“Great choice in Philly and great fitness center”

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #7 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles
“Great choice in Philly and great fitness center”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Loews is a very good choice in downtown Philadelphia. It is well located with friendly staff and nice rooms. The recent renovation is well-done. The rooms are somewhat larger than typical hotel rooms and there is plenty of workspace. The rooms are also exceptionally light and bright which is very helpful if one needs to get work done in the room. (It would be helpful to have more outlets, though). The rooms are quiet, there are in-room safes, and a good selection of television channels.

The toiletries in the bathroom are nice with bottles that are slightly larger than is typical, however, they were not replace on my second day so I had no shampoo or conditioner. There are plenty of towels and nice bathrobes.

The fitness center is exceptional--one of the best I have seen in hotels. It is newly renovated with lots of new equipment and quite spacious. There are 8 treadmills, 6 elliptical machines and 4 bikes. There are also medicine balls, balance balls, yoga mats, free weights and universal machines. There are plenty of towel and nice locker rooms. They even have ice cold water with fruit slices. The cardio machines have their own tvs—but bring your own headphones. The hotel also sells athletic gear in case you forgot something.

I was there for a two day conference and the catering was very good—far better food than most conference venues. I didn’t try the restaurant but it looked expensive. The renovated lobby bar seems very popular.

The location is terrific. There are lots of places to walk to and it is convenient to mass transit. Even a cab ride from the airport is relatively cheap.

The drawback of the hotel is the elevators. They don’t seem sufficient for the hotel. The waits could be outrageous. They also have two banks of elevators, one up to the 19th floor and one from the 19th to the 33rd. If you are traveling with others, be sure to have rooms on floors in the same bank or the commute, with the need to change cars, can be quiet long. Our meeting was on the 33rd floor, I was on the 15th, so I have to change banks of elevators every time I went up or down. With the long waits it got to be annoying.

Other than that--it is a great choice. If I weren't a gold member in Marriott Rewards (with access to the club lounge) I would stay here more often

2 Thank runkate
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear runkate,

Thank you for choosing Loews Philadelphia and sharing your wonderful experience. We truly appreciate your kind compliments and certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back and serving you again.
All the best,
Sean C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,028)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I enjoyed a brief two-night stay at this hotel during a conference held at the same hotel. Overall, I found the room (standard, king bed) to be well-sized and clean with a spacious bathroom (although additional electrical outlets are needed). The lobby provided a large seating/gathering area as well as options for drinks and/or a meal. Check-in and out was efficient and those at the front desk courteous and helpful. Late check-out was not available during my stay; however, they were able to store my bags downstairs and I was able to use the gym/spa area to freshen up prior to heading to the airport. I found the location to be convenient and it was a pleasure to take a quick walk to the Reading Terminal Market (large indoor market with numerous choices). My only complaint was the location of my room – immediately next to the elevators – both the noise of the elevators themselves and people coming on/off was fairly intrusive. Overall, I would stay again; however, I strongly recommend requesting a room away from the large elevator bank.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Virginia412
Dear Virginia412,
We are happy that you chose to stay with us at Loews Philadelphia and thrilled to hear that the rooms were spacious and met your expectations. We are extremely thankful to you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience.
All the best,
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My Stay was overly pleasent loved every minute... The Staff was professional and attentive
Loved:
Ray and Tariq and Bellman
The Bar/Resturant was cool and relaxing and they knew my beverage Of Choice... i had ONE Incident with Brian in the Resturant, he was not on his game, un attentaivem, and kind of ignored me, how ever a breif conversation with management , and the issue was handled.

every one else in the restureant was AWESOME!!!!

Special Shout out to KIM on the 31st Floor, Hello from Chevis.
She was the one who really made my mornings Wonderful

vALET pARKING STAFF WAS VERY PROFESSIONAL!!!
Alfred and Zach took great care of me!

and the SPA!!!!! OMG

Room Tip: get the31st floor if you can
Dear Chevis,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It is wonderful to read that you had a fantastic visit at our property. All our team members such as Ray, Tariq, Kim, Alfred and Zach are truly committed to provide genuinely delivered service to all our guests. It is because of their dedication to our guests that we are one of the most iconic hotels in our market. We truly appreciate your wonderful review and look forward to your return visit.

Magenta, Italy
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Bright and cool during on day-time, this wonderful hotel shades to a fascinating, sophisticated niche with glittering cocktails and warm amber-colored lights. The new lobby and restaurant are a hymn to design and high-class cuisine, perfectly harmonized with the attentive care of the staff. My stay couldn't have been more enjoyable than it actually was. In one word: Excellent!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andrea_87_872014
west falls,new york
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Was on a business conference. was well greeted. Staff was very nice, friendly, courteous and helpful. Rooms were well appointed, comfortable. Bed was very comfortable. only bad point was not enough electrical outlets in the bathroom, only had one plug in outlet,

A lot of sights to see but didn't get chance being in a conference but looked exciting to see if had the time. walking distance to everything.

Food was very good seeing we stayed in hotel entire time for the meetings.

Room Tip: corner room higher floors, great view could see from two sides.
1 Thank diplomatlimo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I have booked for a 10 day business stay at Loews Philadelphia. After 18 hours of turbulent travel; it was wonderful to have been welcomed by an efficient front desk staff member. Particularly heartening was the service I received from Mr Wilzor Ismeo who on learning that I had a long term booking went out of his way to ensure that my stay would be as comfortable as possible. He fitted the room with a microwave, a mini fridge and an electric kettle and made several attempts to get the correct plug point fitting so that my South African appliances would work. He was extremely reliable and attended to my needs swiftly.
Thanks Mr Ismeo your help and professionalism is highly appreciated. Juliet Perumal

Room Tip: Difficult to say as the hotel was fully booked and I settled for a room that was assigned to me.
Green Features: It is good that Loews subscribes to environmentally friendly practices.
1 Thank Juliet P
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Juliet P,

I am thrilled to read that you had a great time at our hotel and thank you for recognizing Wilzor Ismeo who is truly a gem in our eyes. Please know that I will ensure that Wilzor receives the best recognition for his service excellence.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Regards,
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I've always had a great stay at this particular hotel. I've always had great stays with Loews! Wonderful staff, friendly, courteous and helpful. Clean and the rooms are wonderful! Food was great as far as the food for a business meeting. Can't go wrong with this hotel!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Moondanced
Dear Moondanced,

Thank you for your lovely review and we truly appreciate your time and high remarks about our hotel. We are so pleased that we are always your home and away from home when you are in Philadelphia. We continuously strive to anticipate the needs of our guests and to offer the very best in service.

Your sincere words mean so very much and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.