“Beautiful, large room but not enough light”
Review of The Independent

The Independent
Ranked #30 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
California
“Beautiful, large room but not enough light”
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Our room was beautiful, the bed very comfortable and the shower amazing. I agree with everyone, the room is dark as is the bathroom. We had the room right above the nightclub, but luckily we always travel with earplugs so had no problem sleeping. The music was a consistant boom boom, so you could almost get used to it. We enjoyed our stay and was walking distance (for us) to all the sights.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 October 2009

We checked out the reviews on this site for this hotel, but were unable to find accommodations elsewhere in the city so we decided to try it out. Overall, the property is just ok, however with more attention to detail, it could be a very nice boutique hotel. The entrance to this hotel is a single door on the street, and reception is on the second floor (you get there via an elevator). Upon arrival to the second floor, we found the front desk person 'lounging' in his chair (behind a desk, not a counter), and didn't move until we asked him if we could check in. He turned out to be knowledgeable and helpful, however he had a hard time keeping his eyes off the television across the lobby during the check in process. Management might want to consider a little training to ensure the front desk personnel understand that they are the "face" of the hotel. We parked our car in an open lot, which was 1/2 block away -- a negoatiated rate of $15 for 24 hours. The room ("queen loft" on the 3rd floor) was very large. On the first floor, there was a large table at which several people could have a meal, along with a very small kitchen area, with a small microwave and mini-fridge, a powder room, and a living area with a flat screen TV and small fireplace. The second floor loft had a queen sized bed, large chest of drawers, and a bathroom (no tub, though, just a shower). Consistent with other reviews written about this hotel, it had an odd and somewhat quirky air atmosphere about it. The furniture was slightly low-end (for example, a tiger-striped rug, glass-topped tables, a fur throw-pillow on the bed, and some of the lighting was the old-style florescent). It only had one table next to the bed. The second floor bathroom needs a good scrub down, although for our one night stay it was acceptable. The breakfast that is included in the price consists mainly of packaged cereals, and non-chilled bottled juices. It's delivered in a basket that is left outside your door at the time you request. Coffee and other items are only served in the lobby. The room rate was $199/night, which we thought was a fair price considering it's in the city, and for reasons mentioned above. I don't highly recommend this hotel, however if nothing else was available in Philly, you could do worse!

London
Reviewed 22 October 2009

First impressions of this hotel were not that good & it didn't really get a lot better. Single door from street, nobody to help with luggage, elevator to 2nd floor reception which was obviously designed to look as different as possible from a chain hotel. We were given room 304 at the rear which I immediately wanted to change because it had such a small window & therefore little natural light. I must echo another review - the furniture was much too large for the modestly-sized room. A very tall chest with far too many drawers for most 2-3 day guests stood close to the bed which had protruding legs which I kept banging my shins on. No bedside table on one side - a very poor omission made necessary by the ridiculous furniture & layout of the room. The bathroom was big but with a small cubicle shower & no bath. Although the sanitaryware was clean the bathroom skirtings were heavy with dust & dirt. Though close to the centre the area had its share of odd characters & felt a bit unsafe at night.

1 Thank traveldudelondon
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Stayed here on my first trip to Philly and was not disappointed. Staff were VERY helpful and, in fact, emailed me as soon as I made my online reservation to ask if I needed help with restaurants, parking, or anything.

Got great recommendations for food, down to which places were walkable or which were "bring your own wine." (I recommend highly Alma de Cuba - great menu & within walking distance).

Romance package was nice, though I was a bit disappointed in the cheese (the squares of cheese reminded me of a college fraternity mixer). Good wine, chocolate, and presentation overall.

Price was very reasonable, and we were within walking distance of theaters, as well as the Liberty Bell / Independence Hall complex. Short drive to Geno's cheesesteaks (Pat's, too, though I don't know why you'd want to go there!).

Parking at a nearby lot at a reduced daily rate provided in/out privileges.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveling_fr0m_TX
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 October 2009

My room was right behind the reception desk on the second floor and, unbeknownst to me, right above a bar/disco. I was happily ensconced in my bed, flipping through the HD DirecTV channels, when it started. The BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM of really, really loud music. At first I thought it was a car stereo blaring at the stoplight. When it went on and on, I figured out what was happening. Not only was the music unbelievably annoying, but at several different times during the night, there were drunk, screaming people under my window, a few of which sounded like they were in a fistfight. I don't think I slept more than 30 minutes all night. Even though I had reservations to stay another night, I got up at 7 a.m., packed my bag, and checked out. To the hotel's credit, the man at the front desk was very nice and offered to speak to Expedia to help me get a refund.

Other than that--other than the room being basically uninhabitable if you're interested in sleep--it was nice. High ceilings, nice furnishings, free continental breakfast delivered to your room (I left before mine arrived, so I have no comment on the quality of the food). It's a handy location if you're exploring the historic district, but when you book, ask for a room the highest floor. Maybe it's quieter up there.

Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank beautyadornsvirtue
Seattle
Reviewed 14 October 2009

Pros:
-the interior design of the room as well as the hotel itself was aesthetically pleasing
-the comp breakfast delivered to your room was a nice touch
- the mattress and bedding was AMAZING
-the staff was courteous

Cons:
-the furniture was too large for the room. Shins hit the bed frame several times while squeezing between the dresser and bed.
-nowhere to hang a towel next to the shower. the one hook was taken by the complimentary robe.
- INCESSANT BUZZING UNDER THE FLOOR NEAR THE BED. We had room 207 and there was some kind of machine just beneath us that buzzed and vibrated the floor the entirety of our stay... it would buzz for about 3 minutes and then for 30 seconds it would stop, then buzz again for three minutes and stop for 30 seconds. if the buzzing were a consistent thing then we might have gotten used to it but the 30 seconds of silence really made it very infuriating. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the buzzing was so loud that it was like having a third entity in the room. Terrible.
-whoever delivered the breakfast basket was wearing WAY too much cologne which resulted in our room smelling very strongly like a guy we don't know.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julenisse
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2009

The Independent is a boutique hotel on the edge of the fashionable Walnut/Chestnut shopping and restaurant neighbourhood. It has quite a European feel, with entry from a street-level lobby and up one floor by elevator to a reception area designed to give a domestic feel. It clearly runs on a skeleton staff but the people we met were all friendly and efficient. Our room was clean, but the control system was not particularly intuitive - it operates off a touch-screen on the phone console - and we found it hard to get adequate lighting. The internal wi-fi worked smoothly, but the small writing desk would not be adequate for anyone trying to do serious business on a laptop. The bed was unnervingly high off the floor - well out of draughts but my risk analysis suggested a prospect of serious injury if I rolled too far in the night. Although there were two overhead lights, there was only one bedside cabinet so my wife had nowhere to put her book, glasses, etc. when she wanted to sleep. This is not selfishness on my part - we have discovered over many years that we both sleep better if we stick with the same side of the bed as we use at home! The bathroom had room for a small party, although there was only a shower cubicle. The suspended ceiling had some odd holes in it at one end. However, it also conformed to the Sherriff''s theory of bathrooms which is that they are rarely designed to suit men's requirements for shaving because of sexism in architects' practices. I have this notion that the boys get to do all the big stuff like lobbies and elevators, while the girls are lumbered with bathrooms. As a result, they put mirrors on the far side of wide worktops, which give them plenty of space to spread out make-up and judge its overall effects but which are totally useless for men who need to get up close to the mirror to judge whether their shaving has missed any significant areas....2/10 on "can I shave in this bathroom? The complimentary continental breakfast is ordered the night before and delivered to the room. The quality is OK, except maybe for the oversweet blueberry muffins, but there was a fundamental problem in that, despite this being sold as a double room, it only had one chair and no table. If you are sharing with someone, do you really want to have to eat in relays? Although the room was on a street with some busy nightlife, noise was not a problem. However, clients of a more sensitive disposition than my wife and I might be slightly taken aback by the pronounced gayness of the neighbourhood. We both happen to work in fields where we are accustomed to human diversity, but people who have led more sheltered lives might find this disturbing. The hotel claims to cater for people with independent minds, which seems to be code for "we are gay-friendly". Certainly, this does not mean that they are "straight-hostile", but I would not recommend the hotel to those of a particularly conservative disposition in such matters.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple