“drove right by”

The Gables Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I booked a room here for one night and as I was driving towards it, I noticed the neighborhood was extremely run down, homes were not taken care of and people were just "hanging" around on the streets doing nothing. I was hoping as I got closer, things would change and it would get better. It didn't. I felt very unsafe and it was straight up ghetto. It might be nice inside, but I felt so unsafe, I drove right by and called to cancel my stay and of course they still charged me $150.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank lolo c
TheGablesbb, Owner at The Gables Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Good afternoon, Sir

My name is Cesar Gonzales and I am the new owner of The Gables. We took over last October 2016. We are sorry that you felt unsafe staying at The Gables. A lot has changed since you visited. We hope that you will give us another try. Please read the reviews since we took over and you will find that our guests felt safe staying with us.

Regards

Reviewed 22 July 2012

I choose the Garden Room at The Gables for the location and price. Both of those aspects were fine. It was a 15 minute walk from Training for Change where I was doing a week-long conference. I had a rocky first night. The house is huge and gorgeously renovated. But the young woman who checked me in seemed surprised to see me and uncomfortable with my arrival. We had an awkward interaction that mostly consisted of her staring at me. She was unable to answer basic questions about the house, beyond the year it was built. The house has only window units in the bedroom and it was very warm in the hallways and common areas. It was in the 90s my entire visit. Despite the fact that the they knew my arrival time within two hours, the A/C hadn't been turned on and it was broiling in there.

The tv is tiny, set in the wardrobe and fairly old. That wasn't a problem for me, because I brought my laptop for entertainment and the free wifi worked very well. However, I had a rough first night on a painfully hard bed. I spoke with the owner in the morning about it, and while he was unable to move me to another room he added a mattress pad to the bed. With a couple of blankets on top of the mattress, it was bearable for the rest of my trip. He checked with me my second morning to see if it was okay, which I really appreciated.

My room was pleasantly decorated, larger than I expected and had lots of diffused light. The decor was Victorian but came to the edge of being fussy without actually toppling over. There were lace curtains, for example, rather than heavy drapes. And only 3 vases of dried/fake flowers. The blinds did not come all the way down the window so it doesn't get very dark in the room. The light in the morning would be very romantic, although it was mostly just irritating for me. I didn't have any problems with noise, but the door did have an inch gap at the bottom. The curtains where hung around the air conditioner with large safety pins, which didn't really match the rest of the lovely decoration.

The breakfast was a buffet during the week, with a plated option on the weekend. There was usually ham or sausage, a sweet baked dish, a sweet pastry, fruit, bread (alternately sweet and not), a savory baked dish, plain yogurt, and cold cereal. I think there were also hardboiled eggs one morning. It was all fine, if a bit on the sweet side. They did not ask if I had any dietary restrictions either when I made the reservations or when I checked in. That's very unusual for B&Bs, especially since a vegan would have found it impossible to eat most of the food. They have a refrigerator for guests to use, and its stocked with sodas for $.50. However, I put an uneaten pint of Ben and Jerry's in the freezer and it disappeared in less than 24 hours. :(

Overall, I felt like this was a good value. I agree with the previous reviewer that the owners were not visibly around much, but since they did everything I asked I can't really complain. The two blocks west felt a little sketchy walking home late at night, but otherwise the neighborhood felt very safe: lovely houses to look at and good restaurants on Baltimore Ave. The house seemed fairly clean. While the housekeeper sometimes forgot to restock a toiletry, replace a towel, or remove the hair from the shower..it was never forgotten for more than a day. The common areas seemed well cared for. I probably wouldn't stay here again, just because there are other places in the area that I'd like to try, but this is a solid choice for the price.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Good afternoon,

My name is Cesar Gonzales and I am the new owner of The Gables. We took over last October 2016. Since we took over, we have installed custom draperies in all the rooms to address the issue you listed. We also have added individual a/c heat units in each rooms. We also have upgraded all rooms to have queen sized beds except for two rooms where we still have two twin beds for those who wanted to have separate beds. We also serve breakfast daily now made to order. Please read our guest reviews since we took over.

We hope that you will visit us again when you are in Philadelphia.

Regards

Reviewed 18 July 2012

After reading the positive reviews and promising website, my expectations were high. I was very disappointed. I am astonished that this property scores high ratings. Hosts were hardly present, were unavailable for questions about the area, did not ask once during my two-night stay if I needed anything. My room was poorly lit, the furnishings dusty and worn; the couch in the room had a tear that revealed its stuffing, the electric window candle was secured with visible duct tape. The bathroom surfaces and floor were dusty, there was hair in the shower stall, and the spigot handle was cracked and partially missing. The window air conditioner was intrusively loud. Nearly empty coffee cup left in the room 9:30 a.m. was still there when I returned 4:00 p.m. Hallways and stairways not air conditioned. Prepared breakfast sat out for 1.5+ hours; thus, milk was barely cool, cut fresh fruit was mushy, baked dish was cool by the time I ate breakfast. I would not return and would never recommend this property.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Peggy0707

Good afternoon, Ms. Peggy

My name is Cesar Gonzales and I am the new owner of The Gables. We took over last October 2016. A lot has changed at the Gables since your last visit. We hope that you give us a try again next time you are in Philadelphia. We have now installed individual split air-conditioned/heater in each rooms, plus the hallway. We now serve breakfast made to order. We hope you would read our reviews since we took over and give us another try.

Regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2012

We just spent a weekend in The Gables on 4520 Chester Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19143 and it was just wonderful! It is a victorian manor home and everything inside and outside is just immaculate! Warren Cederholm was the Innkeeper who took care of us and he was just superb. Our room was a throw back to an earlier age and with all the antiques and the canopy bed, we could not have asked for more. The attention to detail caught us by complete surprise--everything was there! If you forgot it, it was there! The breakfast is homemade and the dining area is cozy and quite beautiful just as the rest of the home is. If you go there, we hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Victorian Suite which has a mini-sun room. I just loved it!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have stayed at the Gables twice, once with my daughter and once with my husband. The Gables is a beautiful bed and breakfast and the host is charming. Rooms vary considerably from a small room filled with books (my first visit) to incredibly large rooms, some with twin beds and others with large beds. The detailing in the house is pure Victorian with substantial, heavy dark furniture but also wonderful stained glass windows. Breakfast is scrumptious and varied and served elegantly using sterling silver place settings. We were happy that we arrived in time to secure parking in the back...I'm not sure that all guests can find a spot but street parking is allowed in that part of town. The only drawback is that it is located in West Philly (same side of the river as U Penn) not close to any good restaurants. One might have to drive to find a good dinner.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2012

The Gables is exactly what a B&B should be. It has an excellent host, features a very fine breakfast buffet (this B&B has ten rooms, so do not expect individually cooked breakfasts), a charming house (if you like late 19th century bric-a-brac) and an excellent, quiet location.
Another plus is that the place is close to the University of Pennsylvania and is also close to two trolley lines. We felt very much at home and would return to this place in a heartbeat. The neighborhood is very quiet. Lastly, there is adequate parking on the property.

Room Tip: Best to get one on the second floor, otherwise there are a lot of steps.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We are in Philadelphia for our son's graduation. We usually stay in large 4 or 5 star hotels.
The Gables is a real treat. It's convenient to Penn in a lovely safe neighborhood. The old Victorian is impeccable clean and lovingly maintained. The Christmas room is spacious and very comfortable. Kudos to the owners Don and Warren. I highly recommend this property.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family