“Great location, fantastic views”

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #7 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great location, fantastic views”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay at the Loews for the Philadelphia marathon weekend. The hotel location can't be beat. I made more than one trip across the street to the Reading Terminal Market for lunch and snacks (4th Street cookies!) and it was less than ten blocks to the heart of Old City or Rittenhouse Square.
Our hotel room (deluxe/double) was much larger than I had expected. Lots of room to stretch out and unpack. The shelf attached to the full length mirror was a nice touch.
The hotel is undergoing some remodeling so there isn't a first floor lobby. There is plenty of room to stretch out on the 33rd floor lounge which isn't quite the same but offers great views.
Scoring 4 stars instead of 5, only because the valet scratched our car as we were departing (it happens, but Yikes!), and I had so much difficulty getting information about the menu available at the hotel restaurant (solution: just head upstairs to the 33rd floor).

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are happy you had ample room to stretch out and get comfortable before the marathon, congratulations for running it. My apologies about valet, please call us if we can assist with anything else. Thank you again for your review and we hope to host you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,006)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed here at a discounted rate for a conference, but if I had a choice I probably wouldn't stay here. The location is great and our view was breathtaking (we were on the 27th floor), but it's just not my cup of tea. First of all, it was around $12-$14 a day for internet, there wasn't free breakfast and the pool area wasn't 24/7. Also $40 a day for parking is too much. The rooms were nice and clean. It was a nice hotel, but I'd rather stay at a Holiday Inn or something to get the free wifi and breakfast. The staff was friendly though.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your room. We use an “al a carte” pricing system so guests only get charged for amenities they used; however, in early 2014, we will be offering complimentary in room Wi-Fi. Thank you again for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This is our second time staying here for a long weekend. Never any complaints. Staff is wonderful, especially Miranda in concierge. Rooms are always clean. It's within walking distance of some of the best restaurants but they will always have a can ready. Always willing to come back.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Lalal1sa
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are glad you choose to spend your anniversary with us. I will make sure Miranda gets recognized for the exceptional service she provided making you feel special at your home away form home. Thank you again for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We spent two nights at the Loews and highly recommend this hotel. The rooms are clean, modern and tidy and there is a lovely lobby area for relaxing in (complimentary hot apple cider was served in the afternoons while we were there). We received a complimentary upgrade to a Club Room, which was very much appreciated and gave us fantasntic views over the city. We used room service for one of our evening meals and the food was delicious and delivered very promptly. The hotel's location is also really good; right in the heart of the action and within walking distance to all the main attractions in Philly. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for one of the higher floors with a City Hall view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank p0psicleh
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased our newly renovated rooms were to your liking. Our views are certainly breath taking too especially during an in room dining meal. Thanks again for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I had a very lovely stay at the Philadelphia Loews! I highly reccomend this hotel. It is in a prime location; next to love park, the Liberty bell and about a 20 minute walk to South St. The staff was very nice. Ashley and Ray in concierge were very helpful with providing directions and tours. Tanisha (?) the front desk supervisor was exceptional with helping me check out in time, since I was in a rush. The bellman and doorman were very helpful with asisting me as well.

I really enjoyed the breakfast buffet. The view was beautiful and sunny, and the food was declicous. The entire restuarant staff was freindly and very accommodating. I had a superior queen which was very spacious, clean and comfortable!

Overall I enjoyed my stay and cannot wait to go back! I've stayed at other loews properties and this was one of my favorites so far. People who work in the hospitality business (like myself) are the hardest to please but I must say, everyone I encountered displayed the true definition of STAR SERVICE ;)

Room Tip: I stayed on the 15th floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are elated you enjoyed our Star Service programs. I will ensure that our team members get recognition for the outstanding service they provided. Thanks again for the review and we cannot wait to host you again in the future.
Washington
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I was torn between a three and a four star review, but settled on a three star because I have noticed lately that when I am asked "how was your stay" at checkout, desk service doesn't seem to actually want to know how your stay really was. The Loews staff wasn't any different, and as soon as I mentioned that it was an "ok stay, but had some trouble with noise," I was dismissed right away, as if they were worried I was going to try and con them out of a free night. Thus, I turn to tripadvisor to write my honest and constructive criticism.

First, the positives. Great location, very walkable. I loved that the Reading terminal market is almost right across the street so I ended up going there for breakfast and lunch each day. There is a fantastic variety of foods and the market is indoors for when the weather is chilly. Note: take the shortcut through the building where the Hard Rock Cafe is and follow the signs to the market, there is a back door that takes you right in. Also walkable are the historic districts of jewelers row, liberty bell and rittenhouse square (all about a 15 minute brisk walk). Market street did not make the best impression on me so I ended up looping back around to the hotel on Walnut street which had a good number of cafes and boutiques.

Ok back to the hotel. The doormen/women were helpful and friendly and kept a pretty good eye on the door most of the time. The room and bathroom was spacious and modern and we enjoyed the k-cup machine in the morning. I had some issues with the cleanliness of the bathroom that I'll bring up in the next section. One of the main reasons I booked at Loews was because they had a lap pool, which was really nice. Only two lanes, rather small (didn't seem wide enough to share) but it was fairly relaxed each time I visited. The pool area was clean and I appreciated the extra warm towels that were left at our chairs while we were swimming as well as the relaxing spa music that they started playing while we were there. The rest of the workout area was nice, with lots of open space and light, complimentary towels, chilled towels for your face and a large jug of fruit-infused water available to guests. Probably one of the nicest hotel gyms I have seen.

The reason I didn't rate the hotel higher was that I expected a little bit more from such a highly rated hotel. The view was non-existent, overlooking the roof of the building, with little sunlight coming in during the morning or afternoon. As I mentioned earlier, I had a hard time sleeping because the bed was uncomfortable and there was constant background noise due to slamming doors and a kid screaming in the room next to us at night. The last morning of our stay we had housekeeping knock on our doors at 9am to ask if we were ready to check out so she could clean the room! It seemed like an imposition to her that we were taking our time to pack up (I believe that checkout is at noon) and she would scowl at us each time we returned to the room. This is the kind of thing that I would be fine with leaving off a review, if the concierge had bothered to feign interest on how I actually had enjoyed my stay.

The last reason why I docked a star was that the upkeep of the bathroom could have been better. I found a few random hairs on the floor as we checked in, and the sink had a large crack running through it. There were some minor streaks on the bathtub and on the last day, I found a large brownish stain on the shower curtain.

Overall, for the price of the room I was able to book I am satisfied but will probably look elsewhere for my next stay. The main reason I would consider booking here again would be for the fitness center.

Room Tip: If you enjoy a quieter morning and evening, ask for a room away from the elevators that does not hav...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed our hotel (both the room and the location) and liked the staff. I will pass the note along to housekeeping, as that is certainly not our standard. Thank you again for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

We absolutely loved this hotel - especially the larger room. If we had to nit pick, then the room service was a bit hit and miss - they didn't replace a few items like coffee. However, they apologised and corrected it as soon as we made them aware. The staff were super friendly (as most people are in Philly!). We would definitely go back. Oh, and go up to the top floor and check out the views.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul L
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased to be named “one of the best hotels you’ve stayed in”. Our staff really does make the experience memorable. Thank you again for your review and we hope to host you again soon.