“Just OK”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
“Just OK”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at Loews this past weekend. We arrived at 3:45 and they did not have any king rooms available yet. They gave us 2 free drink passes so we went to the bar to relax. The band was terrible and way too loud. We could barely hear each other. The people at the front desk were very courteous. An hour later our room was ready. Turns out they were hosting 6 weddings so things were undoubtedly busier than usual. The room was just OK. Since it was Loews, I think I expected more. It was very small, the TV didn't work very well and the bed was hard. There are better hotels to be had in the downtown area, especially for the price.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
EdeanKam, Managing Director at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
We want to thank you for taking your time to share your comments with us on your recent visit with us at the Loews Philadelphia We are pleased you found our staff courteous. I will be sure to share your thoughts concerning the noise level of the entertainment in our Solefood Lounge.
We hope you will consider the Loews Philadelphia again when your travels next bring you back to our City.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,006)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
NJ
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Stayed here for a convention. Have stayed at this hotel before and had a good experience but my recent stay was horrible. In addition to my room, I booked rooms for colleagues and I also booked the 32nd Floor Presidential Suite to use as a hospitality suite for meetings and to entertain clients in. The Presidential Suite had a giant neon yellow stain on the carpet, which the hotel covered the next day with a throw rug because I insisted they fix it. The doorbell to the Suite played "Joy to the World"... In April! We had prearranged catering for meetings and they did not deliver food on time and had trouble getting the orders right. Housekeeping threw out all the soda, beer and bottles of alcohol (that we paid for) when they cleaned the room, even though we weren't scheduled to check out. My personal room had ac problems, which couldn't be fixed. I had to move to another room, which had plumbing problems. That room also had a mattress that had a coil sticking out of it. The hotel had very little bandwidth so it has hard to download email and impossible to stream netflix. I got stuck in the elevators twice during the week I was there. I had issues with room keys being coded properly. I walked into my room one night and found a giant bag of dirty hotel laundry. Was double billed for something that cost $1,400. Not a good visit. Between the $1,500 per night suite and the $262 price for the rooms with a total spend of about $32,000 at that hotel while we were there, one would expect more. I spoke to their sales manager and their executive assistant hotel manager and was told they would address those issues but was not offered anything to compensate me for all the inconvenience. I was told they threw the mattress with the coil sticking out away but I shouldn't have had to point that out for them to take action. Completely shameful. They have a four diamond award. I don't think they even deserve one diamond. I question the last time the hotel was evaluated by AAA because service has gone done the drain.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank travelgal0808
EdeanKam, Mnaging Director at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Thank you for your comments. Excellence and attention to detail is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our hotel and provide a supremely comfortable experience here at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. I understand that you have discussed your comments with our Assistant Executive Manager as well as the Conference Manager for your group. . Please contact me directly as I would very much like to discuss your visit with you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This was by far the most frustrating hotel stay I have ever experienced. My fiancé and I traveled to Philadelphia from DC to celebrate our engagement. We were excited because we had heard great things about the Loews Chain of Hotels and it was our top choice to have our wedding reception there.

The first incident began upon arrival at 4:10 pm, when we went to check in we were told that there were no clean king rooms, but there were rooms with two double beds available. We paid for a king, so we said we would wait. We then proceeded to wait over an hour before the room was ready. After being slightly perturbed, we decided to brush it off and go up to our room and get ready for dinner.

After being in the room for 15 minutes, a maid knocked once and promptly opened the door and got a clear view of my fiancé changing. The housekeeper explained that the room had not been cleaned and she was told to clean it. This made us question 1.) The security of the room (the dead bolt was latched) and 2.) The cleanliness of the room (and if in fact we were staying in a clean room). I decided to call the front desk where I voiced my concerns, (after being told that simply putting the do not disturb sign out would prevent future intrusions) I was told that we would be receiving a complementary bottle of champagne and strawberries sent up to our room. 50 minutes passed of sitting in our room before I decided to call back down when I asked to speak to Marcus (the manager I had originally spoke to), I was told that he was not “available” (after being on hold for 5 minutes). I was then informed that he would make sure we received the champagne and that we would get a call back. Another hour passed with no champagne and no call. I decided to call down and say that we were leaving for dinner because we were late now for our reservations and that we would deal with this later.

We left had a great dinner at Morton’s and came back in good spirits despite the earlier incidents. We then decided before we turned in to check-in with the front desk to try and get some clarity on the status of our champagne. We respectfully voiced our concerns to an individual at the front desk who told us that the champagne had been delivered to our room and that “Josh” had left a note that our room would be complimentary due to the earlier incidents. I asked the individual for some contact information or a printed confirmation that our room would be free (I booked through a third party website so I could not get the refund on-site). I agreed that I would go through the appropriate channels to get the refund, but again simply wanted confirmation that this would in fact happen. The situation quickly escalated when the flustered employee decided to call Jessica (the night manager) to deal with the situation. My fiancé at this point was quite upset that we could not get a simple piece of paper assuring us that we could get a refund. Our reasonable frustration logically escalated and prompted a pompous security guard (void of any coping mechanisms or tact) to inform a crying five foot tall female that we had two options either go up to our room and take the “algid” free room or get kicked out… Yes, get kicked out for sensibly voicing our concerns about not being able to get a piece of paper with a name and a number on it.

This was the most exhausting and taxing experience I have ever dealt with in a hotel or any customer service environment. We spent our entire trip not relaxing or talking about our upcoming wedding, but instead talking about the way we were treated by the employees and the downright ridiculousness of all of the situations we encountered while at the Loews. I realize this is a service industry and there are a lot of difficulties and annoyances that staff deals with. We never asked for any of the items the staff offered: I did not request a bottle of champagne or a free room, but when I am told I will be receiving them I expect to receive them and in a curious and timely manner.

I have never seen such an arrogant and argumentative customer service model. I ask for just the basics in a hotel and I spend my money to be treated like a “guest”. I felt like I was in line at the DMV for all of 20 hours I spent at the Loews Hotel. I kept putting myself in the shoes of one of our wedding guests and imagining if they went through a fraction of what we did, how awful I would feel. I am sure I will never see a cent of the refund and we will certainly be having our wedding reception elsewhere.

6 Thank zdk1111
EdeanKam, Managing Director at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Thank you for sharing your experiences during your recent visit here at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are so sorry that you had this poor experience. Please be assured that we will review these examples with our staff to ensure they do not occur again. We have also contacted the third party where you booked your reservation to secure a refund on your behalf. I would appreciate it if you would please contact me personally to further discuss your comments.
King of Prussia, PA
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We booked this hotel for a girls' overnight via Priceline. The hotel is very nice: spacious rooms, upgraded amenities, fun bar scene. Its very close to public transportation, easy to drive to, tons to do in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: High floors have magnificent views of Philadelphia.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MomofHandH
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in while on business. Location is in the heart of downtown Philadelphia. The concierge assisted us with restaurants suggestions, car rental, subway locations and shopping areas.
Pros; beds, room size, bed comfort, hotel lounge, location and staff.
Cons; fee for wireless access, dark front entrance.

Room Tip: Reading market is the best.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
blacksburg, va
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I have been to the Loews 3 times. The first I just asked for a nice room as we were celebrating something special. We got a corner room on the 32nd floor. This is one level below concierge and one above the "special 31st floor breakfast" (bring your room key! I took the stairs because it waas only one flight and got locked in the stairwell! lol When I say corner room I mean that 2 whole walls were glass with a view of the skyline that is gorgeous! It was also Christmas time and the lobby and surrounding areas were breathtaking with white and gold trees. Sigh

The second time I had a night reserved for my son and I and I showed up to Philly early and the person I waas supposed to stay with didnt exactly have an extra bed....uhh.no. so I called up Loews, told them I had a reso the next night and do they have a room for THAT night that I could get at the same "last minute" price I booked for. The woman on the phone was SO nice, had seen that I had been there before (and this was the main Loews number, not the Philly one specifically), was friendly, helpful and hooked us up with the same price (now I wanted a different room than the one I was going to get with my son. He lives in philly and attends a private school for special needs and it was our little spring break to spend time together. I wanted him to have a "fresh" room if that makes sense. I told them this....no problem)

I arrived to the doormen with the heated entrance, passed through the gorgeous dimly, but colorfully lit SoleFood (have not eaten there so cannot give a review on that) was greeted by the staff that I CANNOT say enough about. Extremely accommodating in every way (I locked my keys in my room 3 times!! and they just laughed and gave me new ones after checking my id or asking me a security question). The elevators are quick and there are a ton. Watch for the light up top or by the time you figure out which one is opening, it may be closing! LOL

When we opened the door THIS room was even nicer than the first. The bathroom was bigger than my childrens' bedrooms at home! The bathtub was a huge garden tub which filled by a side bar faucet (sorry if Im just catching on to this feature but it was my own little infinity pool). Corner room once again, amazingly comfortable robes (I wear them EVERYTIME) beautiful decor and views, super amazing staff and beds to die for! Please remember to close your drapes before bed. As pretty as the view is it is BRIGHT at 7 am when you don't have to get up until 9!

We ordered room service a few times...yes it's expensive but what room service isnt? We did order the pastry and fruit for $13 and I will try to attach a picture. Yes I took a picture because it was beautiful and delicious and well...Im a photographer.

The only disappointments were that the room i got for the next night with my 12 year old son wasn't nearly as spacious or special but he had never been to a nicer hotel so he was still in awe and I understand the more "romantic" rooms SHOULD be the King beds and not for me and my middle schooler! The inside pool is very warm and nice but its a 2 lane lap pool which is great...for me or my mother. My son was underwhelmed when trying to swim with 2 elderly in swim caps as Im sure they were equally as thrilled to swim with my son. BUT the pool/fitness center sellls Clarins and I'm a makeup junkie. There is also a gift shop but I didn't go in.

Valet is a little slow but I have no idea what they deal with. Woman at valet window was not nearly as friendly as the hotel staff. Everything is within walking distance. I will stay here everytime I come to Philly! Love it

Room Tip: ask for a higher up corner room!! They'll bend over backwards to accommodate
New Hampshire
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We spent 3 nights at the Loew's Philly for a family reunion. Great location-- one block from Reading Terminal Food Market--walk to all downtown sites. Walking distance to many great restaurants. We had excellent service. Parking is not cheap but average for the city. Clean & lovely rooms and worth paying extra for the view on the top floors--river one one side, City Hall on the other side. It was very quiet. Room service was quick be sure you understand the charges!). No complaints from our group and we got a great 3-night deal.

Room Tip: Upper floors worth the money for the view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
EdeanKam, Managing Director at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us here at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you appreciated the hotel’s central location for sight seeing and great shopping and especially the Reading Terminal Market.