“Convenient Location - Historic Building”

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #8 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed at Lowes Philadelphia Hotel last week while on a business trip. I was excited to learn my clients had chosen this hotel because of the architectural importance of the building (PSFS - Philadelphia Savings Fund Society) the first US skyscraper, constructed in 1932. The lobby and hallways are of black Belgian granite and Italian marble. The modernist design was a bit stark for me but many aspects of the hotel are beautiful, for example the huge vault door at the end of the reception hall. Perhaps because of the dark colors and extremely high ceilings and vastness on each floor I visited, the hotel seemed a bit eerie to me. My room was one of two on a short hall, with two very large windows on either outward facing wall. I could see beautiful old buildings all round and had a great view of the city from the 7th floor. I had a queen bed, nice modern furniture, large screen TV, for once, an easy to operate alarm clock with printed easy to follow instructions, closet safe, large bathroom, gorgeous work/dining table. The room was thoughtfully appointed making it easy to work, dine and relax. Power outlets and USB ports at the work desk (situated in front of one of the huge windows that let in gorgeous sunlight/moonlight) were conveniently located so cords were out of the way but still very accessible. Power outlets were strategically placed for optimum convenience and my room had three telephones, also conveniently located. The first evening I was there the fire alarm sounded and the strobe lights were going off in the small sleeping area. The PA system was also very loud. It was thankfully a false alarm but I was well impressed with the protocol. Clear directions and regular updates were given until the fire department had confirmed there was no danger. Meeting rooms for the event I attended were adequate and catering was delicious with a lot of choices. I was especially pleased at dinner as there were several tasty vegetable dishes and fresh salad. Hotel staff was exceptionally professional, helpful, courteous and friendly. I had to reschedule my flight and forgot to alert the event planner so it was questionable whether I'd have a room upon arrival as the hotel was booked. I spoke with two very helpful staff members mid-morning the day of my arrival and they were working on a solution. Though I arrived after midnight mid-week, the hotel was able to accommodate me for the extra night. Everyone I spoke with from the attendants in the parking garage who gave me directions to the drug store to room service and reception desk staff were helpful and friendly. As with other hotels of this caliber, staff make you feel welcome and important, greeting you by name. Browsing around the hotel during breaks from the meeting I enjoyed reading placards telling about the construction materials and points of interest in the building. The hotel is right in the center of everything - dining, shopping, history. I would have enjoyed having more time to explore but only made it out briefly one evening to go to the drug store on the next block. Some highlights included the complimentary toiletries which smelled incredible along with the modern furniture and design of the room. Guest convenience was taken into account in every aspect, even down to the mini bar. A detailed list of prices and available items was tastefully posted above the bar which contained liquor, water, tea, juice and domestic and imported beer. Larger portion snacks were also available. I especially liked the white quartz work area - it seemed so much cleaner than the usual hotel desk. There were a few issues that were less than ideal. The toilet kept running every few minutes which kept me awake the first evening. The water in the sink and shower didn't get hot until the second day. I literally ran the water in the shower for 10 minutes before it began to heat up and because I was short on time I had to shower and wash my hair in freezing cold water. There was some hair in the shower from a previous guest and some mildew on the wall tiles. I also could not get the temperature in the room to a comfortable level - I froze most of the night though I kept turning the thermostat higher. Though the sheets looked clean (no hair, lint, etc.) they did look worn and definitely did not smell fresh - they actually smelled as if they had not been changed and there was a strange unpleasant odor on one of the chairs. The smell from the sheets was so offensive that was another thing that kept me awake. Another guest attending the meeting mentioned the same thing about the bedding in her room. The area of the room where the bed sits is very close to the outer wall and window so it was hard to get to that window to adjust the curtains. As my room was adjacent to the elevators I heard the floor bells dinging all night long and because the hotel is situated in the city center, there were frequent police, fire and ambulance sirens at all hours though amazingly, I couldn't really hear the guests in the adjacent room except when they closed the door. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay and would recommend the hotel to business travelers or couples who would like to be convenient to historic sites.

Room Tip: The two room configuration with the double windows are great, but you might have to deal with the an...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for your recent stay during your business meeting. We are pleased you appreciated the historical importance of the building and are thrilled you enjoyed the property. We are happy that you found the guestrooms to be well appointed for dining and working. We are pleased you enjoyed the assistance of our friendly and helpful team members who seek to make every experience a memorable one. We are happy you enjoyed dining at the hotel and we apologize that you were not pleased with your sheets and your shower, but overall it sounds like you enjoyed our hotel and look forward to visiting again. We hope next time you will have the opportunity to see the city; we are centrally located in the heart of Philadelphia, walking distance to great shopping, dining and the historic sites.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed here the evening of August 20th, and due to a delayed flight, I was only there for eight hours but loved it. Checking was a breeze and very friendly and welcoming. Even at midnight, the bar and lounge were buzzing. Very hip. I however was exhausted and just wanted a quiet, cold room.

I opened the door to my corner luxury room and fell in love. This hotel is just my style, rather contemporary with some modern. Two walls had massive windows with gorgeous nighttime views of the clock tower and various towers nearby. The AC was cold and quiet. The toiletries were tops and the coffee and mini bar nicely stocked.

The beds here deserve their own paragraph. Top quality linens and real feather duvets with plush feather pillows and high bread count. It's like sleeping on a cloud. The mattress was a thick pillow top and I passed out until my alarm went off, which is very rare.

Bathroom water pressure is fabulous and you get nice hot water quickly. My only gripe here is that for such an amazing room, the bathroom could be larger.

Checkout was not as easy, two people manned the front this morning and had a line six people deep that just kept coming. Slight management over site for eight in the morning.

Overall, loved it and will return.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased that check-in was easy and that you enjoyed your corner, luxury room. We are thrilled you enjoyed the style of the hotel, blending the historic with modern touches. We are happy you enjoyed the amenities, especially your praises about our beds which are very comfortable! We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just a normal over night trip that my girlfriend was expecting a very nice room, upon check in everything seemed fancy. But once in the room, it felt like a slightly up scale motel room, the carpet didn't appear to be vacuumed, the curtains had stains on them, the throw pillows on the bed smelled of body oder, and the bathroom seemed to be cleaned last minute in an extra hurry. But the bath room was quite nice. Overall sleep was good. The view was nice and the location was perfect for a trip around Philadelphia.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We apologize if you did not enjoy the guestroom and I welcome the opportunity to further discuss your issues with you, please reach out to me directly. I am pleased that you did sleep well, enjoyed the view and our prime location – walking distance to the historic district, shopping and dining. We hope you will afford us another opportunity with a return visit.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

My family stayed 6 days and had 2 rooms on the 31st floor. One with a city view and the other with the river view. I personally preferred the river view, but both were beautiful views. River view room seemed sunnier and was larger. Everything about this hotel was excellent. Excellent service, price, location, and accommodations! I highly recommend staying here. This experience has made me consider Loews hotels as one of my top choices when traveling.

Room Tip: Choose river view room, 31st or 32nd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel and your fabulous review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your views and that you were happy with the service, price, location and accommodations. We look forward to hosting you here again at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel and at other Loews Hotels as you travel!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

The staff is average on their service. The Hotel was not the cleanest Lowes I've been in. Over priced. But Great location. The Restaurant was over priced but had good service and food good but you still didn't feel like you got your money's worth. I stayed twice at this Hotel and will never stay again. I got a large corner suite for $350 for the night. and I feel like I was totally ripped off. It was hot the AC didn't work well. It was after 4pm and our room wasn't even ready. We waited 45 minutes and I had to go back up to the desk after they assured me they would call my cell to let me know the room was ready. They gave us two free drinks for the confusion. It didn't make up for the time lost. The room had dust mites and movies were not working right. Big disappointment. I love the Lowes chains but not this one! I like the one in San Diego!

Room Tip: Go to a better hotel . There are plenty in the area
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at our property. We strive to make every stay a memorable one and we are disappointed that we failed to do so during your recent stay. I welcome the opportunity to further discuss your stay; you can reach out to me directly. I hope you will afford us another opportunity in the future with a return visit.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is the friendliest most polished hotel staff I've encountered in some time. The rooms are nicely furnished and bright and the hotel is perfectly located in center city Philadelphia. I love this hotel and strongly urge you to give it a try as I think you'll be as impressed as I was.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel and your wonderful review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our friendly team members and that they made your stay memorable. We are happy you enjoyed the guestrooms and the location, central to everything! We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Great hotel, clean rooms, great central location, knowledgeable and friendly staff, would definitely consider staying here again on my next visit...received upgrade on my room for an extra 15 dollars a night well worth it waking up to that view every morning was the best part...have to say I more than enjoyed my stay here....only problem would be the parking at 45 dollars a night I decided to park in the parking garage across the street that was 18 dollars a night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed the clean guestrooms, knowledgeable and friendly team members and our central location walking distance to historic sites, great dining and shopping. We look forward to hosting you again soon.