“Perfect location, wonderful staff, poor maid service”

The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park
Ranked #28 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Huntly, Virginia
“Perfect location, wonderful staff, poor maid service”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

The location is perfect if your goal is to see Old City and have a nice view from your window. The hotel itself is very pretty. The lobby staff (front desk, valet, concierge, etc) are incredibly friendly, courteous and helpful. The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. The maid service we had was poor in that they didn't tuck in the bottom sheets one night or supply us with a sufficient number of robes or towels (even after leaving a note requesting more than 2 bath towels). Had we called the front desk, I'm sure they would've delivered extra towels promptly, though. We also couldn't get a good water temperature in the shower most days. The water was either too hot or too cold. We had one issue with a loud sound from, possibly, a furnace or generator. I called the front desk and the problem was resolved within 30 minutes. Like I said, the hotel staff is wonderful. Internet is iffy on the 12th floor, so if you want reliable internet, its best to get a lower room. We didn't watch much TV, but were unable to adjust the aspect ratio on the LCD TV to correct the distorted images from an incorrect setting. Overall, it was a nice stay, but we're not sure we'd stay there again because of the maid service issues.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I've stayed at a few different Omni properties and this one by far, sad to say, needs help. Based on previous experiences at Omni hotels, I had a level of expectation on hotel service and quality for the brand.

I had read previous reviews about street noise and when I checked in, I asked the front desk if they could put me in a room that doesn't face the street. He said he was going to put me on the quiet side of the hotel. But what I got was a 4th floor room that faced directly out onto Chestnut. There must be a bus stop right in front of the hotel so all night you hear the buses beep and buzz by your room as if the bus stop is in your room! Many of you might be thinking "well it's a city and you should expect city noise". This is true as I travel many times to New York for business. However, unlike the triple paned windows in New York that prevent most of the noise from seeping into your room, the Omni is clearly using some cheap single pane window and hasn't updated it in quite some time.

I did ask the front desk if there were any other rooms available I could switch to and they said they will leave a message for the on-duty manager to get back to me. I checked in with the front desk when I went out for dinner and they said they definitely left a message with the manager and that he would get back to me soon. I never heard from the manager during my entire stay.

Speaking of updating, the rooms are in desperate need of one. There is an "old world charm" to the rooms but the carpets were ragged, paint/wallpaper chipping off the walls, and the bathroom needs a massive scrub down from built up mildew. Ladies, pack a mirror because there was no vanity mirror here to help put your makeup on.

I could have easily given this hotel a 1 or 2 stars but the saving grace of my stay was the friendliness of the rest of the staff. Everyone from the waitress at the hotel restaurant to the doorman/bellman was courteous and friendly. They wanted to make sure you were having a pleasant stay. Even the gentleman that initially took my message about changing rooms - he knew that the manager never got back to me and offered me a free breakfast coupon to try to make it up to me. Perhaps these people could give that on-duty manager a lesson in customer service.

Location wise, the hotel is just a block from Independence Hall. The location was great and I think it's also close to public transportation (remember the bus?).

If I was coming back to Philly on business again, I'll make sure to remember to stay at the Hotel Monaco next door. Perhaps they have managers who care about their guests.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor not facing the street.
1 Thank lucidlilies
Charlotte, United States
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I've stayed here on previous occasions, and it is by far the best in customer service, and amenities. The furnishings and decor are fabulous. Everyone is professional and goes out of their to please the customer.

Millburn, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

The Omni is centrally located, and offers nice facilities for the kids. We spent last weekend here with our 11 and 13 year olds, and the indoor pool was warm, and a perfect break. The staff was friendly, and the hotel lobby is impressive and comfortable. The towels in the bathrooms were more plush than most hotels, too! Upon leaving, we realized that dogs are welcome, too. May bring the little guy next time. Would definitely recommend this hotel for couples or families.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
paoli, United States
Reviewed 22 November 2013

excellent hotel, restaurant & spa & the location is perfect to see the historic sites of Philadelphia. I would definitely return if in the area. The local buses come directly in front of the hotel & cabs are also plentiful in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Phoenix, United States
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The room and service is what you would expect from a 4-star hotel. Perfect location for the Old Town experience and easy freeway access or Mass Transit. The room was spacious, great city views and loved the gesture of providing free water and coffee delivery service. The concierge staff was always full of great tips and advise. My only complaint as a business traveler was the slow internet speed and cost of valet parking. At times it was no better than dial up service and had to use my cell service wi-fi when I needed to get quick response. I am sure the wireless internet access is highly dependent on location in the hotel from the access point and traffic bandwidth at the time of use. All the good points including a great rate helped overcome these negatives and would definitely consider coming back.

Michigan, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2013

First time at Omni and it was an awesome experience. Beautiful accommodations, exceptional friendliness of staff and service was outstanding. I was amazed at the size of the bathroom - plenty of room to feel comfortable (there were 3 of us sharing a room). I would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends