“Fantastic Philadelphia Hotel”

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #7 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We had a wonderful experience at the Loews Hotel Philadelphia. Beautiful modern rooms with superb views of Philadelphia. Service was quick and friendly, and the hotel's location couldn't be better. Great restaurants and shopping are all a quick walk away!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Emilieckl,

Thank you for your taking the time to share your experience. It is wonderful to read that you had a fantastic visit at our property. We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Regards,

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed for four nights and really liked the hotel. Lovely staff, really clean and well maintained in a great location for travel and walking around the city centre. Pool is not great - far too many chemicals and just two small segmented lanes but staff at health centre really helpful. Bus and subways on the doorstep or you can choose from any one of Philly's truly ludicrously awful taxis (they are the worst in my experience by far - but not hotels fault:)

Simple check in and out and no fuss. A lovely new bar and restaurant opened while I was there and it was really comfortable. Staff were a little over attentive but it was the first opening so time to get that right yet.

As a Brit I really missed tea in my room (only green tea available) and decent news channels on the TV but that is no more than a passing selfish wish! Would recommend a stay to others.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Sara P,

We appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed recounting of your stay, and are grateful for you recognizing all of the services we provide especially our team members for the service they consistently provide every day.

With 18 reviews in 8 cities, we truly value your comments, and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Not the greatest hotel for the price but it wasn't bad. I was here for the AAHOA conference hosted this year in Philadelphia. The rooms are clean but it does show age and lack of preventive maintenance and upkeep. Being a hotelier myself, I would take charge of this prime location and strive to be a well maintained property. Especially when the room rates are at a premium. Vents are rarely cleaned out and harbor lots of visible dust, both in the room and in the bathroom. When maintenance came to check on the broken heater, the filter was no where close to clean. It was disgusting! (Hotel impossible episode horror flashback!) I wash appalled to see the lack of cleanliness in terms of air quality inside the room. Chrome fixtures show rust and age. These are not major renovations and should be handled periodically. The parking is over priced and is not well synced with the hotel. However being in downtown, it's not bad. I had a few issues but the staff took care of it but it took convincing. Otherwise, gym, spa, pool and the newly revamped restaurant Bank and Bourbon are all great. *****One person I must commend is Matt, the young concierge and bellman. He went above and beyond to make sure my stay was pleasant. He's a friendly and humble individual, works very VERY hard, take pride and enjoys his job. Management needs to hire more like him or promote him. He deserves it! I wish I can find someone like him at my hotel in Los Angeles. Despite minor issues which I can over look, one thing I cannot let go is the horrible dust in the filter and vents, management needs to address this serious issue as it is severely ignored. It's a nice hotel and it's not right to let air quality not be a priority. I would return back if I had another convention in Philly. By the way, it's technically across the street from the convention center but it's really 2 short blocks from the main hub/ core of the convention center. The convention center is huge! Another thing, the hotel valet parking is around the corner on 12th st, not on arch/ market st. as your GPS will guide you too.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear PKPLosAngeles,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Philadelphia, and for taking the time to write about your experience. Please know that I have alerted my Director of Engineering of your comments regarding the conditions of the vents so that we may continue to provide routine and preventive enhancements to our hotel.
Our concierge Matt is a true gem of ours and I am delighted to that he was able to offer you friendly and courteous service throughout your stay.
I truly appreciate you taking the time to give feedback on your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Loews Philadelphia Hotel.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Taking off one star because the room layout was strange. The TV is to the right of the bed so after a day of work and/or sightseeing, it's a hassle to watch TV at that angle. Also, and this is common with high end hotels, they had a minibar but no fridge or mini microwave. It's understandable that high end travelers often assume that travelers won't miss such an amenity, but in a city such as Philly it's not uncommon to pick up something from the Reading Market. But these are minor things to quibble about. The GOOD stuff: Staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful and went the extra mile to make sure you were happy. Pool and gym area are amazing with a wet and dry Sauna and an olympic style pool. Staff at the gym also amazing. Internet was efficient. The shampoos, etc. included in the room were above par including Q-tips and cotton balls. We don't get up to corporate headquarters (comcast) as much as we'd like, but with service like this it's tempting to make excuses.

Room Tip: Hotel is near a hospital and ambulances are running all the time. Wasn't a big deal for us but...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear PKVA,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review! It is my pleasure that you enjoyed all of the amentities we offer and the exemplary level of service provided by each of our teammembers.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The Lowes is a pretty nice hotel. I booked through Living Social and got a really good rate; typically, I prefer to book through the hotel directly, but when I called Loews to see if they would match the Living Social offer, they declined. No big deal though, wasn't treated any differently because of my booking method (which you can run into at some properties).

Check in was a breeze... I'd be surprised if it even took 5 minutes. Every single staff member we saw during the stay was incredibly friendly and helpful, and not in a generic way, either. We got a room on the 24th floor, which definitely benefits from a view amenity. Check out was also ridiculously quick, no surprises on the bill. The location of this property really cannot be beat if you're looking to check out attractions in the city. It's right in the middle between City Hall and Reading Terminal... 5 minute walk to either venue. We parked the car and didn't move it until it was time to go home, everything we needed was within walking distance.

The rooms were clean, no bed bugs (yes, I check before setting my luggage down). If you're the type of traveler to scrutinize your room like it's a new construction walk through before closing, you'll absolutely find little defects here and there. But if cleanliness matters more than dinged up paint, you're safe at the Loews. Beds are comfortable, but could use more pillows. The robes are AWESOME. Bath amenities just OK... I'm pretty picky there and just wasn't blown away by that. But I'll take a clean tub over better soap any day.

The gym is VERY nice. Very large, lots of equipment. Pool area is relaxing, lots comfortable loungers available... even if the pool is only two lanes. Lots of nice amenities, including flavored water (think like you get at the spa, with lemon and lime), relaxation room, plenty of huge towels and robes to use, etc. It really is like a spa locker room. Definitely hit up the sauna, but pass on the steam room... it really had a gym scent to it, and could benefit from being closed for a few days for cleaning.

The building itself is very cool; they preserved a lot of the bank/original details, and it's got an art deco feel to it. If you're a fan of architecture, you'll like this building a lot.

Aside from the steam room smelling a bit funky, I hesitated on giving this property five stars for a couple reasons. One being the parking situation; it's incredibly expensive to park at the hotel. I'm slightly inclined to give them a pass on it, but you can self-park one block around the corner on 12th street for $17/day. I'm hard pressed to pay the hotel double that rate, even if I do have to walk around the block myself. A wiser business move would be to get close to that $17/day rate to add value for customers. Room service is also ridiculously overpriced, AND comes with the kicker of an automatic 20% service charge, AND a $4 delivery fee. I've got no problem tipping for decent service and I expect the food to be overpriced, but a delivery fee? Outrageous prices for simple foods? We had pizza delivered right up to the room instead. Also, even though the wi-fi is free and works well enough, the connection website is not compatible with a Galaxy tablet. If we didn't have a laptop with us, that would have been a bust.

Overall, this was a good stay. Just a couple small changes makes it a great stay. Compliments to the staff for being so genuine!

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on a higher floor... 24 was good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Philosolaw,

What a wonderful review! It is my pleasure that our team members were able to provide you with exemplary, genuine service I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us from our central location to the service and amenities offered, and truly look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I left my coat on the coat rack when I left my conference at Loews, Philadelphia. I called in about 3 hours later when I got home and realized it. I was transferred to what I believe is called Safety and Security and the gentleman I spoke to was PERFECT--listened, expressed his concern about my situation, told me to give him my name and number and he would call if coat was found. Two hours later I got a call and could not pick up, but then I called and was treated extremely professionally again. Both gentlemen said you would mail it to me, on the hotel, today--I said I would be happy to pay because it was my mistake, they both said something to the effect that it was their pleasure to get my coat to me as soon as possible and they were happy to provide me with the service. Overall the stay was very nice, but my mistake gave them an opportunity to step up, and show me how really good they are!! P.S. When we left it was raining and valet gave us detailed instructions about how to get out of the city, at 5 pm (aargh) including specific turns and landmarks! (Value was pretty typical for a very nice hotel in Philly, but still a bit pricey).

Room Tip: If you like it, ask for a higher room away from the elevator. Someone in our party got a room by th...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear ES_screen_name_,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Loews Philadelphia experience. I am pleased to hear that because of the missing coat we were able to exceed your expectations and really shine in delivering a memorable customer service experience.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

We are staying there tonight but I can't speak highly enough on their customer service. We can to Philadelphia because my son is getting surgery and even though check in is not until 4pm they were more than willing to get us settled hours ahead of time. No supervisor, just an actual human being that wanted to help out. Even at check in the woman at the front desk was very friendly.
Thank you to the entire staff that made a really hard trip a little more bearable!!!!!

Stayed: March 2014

Dear livineasystill,

Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful review, All our team members are empowered to provide an experience that is authentically local and genuinely delivered to all our guests. We wish your son a speedy recovery and look forward to welcoming you and the family back soon.