“Wife and I had a wonderful time, staff friendly and helpful”

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #7 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reston, Virginia
“Wife and I had a wonderful time, staff friendly and helpful”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Taking off one star because the room layout was strange. The TV is to the right of the bed so after a day of work and/or sightseeing, it's a hassle to watch TV at that angle. Also, and this is common with high end hotels, they had a minibar but no fridge or mini microwave. It's understandable that high end travelers often assume that travelers won't miss such an amenity, but in a city such as Philly it's not uncommon to pick up something from the Reading Market. But these are minor things to quibble about. The GOOD stuff: Staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful and went the extra mile to make sure you were happy. Pool and gym area are amazing with a wet and dry Sauna and an olympic style pool. Staff at the gym also amazing. Internet was efficient. The shampoos, etc. included in the room were above par including Q-tips and cotton balls. We don't get up to corporate headquarters (comcast) as much as we'd like, but with service like this it's tempting to make excuses.

Room Tip: Hotel is near a hospital and ambulances are running all the time. Wasn't a big deal for us but...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear PKVA,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review! It is my pleasure that you enjoyed all of the amentities we offer and the exemplary level of service provided by each of our teammembers.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The Lowes is a pretty nice hotel. I booked through Living Social and got a really good rate; typically, I prefer to book through the hotel directly, but when I called Loews to see if they would match the Living Social offer, they declined. No big deal though, wasn't treated any differently because of my booking method (which you can run into at some properties).

Check in was a breeze... I'd be surprised if it even took 5 minutes. Every single staff member we saw during the stay was incredibly friendly and helpful, and not in a generic way, either. We got a room on the 24th floor, which definitely benefits from a view amenity. Check out was also ridiculously quick, no surprises on the bill. The location of this property really cannot be beat if you're looking to check out attractions in the city. It's right in the middle between City Hall and Reading Terminal... 5 minute walk to either venue. We parked the car and didn't move it until it was time to go home, everything we needed was within walking distance.

The rooms were clean, no bed bugs (yes, I check before setting my luggage down). If you're the type of traveler to scrutinize your room like it's a new construction walk through before closing, you'll absolutely find little defects here and there. But if cleanliness matters more than dinged up paint, you're safe at the Loews. Beds are comfortable, but could use more pillows. The robes are AWESOME. Bath amenities just OK... I'm pretty picky there and just wasn't blown away by that. But I'll take a clean tub over better soap any day.

The gym is VERY nice. Very large, lots of equipment. Pool area is relaxing, lots comfortable loungers available... even if the pool is only two lanes. Lots of nice amenities, including flavored water (think like you get at the spa, with lemon and lime), relaxation room, plenty of huge towels and robes to use, etc. It really is like a spa locker room. Definitely hit up the sauna, but pass on the steam room... it really had a gym scent to it, and could benefit from being closed for a few days for cleaning.

The building itself is very cool; they preserved a lot of the bank/original details, and it's got an art deco feel to it. If you're a fan of architecture, you'll like this building a lot.

Aside from the steam room smelling a bit funky, I hesitated on giving this property five stars for a couple reasons. One being the parking situation; it's incredibly expensive to park at the hotel. I'm slightly inclined to give them a pass on it, but you can self-park one block around the corner on 12th street for $17/day. I'm hard pressed to pay the hotel double that rate, even if I do have to walk around the block myself. A wiser business move would be to get close to that $17/day rate to add value for customers. Room service is also ridiculously overpriced, AND comes with the kicker of an automatic 20% service charge, AND a $4 delivery fee. I've got no problem tipping for decent service and I expect the food to be overpriced, but a delivery fee? Outrageous prices for simple foods? We had pizza delivered right up to the room instead. Also, even though the wi-fi is free and works well enough, the connection website is not compatible with a Galaxy tablet. If we didn't have a laptop with us, that would have been a bust.

Overall, this was a good stay. Just a couple small changes makes it a great stay. Compliments to the staff for being so genuine!

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on a higher floor... 24 was good.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Philosolaw,

What a wonderful review! It is my pleasure that our team members were able to provide you with exemplary, genuine service I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us from our central location to the service and amenities offered, and truly look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I left my coat on the coat rack when I left my conference at Loews, Philadelphia. I called in about 3 hours later when I got home and realized it. I was transferred to what I believe is called Safety and Security and the gentleman I spoke to was PERFECT--listened, expressed his concern about my situation, told me to give him my name and number and he would call if coat was found. Two hours later I got a call and could not pick up, but then I called and was treated extremely professionally again. Both gentlemen said you would mail it to me, on the hotel, today--I said I would be happy to pay because it was my mistake, they both said something to the effect that it was their pleasure to get my coat to me as soon as possible and they were happy to provide me with the service. Overall the stay was very nice, but my mistake gave them an opportunity to step up, and show me how really good they are!! P.S. When we left it was raining and valet gave us detailed instructions about how to get out of the city, at 5 pm (aargh) including specific turns and landmarks! (Value was pretty typical for a very nice hotel in Philly, but still a bit pricey).

Room Tip: If you like it, ask for a higher room away from the elevator. Someone in our party got a room by th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear ES_screen_name_,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Loews Philadelphia experience. I am pleased to hear that because of the missing coat we were able to exceed your expectations and really shine in delivering a memorable customer service experience.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to your next visit.
NYC
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

We are staying there tonight but I can't speak highly enough on their customer service. We can to Philadelphia because my son is getting surgery and even though check in is not until 4pm they were more than willing to get us settled hours ahead of time. No supervisor, just an actual human being that wanted to help out. Even at check in the woman at the front desk was very friendly.
Thank you to the entire staff that made a really hard trip a little more bearable!!!!!

Stayed March 2014
Dear livineasystill,

Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful review, All our team members are empowered to provide an experience that is authentically local and genuinely delivered to all our guests. We wish your son a speedy recovery and look forward to welcoming you and the family back soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed here during a weekend in March and I was expecting to be blown away by this 4-star hotel. Sadly, I cannot say that I was any more impressed than if I had chosen a much lower hotel brand at half the price. We parked our car in a nearby parking lot and walked about a block to the hotel with luggage in hand. Like the other reviewer, no one assisted to help with our luggage, even as we made our way to the counter to check in and we past a few employees who kept on walking by. I had to wait a few minutes to check in because of a line of people, but was eventually given the keys to the room. As we stared going to our room, we were walking down the hallway of the ninth floor where we found a condom wrapper on the hallway carpet - always a pleasant sight. Once inside the room, I was a little shocked by how small the actual room was. The bathroom was very large, but the bedroom (with two double-beds) was no bigger than what you would find at a run-of-the-mill Days Inn. The remote to the TV didn't work very well and the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling. There was also a small brown stain on one of the pillows which had me in fear for the rest of the night over what that could have possibly have been. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad hotel, but it certainly was not worth the price they ask for. I went here expecting a 4-star experience and was pretty disappointed. It's almost like they use the "4-star" branding to command $40 for valet parking, $200+/night for a room, and $20 for breakfast food when I could have went to a Holiday Inn for a lot less and receiving the same level of comfort and accommodations as this Loews hotel provided. The big selling point is the location of the hotel as it is very close to a lot of attractions and the subway. You can walk to almost anywhere from here. In summary, unless you find a great deal on the rooms somewhere, keep looking - you don't receive anything extra by paying twice as much at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Diskyguy,

Thank you for sharing your feedback in regards to your recent stay. I am disappointed to read about the cleanliness issues that you experience in your room and the lack of acknowledgement from our team members upon your arrival. These issues certainly are not customary and do not live up to our service standards. I will like the opportunity to discuss this with you further. I can be reached at 215-231-7221.

Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 March 2014

From check in to room service this hotel has drastically changed over past 5 years. From having to wait at valet and absolutely no help with luggage to calling room service and them telling you they have to call you back and no one calls for 35 minutes???? Hotel is completely understaffed. Room small and had an odor. Waited to get on elevator while 2 employees walked in front of me and got on first. Much better places in Center City.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DrTodd7
Dear DrTodd7,

I want to thank you for sharing your feedback, as all feedback helps us to ensure we are continually innovating and improving the service that we offer. I am disappointed in all the service failures you encountered. I will like the opportunity to discuss this with you further. I can be reached at 215-231-7221.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

It's about 11:50pm, your party of about 4 just got to your room. Not sure if you just got back from a party or you just checked in, apparently you all were very excited. Loud conversation and laughter and shouting. I am at your connection room and suffering a sleepless night. Sighs...

Hotel needs to invest on wall thickness or don't get a connection room.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank huipingny
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Huipingny,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. I truly apologized for the neighboring guest being very noisy during your stay. I would welcome the opportunity to personally speak with you further about your experience; I can be reached at 215-231-7221.

Sincerely yours,