify their shortcomings regarding the inability to honor a reservation by comping us the night. In the words of Jerry Seinfeld, “See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don’t know how to hold the reservation — and that’s really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.”

I do not think I would stay at this property again or recommend it to any Philadelphia visitors.

2 Thank Case1096
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 6 August 2009

The Independent is a great little hotel in the heart of Philly. I stayed there for almost a week in July and left impressed. The room and furnishings were tasteful. The bed was very comfortable, and the room itself, importantly for me, was quiet. I will definitely stay at this charming hotel again next time in town.

Note: If you like a quiet, large room, request the 4th floor room if it's available. It is the only room on that floor, sharing the floor with a computer/business room.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank NWTRNR
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I stayed at the Independent this past weekend for a girl's night out. The hotel was located in the center of everything downtown. The staff was friendly and helpful. Ryan was very helpful when I called the hotel before booking. He answered all of my questions and I was able to meet him in person when we stayed there. He was helpful, charming, and informative. When we checked in our room was extremely hot. Ryan came to our room right away to check on it. We thought it was fixed and left to walk over to South Street for some shopping and cheesesteaks. When we came back it was still hot. As soon as I called the front desk Gida (the evening staff member) immediately found us a new room. Had a new room not been available Gida would have sent a technician to the room right away. We know that there can be issues from time to time and it is how staff members deal with those issues that make the difference. The staff was great. The room was a bit dim but not too bad. The light controls have a dimmer switch so you can actually change the brightness if you choose. The size of the rooms were larger than what I expected of a boutique hotel. The beds were extremely comfy and the rooms were very stylish overall. We would defintely stay at the Independent Hotel again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wylisha
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 28 July 2009

My husband and I, our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter stayed in The Independent for two nights and were very pleased with our find. We had a great rate for our two rooms through Expedia ($135/night for king bed plus couch or two queens) that we thought couldn't be beaten elsewhere in the city. The staff were friendly and very helpful to us. At first I thought the location was a little dicey but our son (who had lived in Philly for a few years) assured it that it was nearly as good as it gets. It was very central and convenient. There is a parking lot half a block down the street with in and out privileges for hotel guests. We had a very quiet room, tucked into the back of the hotel but I could see that the rooms over the bar/restaurant on the ground floor might be noisy. I recommend that you ask for a quiet room if you need quiet. I used the business center and found it to be adequate. I would give the hotel top ratings except for a few minor quibbles: 1) The shower was very small and I didn't see any shower caps in the toiletries on the sink so it was hard to keep my hair dry. 2) The continental breakfast could/should have been better. It was all the kind of food that keeps infinitely long without refrigeration except for a few old-looking pieces of fruit.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family