“Hotel is lovely, but the neighborhood is a bit scary at night.”
Review of The Independent

The Independent
Ranked #35 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Eugene, Oregon
“Hotel is lovely, but the neighborhood is a bit scary at night.”
Reviewed 19 February 2010

This was my first trip to Philadelphia and I was pretty excited. My wife and I had just spent more than a week in Washington, D.C., and when I told her that The Independent had a particulalrly high rating on TripAdvisor, she was excited to check it out. Even the hotel's Web site, with it's "detective mystery" theme music was pretty cool to us.

After spending the day at Hershey's Chocolate World, we pulled into Philadelphia around 9 p.m., so it was already dark. At first, as we were driving our way through the city, I thought... man, these neighborhoods are pretty run down and somewhat sketchy. Certainly The Independent is in a nicer neighborhood?

Well, not really. I mean, it might be a nice neighborhood for Philadelphia, but it kind of gave my wife and I the creeps. We're both native Oregonians, but we've both traveled extensively to cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Seattle, D.C., New York, etc., and honestly, I debated even getting out of the car. Most big cities I've been to, when you pull up to a nice hotel in the early evening, you'll see people walking to restaurants, clubs, chatting with friends, etc. (aka The normal "hustle-and-bustle" of a big city).

And we DID see people doing this... but right below The Independent was a large number of people who were just... there. They didn't appear to be doing any of the above activities... they were just hanging around. It was unsettling, to say the least.

We basically did a "on the count of three!" move and grabbed our bags as fast as we could, locked the car... and made our way up to the second floor lobby of The Independent.

Maybe we were paranoid, I don't know. I've stayed all over and have never felt that way before. Just be aware of your surroundings, and you'll be fine. When we checked out, we had to leave around 4:30 a.m. to catch a plane... and there was STILL a mass gathering of people outside... just hanging out. Maybe that's normal for Philly. I have no idea.

Now for the review of the hotel. This place is quite charming and nice. Here are the details I saw during our three-night stay.

PROS:

* The elevators must be activated by a key. If you are not staying at the hotel, you can go up to the lobby and down to the first floor elevator alcove... and that's it. To go anywhere else, you must insert your room key, wait for the little "chirp" and then push a button to one of the other floors. I appreciate that kind of security.

* The outside of all the rooms have a lit panel that can be set to "Do Not Disturb" or "Maid Service Requested." You push a button next to the door inside the room to activate it. Quite nice.

* The rooms are very nice, with comfy beds, firm pillows, a microwave and refrigerator. Our room also had a 32-inch flat-screen TV with a DirecTV satellite box, which I believe is standard in the hotel (It wasn't working when I came in, but after I called the front desk, they sent someone up to fix it. It took him a while and a few remarks of "WTF?"... but he finally got it working after leaving, and then coming back a couple of times and resetting the box. Who knows what was going on with it, but it was all fixed within an hour.).

* The bathroom was fairly large with a decent-sized sink area, heavenly dual showerheads and a scale (probably so you can figure out how much you've gained after eating a few of those delicious Philly cheesesteaks!).

* Breakfast is quite good and rather unique. Each day, you are given a paper doorknob hanger that lists all the items you can request for breakfast. You get to pick one item per category, per guest. These included:

** Beverage - Orange Juice or Apple Juice
** Fruit - Banana or Apple
** Oatmeal, Special K. Cereal or Nature Valley granola bar
** Blueberry Muffin or Yogurt

* On the fourth floor, there is a business center with two computers. Printing is free (there's also a soda vending machine in there too). I used this twice: Once to print off a coupon I found online for a local restaurant, and then later to print my boarding pass for our flight home. This was a great amenity.

* Parking is pretty simple. It's located at the E-Z Park at 1309 Locust. You tell them you're staying at The Independent, and the pre-pay for your stay (I was staying for three nights... the guy tried to charge me for four at first, but I said, "Nope... just three." ) You get 24/7 "in and out" privileges, which is nice. Before I left the parking lot, the attendant told me "Don't leave the good stuff in the car" (Not that I would, but I take it that cars have been broken into frequently). I made sure to clean it out and my car was fine. One thing to remember: During the day, they double park the cars so they can fit more vehicles in the lot; they assured me that whenever a car is blocking others, they hold onto the keys so they can move it. If your car is against the wall, you keep the keys. That said, my vehicle was never double parked whenever I needed it or when we passed by the lot.

CONS:

* The neighborhood. Like I said above, this might be pretty good for Philly... I have no idea (I'm sure there are much worse neighborhoods, but can this really be one of the best?!?!). It left me feeling unsettled and not wanting to go out after dark (a week before, I walked around my hotel room in D.C. at 1 a.m. and felt very safe. I wouldn't go outside of this hotel after 9 p.m. for anything). Some reviewers might thing I'm crazy, but I'm just being honest. Like I said, I've traveled all over the place and I've never felt that unsafe somewhere so early in the evening.

* There is a nightclub close by that might disturb some people. We were on the third floor and I could only feel slight vibrations; nothing that would prevent me from falling asleep, though.

* The air-conditioning unit in our room never seemed to cool it down sufficiently, even after I put it on the lowest temperature. It was a bit stuffy at times, but not terrible.

* I placed several items in the refrigerator, including several cans of soda. After a few hours, NOTHING was cold (it was, at best, slightly above room temperature). I tried defrosting the fridge and chiseling out a ton of packed ice inside by the vent... and it got better... but the fridge never got really cold. Truly disappointing.

* The morning after our first night, I got up to get something and the supports of the bed cracked, causing my wife's side of the bed to fall downward. The mattress was left at an angle. I talked to the front desk and they sent up some repair guys to fix it. They didn't seem surprised, as one of the wooden supports under the mattress had cracked. They left the room to get some extra tools, came back, lifted the mattress off the bed and did some drilling and nailing. Everything was back to normal in about 20 minutes.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel. I'm not sure I'd recommend Philadelphia, though, at least not at night. We had a good time, and this hotel is close to all the things you'll want to do (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, etc), but it just felt like a different place at night.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Josh A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
solana beach
Reviewed 18 February 2010

I arrived at the Independent Hotel in downtown Philadelphia in evening. The street entrance is discreet with an elevator taking you to lobby. There is an employee waiting there to quickly take you through your registration with a waiting area (fireplace, flatscreen tv, coffee bar) and then onto the room. I stayed in room 503 which is on the top floor, corner room with hardwood floors, high ceilings (20 feet) and two large queen beds. Extra bedding was in closet and a deck with computer cord. Bathroom was large with double head shower. Small mini fridge with coffee maker. All in All, very very nice and warm and toasty. Keep in mind this was the storm of the century outside. The staff was attentive and gave us great walking tour tips, even mapping it out for us. There is a computer room which was handing for pre boarding on our flight back. I loved this hotel.
The area is walkingn distance to everything. And we walked at least five hours a day seeing the Old City, South Street, Rittenhouse Square, Reading Terminal...Took the subway to Wachovia Center for Nova games (10 min ride) which was only one block to Broad Street.

If you are planning a trip to Philly and don't want to spend tons of money but still want a cool experience, THIS IS YOUR HOTEL.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
new york city
Reviewed 16 February 2010

The Independent has a great location, especially for a walking city like Philadelphia....the staff is incredibly nice and helpful. The rooms look great when you walk in...beautiful furniture, plush bed, a nice large bathroom, lots of trendy frills (like a telephone that controls the lights in the room). Soon, however, the initial response changes---The layouts are awkward...the chair at the desk--the only one---has its back to the TV....You have to watch TV in bed or move the chair. The most salient "offense" is the free breakfast...it comes to your room in a basket but everything is prepackaged---a cellophaned muffin that could outlast a nuclear attack OR one (yes, one) small granola bar....mini boxes of orange juice, cereal in a box, etc....what a let-down.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank aaw926
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 February 2010

I prefer not to stay at a chain hotel if a local hotel is price competitive, good location and is a quality stay. The Independent delivers on all the requirements. We had a rather large group, all loved the place and said they would return; pretty hard to accomplish.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Metro DC area
Reviewed 31 January 2010

This is exactly what I hoped for - a real European hotel in the heart of Philadelphia. The room are exquisite and unique, the extra amenities (toiletries, ipod stand, scale (!!), etc) are upscale, abundant and thoughtful- the staff is friendly, knowledgeable and unfailingly helpful, the location is superb! I picked it off the internet and feel like we've found a real treasure. An extra bonus - the website music associated with the site is pretty cool - I didn't even turn it off (but the off button was easy to find). If my boy gets into school in Philly (fingers crossed!! - AND that he chooses them back) I will be happy to come ANY parents weekend as long as I can stay here!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
boston
Reviewed 28 January 2010

I stayed at this lovely hotel in early January and was pleasantly surprised by all aspects of my stay. Upon arrival you take the elevator to the lobby on the 2nd level. Two staff members were there to check me in and were so friendly and helpful. My room was on the 3rd floor near the elevator and I didn't have any problems with noise (as other reviewers have mentioned). I never heard the elevator chime or sounds from the street or the bar. Room was spacious, with a large comfortable bed, great TV, a shower with a double shower-head and excellent water pressure. And it was exceptionally clean! Not a spec of dirt or dust anywhere! The only downside was the lighting in the bathroom, which would intermittently dim up and down all on it's own, but was easy enough to fix after I spoke with the management. The staff were great, giving me directions for walking to South Street shops and to a great tapas restaurant for dinner. I like the decor, which was a mix of contemporary and classic, a mix of old and new just like the city itself. The wine and cheese reception was lovely and the delivered breakfast was nice (oatmeal, yogurt, fruit and juice, a perfect breakfast for me). Overall, I loved my stay and plan to return to this hotel on all my travels back to Philadelphia.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 26 January 2010

If you like a lovely room, small, thoughtful touches, and a great location, this hotel is for you. We spent a night there this weekend and were delighted. It was quite, easy to come and go, and the breakfast delivered to our door was just great. An easy walk to the Academy of Music, Walnut Theatre, Kimmel Center and more. My only addition would be an extra towel rack in our bathroom.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple