“Lovely but ads misleading and missed a few things like cleaning the room”
Review of The Independent

The Independent
Ranked #33 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
New Haven, Connecticut
“Lovely but ads misleading and missed a few things like cleaning the room”
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Lovely hotel ... room was a townhouse suite which had all we could have asked for ... however, it states "european continental breakfast". Its Euorpean only if you consider cold cereal "European". Served in your room ... arrived prompt but not served as stated in the hotel main area. Our biggest disappointment was coming back from shopping the first day at 4 and finding the room not made up or cleaned. Called the desk to be told "they would have someone up". No one came and when we went to dinner went to the desk again and was told "I will personally change the towels" and we had to ask to have trash emptied. Beds not made, room not cleaned .. but had clean towels. The room was never cleaned prior to 4 or 5 pm on a daily basis ... that is upsetting if you want to shower, etc., prior to going out to dinner. They really missed the boat there. Between the awful cold cereal and lousy coffee (which you had to make in your room) ... I'd only give them, at besst, 2 stars. Beware.

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank duchess522
IndependentHotel, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, 3 February 2011
Thank you for choosing the The Independent on your recent visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Philadelphia.

I had a chance to review your post that you completed. I was concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs, and I was disappointed to hear about the problems you encountered. I apologize that housekeeping didn't make it to your room at an earlier time during your stay. The Independent truly is a home away from home as many guests have reviewed and posted, we do our best to reach all rooms in a timely manner. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it. Thank you also for your input regarding our breakfast style - after opening the hotel we did start with a "European Style" which after listening to our guests we went to a more personalized service delivered to their room. We are looking into any advertising that may reflect this older style as it can be misleading, so I do apologize for that.

Thank you again for your feedback. We truly appreciate knowing that our guest’s have been well served so we can celebrate our success and work towards even better service in the future. We look forward to your return when you are in the area again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bergamo, Italy
Reviewed 10 September 2010

We spent two nights there. The room was very big, beautiful and with all amenities of a 5 stars hotel (bathrobes are provided) but some details needs to be improved like housekeeping (dust under the bed and on the floor, carpet not properly vacuumed). Breakfast in room service only (complimentary) but there was no table to lay on.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mauro_and_Lory
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 8 September 2010

This hotel is fabulous for the $$. The room was spacious and clean, the bathroom great, the service attentive, and the location was perfect; the business center was convenient and complimentary. Breakfast included and delivered to our room was something we have never experienced in the US. The only drawback was the nightclub located on the street level - the bass beat continued until after 2 a.m. and actually impacted our bed. If you plan to stay here, ask for a room on the 5th floor, as that is the top of the hotel; maybe the impact will be less. Otherwise, bring high-level ear plugs, maybe that would help. We'll stay here again for sure.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Newburgh, New York
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I happen to stumble upon this place from one of the app on my iPhone. The place is phenomenal with a 2nd floor lobby and check in. The staff is very friendly and informative about the city. The room I had was on the 5th floor that wrapped around the building allowing views from both sides. The area of bustling with
Restaurants and shops. The interesting thing is that I was given the same price as the ad on my iPhone. Then there was parking in a lot down the block This was great. I would definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2010
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I had the chance to stay at the Independent .. and what a wonderful hotel...
the staff was friendly and helpful... the room was sharp.. modern and extremely clean..
and we just loved our morning breakfast.. location was perfect to walk to everything the city had to offer... as well as the up and coming new cafes of midtown village..
I would completely recommend this hotel..

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Grand Cayman
Reviewed 14 August 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights in the dead of winter and loved it. We felt as though we had the whole Inn to ourselves. Free wine as you sit by the fire each evening was great. We'd definitely stay again especially since it was walking distance to pretty much everything. Center City is a cultural center and that is where it is.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Over the course of two months I have stayed at the Independent 4 times for business. I hate writing this review, simply because I am afraid how popular this hotel may become leaving no room for me when I return. It has to be one of the best places I've ever stayed. I have stayed on the 2nd, 3rd and 5th floor, all with different floor plans and each has its own charming features. From rooms with great views, to the loft suite, to rooms with brick walled bathrooms this hotel is beautifully designed/decorated has direct tv, ipod docking stations and lighting, room service etc controllable by the telephone, large beds, plenty of towels and is emmaculately clean. Has anyone mentioned the (free)wine and cheese receptions that occur most evenings through out the week so you can come out of your room for a bit or meet your fellow hotel guests?

Other posts have commented on its prime location. But it's the service of this hotel that I adore. The team has gone above and beyond to make my stay enjoyable, from their spot on recommendations for dinner and precise directions to the manner in which they quickly address issues, this staff really is motivated to making your stay as easy as possible.This hotel is great if you are indeed an Independent traveler. If you need constant services and catering to, stay at a chain hotel, this is NOT what this hotel is made for. But if you are looking for charm, comfort and high end ammenties then walk don't run to the Independent.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business