Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Agoda.com
US$216
US$207
5,954 results
All reviewsbank bourbonart decoacross the streetconvention centercity hallcorner roomreading terminal marketroom servicemarket streetvalet parkinghigh floormini barflower showliberty bellbusiness triphotel restaurantgreat room
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My husband was having surgery at the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. We booked two nights at Loews since it was only a block from the hospital, and I would have to walk back to it alone in the late evening.

First, I would like to comment that there is an air of arrogance throughout the building. It's not a very friendly place. Its rather cold.

This hotel is contradictory. It appears to be a very old building, but updated with very modern furniture. The rooms were clean and spacious, and the bed was very comfortable. We had booked a corner room on the top floor, and it had a very nice view of Independence Hall. That being said, however, the street-level noise seemed to be amplified in this particular room.

I ran into a problem when my husband had to stay an extra night in the hospital. I called and asked if I could have a room, any room, for another night. A woman informed me that there were no rooms available, and that, in fact, the hotel was "overbooked." That was the extent of our conversation. She did not offer to contact me if a room became available, nor did she offer help with finding another place to stay.

The following morning I checked out of my room. I, again, inquired as to whether any rooms became available. I was told no. That was it. They, basically, threw me into the street. I'm sure that I am not the only person to have stayed at Loews while their loved one was in the hospital, and may need to stay an extra night or two while their family member was recovering. A loved one being hospitalized is stressful enough. I surely didn't need the stress of having to find a place to stay.

Fortunately, I have been to Philly many times, and know my way around. I went directly across the street to the Marriott, and they were more than helpful. I was even given a free upgrade to a corner room. The entire staff was sympathetic, friendly, courteous, and went out of their way. The room I stayed in was actually nicer and quieter than the room that I had stayed in at Loews. I would highly recommend staying at the Marriott on Market Street whether someone is in the hospital, you are in Philly for business, or are just visiting. I can't say enough nice things about this hotel.

I have stayed at many different hotels. When I was in Tampa, a broken transformer near the hotel that I was staying at caused a power outage. They not only made us other reservations at a rival hotel, but also provided shuttle service to the new place. That's customer service !!!!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on a "luxury" king room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Patricia B
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Patricia B,

We truly appreciate that time you have taken to share review of your recent experience at Loews Philadelphia. We sincerely apologize that our staff was less than accommodating and it is truly disheartening to hear that your stay was anything less than a memorable experience. Please know that I have reviewed your feedback with our Director of Front Office.

Your feedback is extremely important to us and I would appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with you. If you could afford the time, I may be reached directly at this number (215-231-7221). I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel has the largest basic room I have ever seen. I would say this is a solid 4 star hotel. Nothing fancy but everything is comfortable here. Subway is just under the building. Window view is great if you have a room facing the river. I like the bath soap of this hotel very much!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Astoria_HKG,

Thank you for choosing Loews Philadelphia, and sharing your wonderful experience. We truly appreciate your kind compliments and certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back and serving you again.

Regards,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We had a wonderful experience at the Loews Hotel Philadelphia. Beautiful modern rooms with superb views of Philadelphia. Service was quick and friendly, and the hotel's location couldn't be better. Great restaurants and shopping are all a quick walk away!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Emilieckl,

Thank you for your taking the time to share your experience. It is wonderful to read that you had a fantastic visit at our property. We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Regards,

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed for four nights and really liked the hotel. Lovely staff, really clean and well maintained in a great location for travel and walking around the city centre. Pool is not great - far too many chemicals and just two small segmented lanes but staff at health centre really helpful. Bus and subways on the doorstep or you can choose from any one of Philly's truly ludicrously awful taxis (they are the worst in my experience by far - but not hotels fault:)

Simple check in and out and no fuss. A lovely new bar and restaurant opened while I was there and it was really comfortable. Staff were a little over attentive but it was the first opening so time to get that right yet.

As a Brit I really missed tea in my room (only green tea available) and decent news channels on the TV but that is no more than a passing selfish wish! Would recommend a stay to others.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Sara P,

We appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed recounting of your stay, and are grateful for you recognizing all of the services we provide especially our team members for the service they consistently provide every day.

With 18 reviews in 8 cities, we truly value your comments, and look forward to seeing you again soon!
All the best,

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Not the greatest hotel for the price but it wasn't bad. I was here for the AAHOA conference hosted this year in Philadelphia. The rooms are clean but it does show age and lack of preventive maintenance and upkeep. Being a hotelier myself, I would take charge of this prime location and strive to be a well maintained property. Especially when the room rates are at a premium. Vents are rarely cleaned out and harbor lots of visible dust, both in the room and in the bathroom. When maintenance came to check on the broken heater, the filter was no where close to clean. It was disgusting! (Hotel impossible episode horror flashback!) I wash appalled to see the lack of cleanliness in terms of air quality inside the room. Chrome fixtures show rust and age. These are not major renovations and should be handled periodically. The parking is over priced and is not well synced with the hotel. However being in downtown, it's not bad. I had a few issues but the staff took care of it but it took convincing. Otherwise, gym, spa, pool and the newly revamped restaurant Bank and Bourbon are all great. *****One person I must commend is Matt, the young concierge and bellman. He went above and beyond to make sure my stay was pleasant. He's a friendly and humble individual, works very VERY hard, take pride and enjoys his job. Management needs to hire more like him or promote him. He deserves it! I wish I can find someone like him at my hotel in Los Angeles. Despite minor issues which I can over look, one thing I cannot let go is the horrible dust in the filter and vents, management needs to address this serious issue as it is severely ignored. It's a nice hotel and it's not right to let air quality not be a priority. I would return back if I had another convention in Philly. By the way, it's technically across the street from the convention center but it's really 2 short blocks from the main hub/ core of the convention center. The convention center is huge! Another thing, the hotel valet parking is around the corner on 12th st, not on arch/ market st. as your GPS will guide you too.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear PKPLosAngeles,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Philadelphia, and for taking the time to write about your experience. Please know that I have alerted my Director of Engineering of your comments regarding the conditions of the vents so that we may continue to provide routine and preventive enhancements to our hotel.
Our concierge Matt is a true gem of ours and I am delighted to that he was able to offer you friendly and courteous service throughout your stay.
I truly appreciate you taking the time to give feedback on your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Loews Philadelphia Hotel.
All the best,