“Top-shelf accommodations in downtown Philly”

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #7 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
“Top-shelf accommodations in downtown Philly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

This served as the media HQ for the 2014 NCAA Frozen Four, and was a great host site. Centrally located near plenty of food and nightlife options, with parking on-site and nearby (although the $38 daily parking charge seemed exorbitant). The service was outstanding, rooms clean and well-appointed and the on-site workout center was one of the best-equipped I'd ever encountered. Interesting history as well, as the hotel was once a bank building and has been flawlessly converted into high-rise luxury. High-floor rooms offer stunning views of the city and surrounding region. If you're in Philadelphia and want to splurge, this is the place to go.

Room Tip: If you want an amazing view, get something on the 20th floor or higher.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms, our location to everything Philly has to offer, and the new equipment in the fitness center. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (966)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I said in this hotel for a few days in April 2014. I don't stay in Loews hotels very often so it was a pleasant surprise. There was only one problem and it was resolved in a very nice way so it made me think even more highly of this hotel. The check in process was quick and easy, but when I entered the room, the beds were not made. Everything else was clean and neat as I would expect. So I called the desk and within 15 minutes a staff person came to check on the room and within an hour the room was made up. They checked up on everything later and left a very nice note with a bottle of wine to make up for the problem. The room was nicely furnished and was quiet. For a hotel this size, the elevators worked very well. I was on the 18th floor and I thought that might be a problem. The restaurant in the hotel serves good food, but the menu is limited. There are plenty of other places to eat nearby. The location of the hotel is very good, with many of the major sites of Philadelphia within walking distance. Overall, staying at this hotel was a very good experience.

Room Tip: My room faced west on the 18th floor. My view was of an office tower, but I could see William Penn...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased to have been your first Loews Hotel. I am sorry about the housekeeping issue but its seems our team did a great job with service recovery. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
Banff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

I choose Loews hotel because it's an historic building now a 5 x hotel on the main road in Philadelphia across from Hard Rock Cafe so that made it good for me, close to most attractions to do with Benjamin Franklin liberty bell walked a 1000 miles first day my second day I drove round town the hotel was also a great place to stay had three breakfast and one dinner which was very good would recommend

Room Tip: Look around to get a good price direct to hotel can be expensive
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you chose to spoil yourself with our newly renovated rooms and convenient location to a lot of attractions in the city. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
West Lafayette, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I needed to attend a major conference for a few days at the Convention Center and surrounding hotels (including the Loews). I was traveling on the company dime, but those dimes are very carefully counted, so I was looking for a decent deal. I ended up winning two nights at the Loews Philadelphia on Priceline and it turned out to be a great deal.

First of all, for anyone not interested in paying for a taxi or sharing a shuttle that will stop at seemingly every stop in the city, the Loews is very conveniently located to a stop on the airport train. The airport trains, which depart every 30 minutes (time depends on terminal) are a cash-only (unless you have already purchased a ticket) operation where you pay the conductor once onboard. For $8, you can go to any city-center Philadelphia stop from the airport, and the Loews is very near (across the street) from the Market East stop below the convention center.

Check-in was fairly efficient, and I quickly was given a room on the 7th floor. I would call it a fairly standard "Priceline" room in that it was near the elevator and overlooked the roof of a nearby building. None of that really mattered to me though. Instead, I'll focus on the idea that the room seemed very clean, was of decent size, was quiet, and had free wifi. I was actually astonished about the free wifi ... it was sufficient for most tasks I needed it for (web browsing, email, etc), though you are asked to pay $15/day for premium service if you want to VPN, use Netflix, etc. The room also included a Keurig coffee system. Housekeeping did a good job as well.

My only concerns were fairly minor and all had to do the shower/tub. First of all, the plug did not work properly in that it would not stay open while water was hitting it (perhaps it was just me, though I tried multiple different operations to see if I could get it to stick) so I ended up just wedging it open in with a washcloth. Secondly, the hot water tended to take a few minutes to work its way through the system, but the first time, I was seriously worried I would only get a tepid shower (it was easy to have the water too hot because of this delay). Lastly, the soap holder used was placed in a very awkward place for cleaning, and there was a small but noticeable mold build up in the grout behind it if you looked for it ... but again, you had to look). The restaurant and bar in the lobby were a bit overpriced, but I don't think that is unexpected in this setting.

This hotel was placed perfectly for a conference with the convention center and other large conference hotels right across the street. Because of this, there were also many restaurants in the area, as well as more boutique food shopping in the Reading Terminal Market. Historical sights were a short walk down Market Street ... a trip that also yielded convenience and drug stores (CVS, Walgreens) if you need to stock up on snacks or medical supplies.

All-in-all, I had an excellent stay at the Loews.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you had such a great stay during your conference. Our location is a bonus for our newly renovated rooms and our first class staff. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

This hotel is located in center city Philadelphia. I stayed on a high floor and had a great urban view. The rooms have been recently renovated as well as the lobby and restaurant. The very large and lounge-like lobby seating is comfortable and cushy with a large screen TV and bar service. It's a great place to hang out, socialize, work on your laptop or watch a TV. The adjacent restaurant has a rustic, yet contemporary decor and a new menu. I had great seafood entrees and clever vegetable side dishes. The deserts are sublime. Everything is new and fresh and the staff are attentive and helpful. I was on a business trip and felt very comfortable with free wifi in the rooms and lobby.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the more expansive the view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed our newly renovated lobby experience. Our restaurant and lobby lounge seem to really be a crowd pleaser. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
Livingston, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed for one night. As stated by others, the rooms are big by urban standards. Really a superior room, equipped with super comfy towel. The valet parkers, front desk and bellhops were the picture of terrific service!

We hit one speed bump. At 10:30pm, we went to the bar for a night cap. The lounge bar and the restaurant bar were filled. Since it was late for people to come for dinner, we asked the hostess if we could sit at a table. She said sit at any table without silverware and placemats. We did so and we were immediately ejected from those seats in a rude fashion by another hostess. We advised the front desk about this situation. They apologized profusely, gave us a $50 room service credit and asked me to ID the employee who did this. I declined to ID her, I think they would have fired her there. As my wife said, we all make mistakes, it's how you handle it. We were treated rudely in the restaurant, but the hotel could not have been more sympahetic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scarletknight29
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased our team provided such a first class experience. I apologize for the restaurant, this is certainly not our service standards. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights for a conference in early April, in a double room shared with a colleagues attending the same conference. My colleague arrived before I did and, not satisfied with the first room they assigned her (on a low floor, facing a rooftop), requested a different one. The alternative was also not to her liking, looking directly into an office building, so she asked again and the staff accommodated her by putting us on the 28th floor in a room with a beautiful view of the Phila skyline. Her requests were received in a friendly way and immediately honored, with no wait time. Also, when we asked to extend our checkout on the third day, this request was accommodated. The hotel was recently refurbished in a sleek rendition of art deco style, but archival photographs of the original building (which used to house the PSFS bank) placed throughout the property in a nod to history. The beds are extremely comfortable, and the fitness center/pool is the nicest I've ever seen in an urban hotel. One can swim real laps in this pool! There is a spa adjacent to the fitness room and though I did not partake of its services it appeared to be very luxurious. I was here for business but would happily return for pleasure.

Room Tip: If you don't like the room you're given, ask for something different.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you loved your high floor room with the view. Our team wants to make sure that all guests are more than satisfied when they stay with us. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.