“Breathe Spa Review - BEWARE if you suffer any previous NECK INJURY”

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #7 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pa
“Breathe Spa Review - BEWARE if you suffer any previous NECK INJURY”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I need to post this review here under the hotel.

I will post here an email that I sent to the company with a concern I had.. three times I emailed to the email I was told to and got no response. I LOST TWO WORK DAYS AND INCURRED HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS EXPENSE because of this spa and yet they don't even respond.. amazing. THE WORST MASSAGE I HAVE EVER HAD - COULD NOT WAIT FOR IT TO OVER.

You will see my full email to them regarding the service and my experience.. I will say my girlfriend had a wonderful massage but it seems to be a crapshoot and the fact that the company does not even respond tells me they are not a reputable establishment.

I would just have not ever gone back BUT with the issues I experienced, I felt it necessary to inform them and now I am wondering what kind of business they are.

Here is my email:
I want to make you aware of a problem that I encountered there. I had the below mentioned reservation with a friend of mine. It was a strange massage experience because first off, his hands were rough and his style a bit like very short, erractic, jerky movements. There were none of the traditional long relaxing strokes. It was clearly his style (odd that it was). I did not say anything because I can't imagine someone can change the style that the do so I went with it but to be honest, I was not enjoying it and was waiting for it to end. The words I used to describe it to my friend was - I told her I had the ADHD massage. I decided not to say anything that day because every massage therapist has a different style and personal preferences vary between clients. So you may ask - why I am writing to you today. The answer is this, it is important for me to tell you what happened to me after the massage so that perhaps no one else experiences what I did. I will start off by saying that I have a previous neck injury from a car accident two years ago that has been good for the past 6 months (pain free), this all changed after my visit to your spa. I left there and that night was sore from the massage, this sometimes happens so I thought nothing of it. Over the next couple of days, the soreness intensified esp in my neck injury area. I spent 2 days in bed unable to move my neck at all without intense pain - (I was unable to work these days). I had to go and visit and acupuncturist for treatments in order to be able to move my neck at all without this debilitating pain. I can now move my neck but the soreness, achiness, and pain from my injury have returned. I was told that "jerky" type movements of the head and neck will make the injured area "reinjured." I felt important for you to be aware.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank TimnJudi
EdeanKam, Managing Director at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for taking your time to share your issues with Breathe Spa. I will certainly forward your comments to the ownership and management of the operating company for the Spa on your behalf.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,030)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Wall, NJ
Reviewed 28 March 2012

If you are doing business near center city, this is a great place to stay. This hotel was once a bank and the adaptive reuse makes for an interesting environment. The staff is attentive and helpful. The food is very good, but it has to be because there is a lot of competition in the area. I would recommend using mass transit to get there (it's easy and convenient) plus parking runs over $30/day. Join Loews's affinity program before you arrive for free wireless internet access. They also have a huge fitness center. Pack your gym gear!

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher floors (20 and up) for some outstanding views of the city.
Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My fiancé and I wanted to take a little getaway weekend in Philadelphia, and after looking around at the local hotels, decided on Loews. It’s in a good location, close to mass transit, and within walking distance of many restaurants, bars, and local attractions. Since this review is specific to the hotel, I won’t go into a lot of detail about the other aspects of our trip, other than to say that parking in the city can be problematic at times, and many of the bars and restaurants seem to get very crowded, at least on Saturday nights, which you might expect. If crowds aren’t your thing, make sure you have a backup plan (or two).

Before I launch into the main review, I want to relate a couple of points that don’t really fit in anywhere else. The first thing is the parking at the hotel. With parking at a premium in the city, it would have been nice to have parking included in the price of the hotel stay, but not so. The hotel does not offer free or self parking – it is valet only, for $43.20 ($36 plus tax) per overnight, with unlimited in and out. I’m hardly a world traveler, and maybe I tend toward the frugal, but bumping up the cost of our stay by 35% seems kind of steep. Especially when I hate valet parking, which is a rant I won’t go into here….

My other point has to do with wi-fi. Once again, I am hardly a world traveler, and perhaps things are beginning to trend this way overall, but I was surprised that I would be charged for a wi-fi connection - $10.95/day, from 13:00-13:00 (1 p.m. to 1 p.m.). Not an exorbitant rate, but it surprised me. I had always taken for granted that wi-fi would be provided. And it appears that, if a Loews Rewards member, wi-fi becomes free after x number of stays (I’m not sure of the exact number).

Okay, the hotel… We called ahead to request an early check-in, and they were able accommodate our request fairly quickly. We actually declined the offered room, preferring a higher floor, but they were polite and friendly throughout our phone call. And when we arrived, they did indeed have a room reserved for us on a higher floor. Check-in was a breeze, and the front desk staff was pleasant and efficient. The lobby was clean and well maintained. While busy, none of the other guests seemed to be waiting around for service. The bellhop was friendly, if a bit too conversational and over-the-top subservient (he referred to us as ‘my king’ and ‘my queen’), but he did manage to explain many of the services available to the guests of the hotel on the way to our room. On our way to the room, we did notice that the hallways where the elevators were located on our floor appeared dirty, and there was debris on the floor (papers, wrappers, etc). Some of the black marble was also quite dingy, and had a while film on it. This was a bit surprising, given how clean and appealing the lobby was. When we arrived at our room, though, all was well. We stayed in a king room, and it was clean and decently appointed. We had a corner room on the twelfth floor, and the view was nice, if not spectacular. I think it would have been better had we been higher, but it still lent a nice air to the room having the shades open. The bed was very comfortable, with the exception of the pillows, all of which were overly firm. That’s fine for those for whom firm happens to be the preference. But if there are going to be multiple pillows, why not provide a couple of firm along with a couple of softer pillows. Not a big deal, but a small touch…

The bathroom was clean and pretty standard…nothing to write home about. It wasn’t overly large, but the hotel did provide a lot of towels, which was nice. The robes, which appeared comfortable, were actually somewhat scratchy on the inside, like they’d been washed in something harsh, and not as soft as we would have liked.

The room décor was attractive and modern, but the colors were warm. The alarm clock with the iPod docking station was a pleasant surprise, as was the Keurig coffee machine. We appreciated the fact that we were provided with four pods for regular coffee, as well as one tea, one hot chocolate, one green tea, and one decaf coffee. And real, not powdered, creamers. In my admittedly limited hotel experience, I always felt as though the in-room coffee was one area that a hotel could make an easy good impression. It was an opportunity that the hotels I’ve stayed in have missed, but not so on this trip.

When we decided to go out for the evening, we wanted to explore taking the subway, as we were going from the hotel to one end of Market Street, and then back past the hotel to the other end of Market Street. But the concierge wasn’t familiar with the subway system and had no documentation or information on it. So it was suggested that we take the bus or a cab. The concierge should have information on all of the available options. She was able to look up information on the bus routes on her computer terminal.

The bed was very comfortable, but little sleep was had this weekend, as there was a good deal of noise coming from the hallways throughout the night. Yelling, cursing, doors slamming…it went on for quite a while. At several points, someone (we assumed a hotel employee) was trying to get the noisy guests out of the hallways, but was doing quite a bit of yelling themselves. And it was sporadic throughout the night. This was probably just an aberration, but still something to be aware of. Also, our room was somewhat close to the elevators (although, according to the front desk, our room was further from the elevators than most of the other king rooms), and it sounded as though a subway train were entering the station. It was quite loud, and if you’re a light sleeper, it will, in all likelihood, keep you awake.

The following morning took us to the fitness center for a workout before breakfast, and it was a pleasure. Not crowded, plenty of equipment of all different varieties, and very clean. Water is provided, flavored with citrus fruits, which was a nice touch. And each of the steppers/treadmills/elliptical machines had a television attached to it that you could watch if you can’t bear to be away from the boob-tube for too long. We finished our workout, showered, called the concierge for breakfast options, and checked out. Check out was also a simple, fast process. We checked our bags with the concierge, as we wanted to wander about the city for a while before heading home, and this too was quick and efficient. When we came back at around 4 p.m., I retrieved our bags within 3-5 minutes of entering, and we were on our way home. We enjoyed our stay and would return to stay here again, or at another Loews property. Except for just a couple of minor points, this could be an exemplary hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ILikeToBeAway
California
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I recommend this hotel for visitors to philadelphia. I was here for a conference for 3 nights, 4 days. I had a taken a cab from the airport and arrived in a terrible mood because the cab ride was the worst experience ever (to be reviewed at the appropriate place), but I was greeted by the most pleasant hotel staff (Philip). And from then on, everyone at the hotel from check-in to the concierge was extremely courteous and professional and pleasant. My room was clean, comfortable, and had a beautiful view (floor 23) of the city. There was a mini-fridge, wi-fi at $10.95 a day or a business center that charges $10.80 every 20 minutes for internet usage. I didn't have as good of an experience at the restaurant Solefood, but I will leave a review separately for the restaurant. The location of the hotel was perfect. You can walk to the Reading Terminal Market (great place to pick up some chocolate covered pretzels made by the amish). You an also walk to nearby shopping stored a few blocks away. If I return to Philadelphia, I would definitely stay here again.

Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend at Loews recently and we were very pleased. Our stay started with a minor glitch: in mid afternoon our room was not yet ready. The desk clerk gave us two drink vouchers and asked us to enjoy a drink in the bar for a short time. It wasn't long after that our room was ready.

Our room (which had a great view of the city), the dining room in which we had breakfast, the bar and all of the other facilities that we were exposed to were very satisfactory and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Most of all, however, we were impressed with the courtesy, cordiality and service orientation of every employee that we encountered.

The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Philadelphia near the convention center. It is a short walk to the historical area, and a longer walk or a short cab ride to the major museums. There are a number of great restaurants within a ten minute walk. Public rail, bus and subway transportation is within easy reach, as is the train to the airport. There is a parking garage next door with atrocious rates that are standard for downtown Philadelphia.

Room Tip: For a view of the city, ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 March 2012

In this case, the service outweighed anything that wasn't perfect about my stay here. From the moment you enter the building until you leave, your interaction with the staff is very professional and positive. The workout facility, steam room, spa, etc.was an unexpected perk compared to the nearby Marriott and Hilton. Can't wait to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a good view, mine was awesome and I didn't have a fancy room.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The Loews is well-located near city hall, the convention center, and the market and has plenty of dining options around. From it you could easily walk to the historical sites in downtown. On higher floors you can get great views, as it is taller than the buildings around it. In addition, the building has a long history and when the hotel purchased the property, they made an obvious effort to maintain much of the original building's marble and architecture.

On the positive side, rooms are not as small as some other hotels in the city and have been recently updated so they are very clean and modern. Despite it's height, elevators arrived fairly quickly even to the 30th floor where I stayed. The hotel staff was very helpful with anything I asked about, and by joining their rewards program for free they will remove any internet charges from your bill.

On the negative side, I had two issues that leave me baffled as to why they would not be corrected. The first is that my room door had about a one inch gap (during the day you could see the light shining into the hallway from underneath my door) so sounds traveled very easily into the room and other doors opening and closing woke me up a couple of times. I noticed other doors with the same issue so I know it is not just my room, and a simple draft guard would likely block most of the noise. The second is that the toilet paper used is really thin, flimsy one-ply stuff like you might find in a stadium or airport. If these issues had not existed, I'd be giving the hotel five stars.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a good view, and paying for the club floors gets you free breakfast in a quiet, h...