“Philadelphia Omni Has Seen Better Days”

The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park
Ranked #38 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The photos on the Omni's website are very misleading. The hotel is worn and tired, from the lobby entrance and to the hotel room. In addition to the dated appearance, it wasn't clean. The bathroom was dirty (the floor, the toilet, the mirror, and the vanity), the throw pillows were stained, and there was food under the desk! There were only two elevators and one was broken. However the general manager, David, was amazing! We decided to check out, rather than stay, and he was completely understanding. He invited us back for a free breakfast the following morning if we stayed somewhere nearby. The only perk to the hotel was its location; it is right in the historic district.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank msmith2kids
Write a ReviewReviews (1,685)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Omni HOtel is excellent. Friendly and helpful staff, large and lovely room, excellent amenities. This hotel is close to all Independence Mall attractions and is easy to reach to/from I-95 for those who are driving.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The building is gorgeous and it is indeed across the street from the park but so is the Hotel Monaco. I've stayed at both properties and in the interest of full disclosure I am a member of both of their loyalty programs. I could make this a comparison review of the two hotels but I won't since in all fairness it has been about a year between my visits to Philadelphia and I don't want to have to go by memory on what the Hotel Monaco did or did not have vs the Omni property. Since I have just left the Omni everything is still fresh! Check-in was the quickest I ever experienced and the staff is delightful. All the way down to the gentleman taking the sheets and towels bin to the basement! As all my reviews reveal- I am terrible with names so I won't bother trying to "give a shout out" to any particular staff member. I have since learned if they are heads above the others I will write down their names! The whole staff was genial and I didn't experience a single disgruntled employee!
My room was a king room with a lovely bed that had very little motion transfer (bless you!) as I sleep with a flopper. He can't just roll over it's as if he's a dolphin and has to leap in the air, turn and flop! My pillows were perfect-(can I take one home???) and the mattress was very comfy. My room was really spacious and they have a fully stocked mini bar which they give you a key for but I don't know why since mine never locked, I could just pull it open. If you need to use the fridge for your own items you can either take some stuff out and put in your own or call the front desk and they will have a second fridge brought to your room at no charge. The couch in my room was comfy and I loved the Bose wave radio. I only had one issue- the internet connection and my iPad. I liked to sit on the comfy couch with my iPad but the signal was significantly weaker there. I'd have a stronger signal if I held the iPad in the air ( oh yeah, stay like that for a while and feel the burn) or went across the room. They give you a card with the wifi info and technical support contact info at check-in. Did I call? No because this trip I wasn't staying in my room long enough to care but if I was trying to do some work I would have. It may not have even been a problem if I had my laptop with a bigger antenna.
The lobby is where they have your morning Starbucks coffee (yum) and later in the evening some light refreshments but when I was there they had a special event so the lobby was closed off for the private affair. They gave me a letter explaining it all rather nicely when you check in. I felt very well informed of what was going on. Overall I recommend the Omni.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from elevators for less hallway noise.
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My husband I and just returned from a whirlwind tour of NYC and Philadelphia and we both agree that the city of Brotherly Love was the "icing on the cake." Our experience at the Omni started off a little "warm" upon check-in with the AC not working properly. We let the front desk know and then we went on for the rest of the day with our tour of the city. Once we returned to our room later that evening we stopped by the front desk to ask about the AC and if everything was working. The front desk clerk was very apologetic, but explained the room was still not complete. She offered us some free drinks as the bar if we could wait while she checked on things. My husband and I not being in a hurry took her up on her offer. To our surprise ten minutes later the night manager Dave walked over to our table at the bar and personally apologized for our inconvenience and then went on to comp our room, drinks, and breakfast for the next morning. Eventually our room was fixed and my husband enjoyed the rest of the evening in our gorgeous cool room. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone! The hospitality was amazing!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed at the Omni at Independence Park for two night around the 4th of July long weekend and on balance I'd say it was a good experience. The hotel is very close to most attractions and to eating places. The room had a great view of the bridge in the distance and we could see some fireworks from our window. Size of rooms is good, even though they claim rooms are refurbished, they do seem a bit tired, particularly the bathroom.
Also their indoor pool is quite small and the water is not heated.

Room Tip: Seek a higher floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2014

From the moment I arrived, to the time I departed, I loved this hotel!
Elegant, clean with everything I could need.
Professional, friendly and obliging staff throughout this very well-located hotel.
Large, attractive and perfectly-appointed room. A fabulously comfortable (king) bed!
Excellent and specious bathroom. Tea and coffee-making in-room and room-service if I wanted this.
Being travel-weary (on a wet evening) I chose to stay in and dined at a table that was an extension of the bar area and enjoyed an excellent meal served by the friendly and most professional barman.
I had never been to Philadelphia before and was impressed by the hospitality. The perfect hotel experience; the hotel management has the "formula" just right! ( I travelled USA for just over two months and this hotel experience, proved by a large margin, the best of my vacation...and at a reasonable price.)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We used the Couples Romance package to celebrate our 22nd Anniversary, and there was a chilled bottle of the house champagne (Marquis de la Tour, not Chandon as indicated on the website, but still met with my wife's discerning tastes) and chocolate-coated strawberries waiting for us when we got to the room. Our room on the 11th floor overlooked Independence Park and was very luxurious, with bathrobes and slippers waiting on the bed. After enjoying all that, we went down to the pool, which is small but adequate, and had an enjoyable time there, as well. It is shared by the spa so voices are kept low, and we met a nice mother and daughter who had come in from the suburbs for a spa day. We had dinner in the hotel's restaurant, Azalea's, which was excellent and the wait staff brought us a delicious dessert compliments of the chef. The $100 food/beverage credit (part of the romance package) just covered our dinner and drinks. After that we enjoyed a nice twilight stroll around Independence Hall and the surrounding park. We didn't want to leave the following morning and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper-level room overlooking the park.