“Excellent Choice for Philadelphia”

The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park
Ranked #25 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Haddonfield, New Jersey
“Excellent Choice for Philadelphia”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The Omni is a fantastic choice for travlers going to the "Old City"/Historical area of Philadelphia. My wife and I just stayed there for a birthday get-away and the location, rooms and staff are all exceptional. This is a great value. I did not use the fitness club or spa services but they did look very nice. Room Service was quick and good

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. Also, if celebrating a special occasion, let the staff know a few days befor...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
herminie, United States
Reviewed 13 January 2014

A very nice hotel and the area was walking distance to everything it was a great experience. the hotel staff was very helpful .the valet parking was on top of things we barely waited for our car. the bathroom was large and very well lighted .the mini bar was stocked with a very nice variety .the room was very comfortable .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

New York City

First, the good:
-comfortable beds
-clean linens
-bathrobes
-lots of electrical outlets in the room
-free WiFi

Needs improvement:
-shower was not hot
-room access and reservations (see below)

My experience:

We got there for the conference at about 11 am. We needed to leave our bags as our room wasn't ready. My office booked a block of rooms through work, and our names were associated with each room. The staff at this time was courteous and took down my cell phone number in order to contact me when the room was available. We left our bags with the desk. They called me about 2 hours later (while I was in a meeting) to let us know our room was ready. So far, so good!

We get to the hotel after a long, busy, and stressful day of meetings at around 9 pm. I go to the desk to pick up the key, and we're given the room. At this point there seemed to be some confusion about who was in what room, but they gave us the key and we went up the elevator. We get to the room and it was filled with our coworkers stuff. Oops! We go back down and state there must have been confusion. I figure it is because I share a first name with one of my other coworkers and someone didn't check the billing.

The desk worker apologizes, gives us another key, and we head up. We walk in this time to my female coworker changing clothes. Very embarrassing. We head back down. At this point the desk worker fiddles on the computer and says "this is all very confusing" but creates another magnetic keycard for us and we go back up. Having learnt my lesson, I knock this time. Guess what? The room was occupied.

I head back down and at this point I am starting to get annoyed. I am very tired and want to get to bed and take off my tie. At this point she says "It's all very confusing because YOU booked the room under different names, YOU didn't book enough rooms" -- not even a hint of apologizing for sending us to the wrong room 3 times! She calls my coworker to straighten it out and tells him that "I'm very upset" about the whole affair. She suggests to him that we are going to need to share a room (four adult males in a room... what fun for a business trip!) Finally we get it all straightened out (we had booked the correct number of rooms!), and she gets us in another room. Thankfully it was unoccupied. A full hour later it was resolved.

They really need to upgrade to a computer system that checks whether the room is occupied and that can handle complex reservations.

Next time I go to Philly I will stay somewhere else.

I stayed in the Garden Inn once, which wasn't as fancy, but was definitely cheaper and had very nice customer service.

Room Tip: make sure there is no one in the room!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Lexington, KY
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed here on some snowy January days. It was a comfortable and convenient place to stay. Hotel staff members made us feel welcome. We especially enjoyed the proximity to the historic sites and the indoor pool area. The hotel felt safe and well-maintained. Access to public transportation isn't bad either.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CW1807
ca
Reviewed 6 January 2014

What a nice hotel. Starting with the room decor, the size of the rooms, the comfortable beds, the nice bathroom, the location and the courteous staff. It is just a nice place to stay. The only thing is they don't always have a concierge on staff but there is an electronic board that features most of the info you need and it is such an easily navigible city that it isn't really necessary. Really a nice stay. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Located in the old city area of Philadelphia, the Omni Hotel was centrally located near the historic sites. The hotel is definitely not a cookie cutter building and is geared towards more sophisticated travelers. The moment one walks into the lobby you know its a unique place. A harp player was playing music in the lobby along with a fireplace. The hotel has an onsite restaurant, a spa, pool, and other amenities. While I tend to stay in more basic hotels, the Omni hotel was a joy to stay in.

My room was very large with great amenities including a Bose clock radio and comfortable bed. The Internet access was fast along with a great desk for work purposes. The bathroom was quite nice but not as up to date other places. However it was more than suitable for my purposes. One caveat was the lack of vending machines but a nearby shop was open until 10pm next to the hotel. The room also had a nice view of the surrounding historical area.

During my stay I was able to use their pool area which was located in the basement area. The pool right next to their spa and fitness center. While not large, the pool had a nice spa feel to it with wooden chairs and towels. A hot tub was situated alongside the pool. Two staff members were more than helpful with questions. The pool was heated.

The location of hotel is very close to Independence Hall, the Bourse building, and a subway stop. Market Street is only a few blocks away. Walking to many great restaurants was easy from the hotel. For a romantic getaway, this hotel would be great choice. For myself the hotel was a nice stay during a short stay on business.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kenneth E
Sayre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Just returning from a holiday stay at one of our favorite Philadelphia hotels. The Omni is perfectly located near the historic sites and great restaurant in this part of town. The price can be high, but if you look for deals, and being a loyalty member helps with this, its well worth it. We always take advantage of the free morning beverage offered to members.

One of the best attributes of the hotel is the staff. The valet, front desk, housekeeping and room service folks never miss a chance to say hello or thank you for staying at "their hotel". This attitude really sets the Omni apart and makes you feel special.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple